Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tryed welding the notorious rocker arm groove today and within minutes the top end was pinging at idle. Torn it back down and groove is back.

Has anyone ever layed some 316 filler in the groove? With the stainless being harder I would assume it would hold up better

·
Registered
30 Posts
316 ss isn't going to be a whole lot harder than normal weld, it may wear better but is maybe 32-35rockwell compared to 55-60Rockwell that the hardened rockers are.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are lots or hard face rods out there if that is what you are looking for.

Look on the Utectic site. They have great rods if you have the money.

I would recommend Stellite #6. Use a tig machine. This stuff runs very nice. I don't remember how hard it gets but it will also handle high heat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The other problem is once hard surfaced it has to be ground to a slight radius and have a fine polished finish or surface ground type finish. Any roughness can wear out the cam, especially if the rocker is now harder then the cam(which is probably why the rocker wears in the first place, it is intentionally softer). I've cleaned up a few rockers on other motors to get some chatter marks off, but I have special tools and jigs to keep the pad surface square with the lobe surface plus polish the pad to a proper finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts