Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant make up my mind. Looking at zilla's, mudlites xtr's, swamp lites so far. Need a trail tire and a mud tire. Mostly trail ride but I tend to stop at every mudhole I see and "try it". I want a 27" tire for the extra height and ground clearance but only one size bigger over the stock 26" maxxis tires....whatever model they are on the base line xp models(steel wheels). Also only being one size taller I won't need a clutch kit or rob any power. Even though i hear these 850's can handle a 28" tire with stock clutch easy.....but i wont be doing that. Heck the zillas are so light it will prob feel quicker lol over stock.

I want a tire that runs good on trails and also capable of handling the mud too. Wears good. Durable. And isn't a heavy brick so I can turn them like stock or easier.

I will be changing my wheels from the stock steelies to the polaris vader wheels too.

What do you guys think? Only thing on the zilla's is I hear the 27" size might as well be as tall as my stickers due to running small?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Gbc Grim Reapers

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got 27" Xtrs they run pretty true to size bear like no other very tough I've had one set my buddies have ran them some there very good tires IMO they do pretty good in mud and hard pack the down side is they are a little heavy I've got them on my '13 850 with no clutch kit. The zillas will be what I put back on if I don't get Xtrs or the pitbull rockers. Ill stand by the xtrs they have definitely proven them selves to me

·
Registered
319 Posts
outlaw radials. ride good on the trails and will rip in the mud. none of the ones you listed will last near as long or go as hard in the mud.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've decided on the 27" GBC Spartacus for my 850 Touring, now I just have to save up the $$$. I haven't been able to find a bad review about them online, and GBC is pretty well-known around here for making a great radial tire that lasts a long time.

The GBC Grim Reaper also gets great reviews, though they are geared more towards trail and rocks, whereas the Spartacus is geared more towards trail and mud. Though both will perform well in just about any terrain, the Grim Reapers have the edge in rocks, and the Spartacus has the edge in mud.

Here's a pic of the GBC Spartacus

GBC Grim Reaper

·
Registered
190 Posts
The outlaw radial would be a good choice also, although I don't think u will find a tire that will last any longer than the Xtr some will last as good and maybe better idk but mine have around 5000 miles on them alot of those miles are on gravel roads and paved roads I'd say half or more of the miles on my tires are on roads they still have 1/2 inch or more tread

·
Registered
190 Posts
They will not mud as good as the radial outlaw... The radial outlaw is definitely the best radial mud tire there is on the market

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ its also twice the price of all the trail/mud tires on the market.

The outlaw radial would be a huge hit, if they weren't so overpriced!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep I agree on tht 100% there are alot of other good choices for a better price.

·
Registered
190 Posts
X93pgtx, how do u like ur Qsc clutch kit with the 27"s? Most ppl I see with clutch work are runnin bigger tires but I've been wantin one and I run 27s just didn't know if I would see any real gains I've also got a 2013 850. Can u tell a big difference in yours?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
It made a massive difference!

After installing the qsc, I think anyone running aftermarket tires, without a clutch kit, is REALLY losing out. Even in low range you could feel the belt slip longer before the wheels would spin. And even then, they would spin slow. After the clutch kit I barely have to give it any gas and all 4 tires throw the mud.

Anyone who says you don;t "need" a clutch kit to turn " _________ " tires, is just stupid. If you spend all that money on tires, spend $200 extra to make sure you are getting everything you can out of them!

Oh and after install, the "sluggish" stock clutching is a freak now. You can easily pull the front wheels in high, especially with the 2000 rpm engagement.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It made a massive difference!

After installing the qsc, I think anyone running aftermarket tires, without a clutch kit, is REALLY losing out. Even in low range you could feel the belt slip longer before the wheels would spin. And even then, they would spin slow. After the clutch kit I barely have to give it any gas and all 4 tires throw the mud.

Anyone who says you don;t "need" a clutch kit to turn " _________ " tires, is just stupid. If you spend all that money on tires, spend $200 extra to make sure you are getting everything you can out of them!

Oh and after install, the "sluggish" stock clutching is a freak now. You can easily pull the front wheels in high, especially with the 2000 rpm engagement.

I concur completely.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is the clutch engagement rough with the 2000 rpm engagement or is it smooth?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its fairly smooth. But it does take some getting used to revving it so high to take off. If i did it again i would go with the 1800 rpm shim.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can u get both shims with the kit so u can try both?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I read here that 28" zillas are only 26.5" in diameter.

Spartacus are a great tire. They handle well at higher speeds and are tough as hell. But they are no match for a true mud tire.

You really have to decide where you want to sacrifice: at speed in the mud, or in your wallet. If you spend more time on the trail than in the mud, I wouldn't get a true mud tire as they don't handle well at high speeds.

And no doubt, radial outlaws are the smoothest true mud tire.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Can u get both shims with the kit so u can try both?
They come with both shims. You can use one or the other or both for really high engagement. I use the thin one which is the 1800 rpm or so engagement

·
Registered
667 Posts
you say you want durable and wears good,of the 3 tires you list the xtr does both fairly well,i have them on my 09 850xp,i did have a sharp stick put a 1/4" hole in the R/R tho. a wears good and durable tire is that way because it has a lot of rubber in it and then they are heavy,lite weight tires are not tuff and many wear fast,lite weight means less rubber and a weak tire. had them,been there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had all the tires you mentioned in your first post and the zillas are a great tire. They will do everything you want them to do. They are my favorite all terrain that I've ever had. Way way way better than the xtr's. I hated those tires. And if you ride in the snow they can't be beat. Can't recommend them enough. And no power loss at all. I run the 27's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Swampgriz, how do they wear? I ride on the pavement quite a bit I've always wondered how they would last

1 - 20 of 35 Posts