Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I sold my 850 touring and bought a 2014 Grizzly 700 eps. Here are a few observations after putting about 70 miles on the grizz.... Its really hard to compare these 2 machines because they have different intended purposes, buddies of mine who can't believe I jumped ship asked me to compare....and I put it this way, its like comparing a cadillac to a camero.

The good(Grizzly)

Nimble, with a good light feel.
WAY lighter machine!
Power is good, I've only run basically 1 tank of fuel thru it, but its seems easy on fuel...first tank was 18mpg with a ton of start and stop driving. I think it could get 20mpg under the right conditions.
Great clutch engagement....even my wife noticed the difference LOL!
I love the STEEL RACKS....one of my biggest complaints on a Polaris.

The Bad

It has a stiffer ride, but its 6 inches shorter wheelbase so I expected that, plus it has stock tires. A good set of radial tires will help.
It feels less stable, but still feels planted.
4x4 system will take some getting use too, but not really a negative.
the storage is decent, but Polaris have better storage.
I have mixed feelings with dual lever braking after having single lever.
Tail lights......I like the dual rear tail lights on a Polaris.

A few more thoughts. I got rid of my touring because the warranty was getting ready to expire and as much as a I loved the ride and power it just required a lot of attention to keep the thing going. I never had any major motor, tranny, eps or 4x4 issues, but with 3500 miles I don't think I should of had all the ball joint and bushing failures, plus wheel bearings too.

I'm going to have a son in college before long and elected to buy the Grizzly because I thought it would give me a good balance of performance and reliability. I can't tell you how much more I like driving a lighter machine. The curb weight on the grizz is 650lbs and my touring weighed 1000lbs....That's a huge difference, I think that contributes to many of the ails of the XP line, as well as any Polaris...weight. Even my 08 sportsman 500efi weighs over 800lbs bone stock.....Well any way, I still have my ranger and won't get rid of it any time soon and have the other Polaris atvs. I believe Polaris are great machines, but if you ride a lot your going to pay more to keep them running. Between my atvs and ranger I put well over 2500 miles a year on them, so I guess we'll see how the grizzly does.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
Good luck with your new ride. Hope you aren't bothered by riding on three wheels more than on all four. Also be sure and let us know when you become a member of the GROC. :rotflmao:
Have fun with the new toy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sorry to see you leave the Touring line. But understand your reasoning. Now back to a 1up...because going with 2 riders on a Grizz would be scary!!...IMHO.

Good luck with the Grizz.

biz
:)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL! I knew you'd give me a hard time about it. they did widen them for 2014 and updated the suspension and gave more assist on the eps. it doesn't feel tipsy to me or top heavy, but it doesn't feel as planted as the 850 did. I test drove a 2013 grizz and a 2013 kq 750 and their eps systems seemed identical. where the 2014 grizz eps is most noticeable is in full diff-lock, the older grizz and KQ models gave little or no assist, you really had to man handle it to turn it.
I test drove a 2014 grizz and the 2013 grizz side by side and the 2014 is a noticeable improvement in ride and eps. plus, you can see the width difference......LOL! I already pulled a buddy of mine home with it... he drives a Polaris.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
There is nothing wrong with change. Sometimes it is good to get away from said item and try something else. I was a Ford man for years until I bought my Dodge Mega Cab and will not go back to Ford for a while. I am almost 100% sure I will not be going back to Polaris either unless it is the basic model of something. No XP for me becuase I hate working on it. It has been something from the day I got it. I am ready for something I can ride and clean up then put it to bed and not worry what is going to break next. I don't have that with my XP. I found a mint condition white Honda Rincon on Craigslist the other day and I am thinking of calling the guy. For my type of riding it would do just fine since I don't heal as fast as I once did.

Ronnie

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I researched for quite a while and it came down to the grizz or the KQ. The KQ had horrible stock tires and felt more like the 2013 and down grizzlys, from a ride and eps stand point. The KQ is a better looking machine than the grizz, but the grizz seemed to suit me more. Polaris are nice machines, but just require more maintenance. I have a buddy and his boss has 2 550 tourings and both have had valve jobs and new eps units with less than 2000 miles of usage and I think they're 2012's. I believe a Polaris will suit you fine if they don't get ridden that many miles. I talked to one dealer, the one I almost bought the KQ from, he sold Polaris and Suzuki and he said it wasn't uncommon to see suzuki's owned by old farmers that would get 16000 to 18000 miles with out any major issues, he said you'll be lucky to get 6000 miles from Polaris...and he's one of the oldest Polaris dealers in MO. he said they sell way more Polaris than Suzuki, but they didn't last as long.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to see you leave the Touring line. But understand your reasoning. Now back to a 1up...because going with 2 riders on a Grizz would be scary!!...IMHO.

Good luck with the Grizz.

biz
:)
biz,

I never used the 2up. if my wife rides along we take my ranger with a kid. we live on a farm and the plastic racks just don't cut it. the Polaris plastic racks age quick if they get used much. they look nice while they're new, but not for long. if I were buying a 2up...i'd buy a Polaris, because they have the best ride.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Do you know what they did to the valves on the 550's? Since mine have been replaced 3 times it seems more and more valve jobs are showing up.

On a side note is anybody having problems with the forum. The window to post a new topic and the window to quote somebody's message does not show up for me.

Ronnie

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ronnie,

not sure what they did on the valves, I know the machines sat for a long time because the parts were on back order. the machines were broke down about as much s they stayed running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had my grizzly for 5 years now without ever being to a dealer. I modded it for more power but it still holds together quite fine. Reliability and high mileage are definitely a stong point. 4wd diff lock is tough but its not bad at all with eps. I don't have that but I'll be adding a superatv kit eventually if I don't talj myself into an 850xp

08' Grizz HO 734cc/28" zillas
(SweetGrizz, SweetOutty, Cboys72)
Hopefully some day a 1000 outty with dps Or 850xp!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! The 14 grizzlys r nice. The wider stance really helps them. No more dependable machine out there either imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with the change "KINDA" I tried change but the old lady blacked/shut both of my eyes... :D

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Do you know what they did to the valves on the 550's? Since mine have been replaced 3 times it seems more and more valve jobs are showing up.

On a side note is anybody having problems with the forum. The window to post a new topic and the window to quote somebody's message does not show up for me.

Ronnie
Have you heard of any '12 or later 550's? It seems most have been earlier model years.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
saw a profile this past weekend on dirt trax tv featuring the new grizz.. Looks like they made some meaningful changes that increase the power and stability that plagued the grizzly in the past.. Nice ride.. Enjoy..

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It seems like it is below the 12's is what I have been seeing Treacherous. It seems like most are 09 and 10's. A guy south of where I live had an 11 go down with intake valves just like mine. It seems if parts are on backorder something is going on with the valve train on some 550's. Where I work if stuff is on backorder something is breaking way to much and we find out why. POPO don't care if they are having valve problems on the 550.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
There is nothing wrong with change. Sometimes it is good to get away from said item and try something else. I was a Ford man for years until I bought my Dodge Mega Cab and will not go back to Ford for a while. I am almost 100% sure I will not be going back to Polaris either unless it is the basic model of something. No XP for me becuase I hate working on it. It has been something from the day I got it. I am ready for something I can ride and clean up then put it to bed and not worry what is going to break next. I don't have that with my XP. I found a mint condition white Honda Rincon on Craigslist the other day and I am thinking of calling the guy. For my type of riding it would do just fine since I don't heal as fast as I once did.

Ronnie
Ronnie...just a heads up...the tranny on the Rincon sucks in the mountains, the engine braking is nonexistent and you are always on the brakes. The Rancher is much better suited for the mountains as the engine braking is superb but the auto shifter is never in the right gear for the terrain. Rincon would do well for a flatlander. I was the biggest Honda freak until I drove a polaris...such a superior machine performance wise and so far I haven't had any mech issues...knock on wood...good luck which ever way you turn...it isn't what you ride....it's if you ride....

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would keep my value line 500X2 Kevin and get rid of the 550 if I did it. I would take the 500 to the mountains and just ride the Rincon in Arkansas(small mountains) and around the house here. The Rincon would do fine where I would take it. I am just so sick of fixing my XP everytime I ride and I am so anal about maintenance but it has done no good on my XP. I do put alot of miles on my stuff but damn the XP.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
According to their website the 13's and 14's are the same width. How did they get a wider stance?

Never mind. Just read up on it. It does look like the new models tires are even with the fenders rather than tucked way underneath them. Gonna get some wheel spacers for my sons 125 grizz.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! Our friend has a 08 700 with over 7K miles on it and it still has its original belt! He never once had a problem with it.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts