Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to put a clutch kit on my sportsman 500 to make it more fun on the trails. looking at epi and qsc. quad is stock, plan to up grade to 26 inch tires when stock wear out. I live in ohio so not sure elevation. I do use it to plow a few times a year.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just go ahead and call Adam at Quadshop Customs. He will set you up with exactly what you need for your riding style, rather than just pulling a generic kit off the shelf.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
While I have no doubt that QSC would make a fine kit for your machine it should be noted that the EPI sport utility kit will also work for your application. It's what I have in mine and provides what you stated you are looking for. If you were looking for a mud machine this would be a different story.

My only word of caution is to be wary of engagement with the primary spring they send in the kit. The red one that typically comes in the kit raises engagement to about 2200 RPM which felt terrible. I went down to a gold. The engagement is about 1800 RPM and it performs well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Live in Ohio and have 500. I have 26" Bighorns and put on the EPI sport utility kit. Very happy with it. Right about the engagement, but I keep the spring they sent and its not to big a deal to me. Just personal preference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am looking at clutch kits too and i was just talking to someone who had the epi kit and it ended up melting his primary clutch because it gets too hot, lost cause is right,... call adam at qsc, seems to be one of the only ones without problems

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I am looking at clutch kits too and i was just talking to someone who had the epi kit and it ended up melting his primary clutch because it gets too hot, lost cause is right,... call adam at qsc, seems to be one of the only ones without problems
Wow that's crazy.

My first question would be about how he was using his machine. Was he mudding with heavy mud tires? These seem to be the people who have had issues with the EPI kits. I have not seen anyone or read of anyone who melted a solid steel clutch just riding the trails.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have run both EPI and QSC. I am not saying that EPI won't fit your need, just that QSC will do it better. Again, EPI is a great manufacturer, but they will send you a generic, off the shelf kit that will fit a range of tire sizes and riding styles. If you call Adam, he will send you a setup that will work for your exact setup. bgirard420 even states that he currently runs an EPI kit, but had to modify it to his liking.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is not going to be a mud machine. There will be some mud on the trails, but I'm not going mud bogging. So if I ordered the epi kit, I would also have to order the gold spring to make it smoother? I need it to be smooth for plowing. I sent qsc an email, but have not heard back.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have run both EPI and QSC. I am not saying that EPI won't fit your need, just that QSC will do it better. Again, EPI is a great manufacturer, but they will send you a generic, off the shelf kit that will fit a range of tire sizes and riding styles. If you call Adam, he will send you a setup that will work for your exact setup. bgirard420 even states that he currently runs an EPI kit, but had to modify it to his liking.

Couldnt say it any better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts