Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to riding but I am so OCD with Anxiety disorder that I swear that I am prepared for most anything. My family laughs at me for all that just has to go on rides with us,,, but they werent laughing a few weeks ago. My daughter (age 24) was riding my Honda 500 and flipped it over on her, breaking her leg. We were 13 miles past the middle of no where! I was resting up at the truck when this happened, my son (age 29) said he remembered that I had my homemade first aid kit in the pack. So he went digging in it, came up with the ace bandage and remembered that when I put this kit together he laughed at me, telling me that I had everything in there to make a splint except for a stick,,, I told him we are always in the woods where there is plenty of sticks! LOL!! Guess what,,, he found 2 sticks and wrapped her broken leg. The hospital said who ever thought to do that did the right thing, that normally when they see a wreck on a 4 wheeler that no one has done first aid.
Here is what all I just have to have with us every time we go:

My homemade First Aid Kit (a plastic tall rectangle container with snap lock lid)
Very pointed twizzers - for splinters
Nail clippers
Travel bottle of Rubbing Alcohol
Travel bottle of Peroxide
Gloves
Gauze
Ace bandage - Reminds me that I need to replace mine
Water proof bandaids - assorted sizes
Poison Ivy wash
Germ clean wet wipes
Hand sanitizer
TAO - very small tube
Paper towels - just a few sheets so to dry the wound

Toilet paper
Camera
Electrical Air pump
Fix-a-flat
Tool bag
Flash light
Hand Towels - for cleaning off mud - LOL
Bug Spray
Sunscreen
Tow strap
Snacks
Water Water Water

So, what do you take?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My sportsman carries a gigantic tow/ratchet strap, a bunch of bungies, rope, hitch receiver(s), custom tool kit, beach towel, hand saw, magnesium/flint, tire plugs, electric air compressor (with built in flash light), water, and lots of maps.

Looking at getting jumper cables, and should probably invest in a first aid kit.

Sadly the KFX has zero storage space. So if i'm out riding that alone (as I commonly am), I am gonna be screwed. At least I can push that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, I have yet to figure out why my husband just has to have so many bungies on the front rack! But he doesnt say anything about all the stuff I carry so I dont say anything about all those bungies. LOL!!!
I am not sure as to what all is in the tool kit but I know there is tire plugging stuff.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Toilet paper, beer, and cell phone.. The neccessities..j/K I have a first aid kit and basic tool kit with tire plugs and small compressor

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh yeah, I have yet to figure out why my husband just has to have so many bungies on the front rack! But he doesnt say anything about all the stuff I carry so I dont say anything about all those bungies. LOL!!!
I am not sure as to what all is in the tool kit but I know there is tire plugging stuff.
I figured I really only needed 4 bungies, but walmart had a kit with 15 in it for like $2 more than just the 4, so I figured just to go for that. That is the original reason I brought the beach towel too- it is to dampen the sound of all the bungie hooks bouncing inside of the front storage compartment every time I hit a bump at speed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dont forget that handgun, lol.
I carry a tent, folding camp shovel, rope, tarp, knife, bug wipes, 3 snatchblocks, 3- 15' tow straps, 100 yds of SS cable, small clevisis, tent stakes, TP, first aid kit, air pump, tire repair kit, tool kit, lighter, all permanently stored.
In our duffle bag; coats, gloves, 2 picnic blankets, binoculars, camera, flashlight, batteries, spare magazine (.45), cell phone, map. Food/water in a seperate soft sided cooler. After my recent chafed wire episode on the T-BAP harness, Im considering a couple feet of wire, connectors, and crimpers. since this will likely happen again. 8-(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Basic first aid kit
Basic overnight emergency kit
Basic tool kit
Basic spare parts kit
Basic tire repair kit
Winch straps, pulley & hooks
lots of water & snacks
extra fuel (2 gal)
firearm & ammo
cell phone

(I ride mostly alone, in wild remote forests, 30-50 miles from the trailhead)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts