Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 sportsman 700 came in yesterday. Owner complaining that it eats a belt every couple weeks. And throws it off all the time. This is what I found when I opened things up. Some more parts for the wall of sacrifice to the speed gods.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Ummmm, why would anyone even put a belt on that thing? I have seen a few rough clutches in my time but have never seen one like that. That must have been running white hot at times, looks like the metal is actually melted. Or was he using a chain instead of a belt???:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Just for some piece of mind and good knowledge can you please share your input on what caused this type of damage. To me it looks as if a major bearing went out. Thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was amazed that he drove it off the trailer, and I test rode it, and pulled it into the shop. IT ran pretty good. I knew it wasn't right, but didn't feel that bad.

Somewhere along the way a lot of stuff went wrong. I would guess that a roller broke causing the helix to run crooked and start earing up the bushing. Then another one went and then all 3 rollers at some point. Then the helix just wobbled around in there wearing away little by little. When I opened the belt cover the belt was down about 3/4" into the secondary on top and sticking out the bottom with about a 1/2" gap between the inside of the belt and the clutch. 20 years of working on stuff like this and I've never seen one like this.

From the outside without looking behind it you would have never seen the damage. I put it up more as a point to people to inspect their clutches on a regular basis. Doesn't take long with a worn out bushing or buttons or roller to do a lot of damage. His primary isn't in much better shape, but I can save that. Going to cost him about $1,100 to put it back together. Rebuilding primary, used secondary, and all new weights, springs, and helix and belt.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
something had to happen like you said. 3200 miles is not that many, even if there was a lack of maintanance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts