Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider is high miles for a polaris or any atv?

My bear hunting guide in Quebec has 15,000 miles on his machine that he bought in 2006. It runs strong.

I don't know. When I look at machines on ebay or craigs list I think they have high miles at 3000. Correct me...maybe I'm under estimating things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think the biggest thing is that you need to run them....change the oil and run them on a regular basis.

The quads do not like to sit in a garage. Its like anything else....if we lay on the couch all day we're stiff and don't like to get up...its a rough start for us, and for the quads.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It all depends on the previous owner for any brand of atv. A friend of mine bought a 2002 500ho with 200 hours and 1500 miles on it. Well after he brought the bike to my shop for regular maintenance we discovered that it had NO shock bushings left at all. Basically the shocks had a 1inch hole with a 3/8s inch bolt holding it on. You never can tell unless you do a major inspection on something before you buy it (if the owner will allow you to do it). As far as miles on the engine I would say that in a buyers eye's I would stay below 3,000 at the most. You never can tell if the oil was changed regularly unless he has receipts from the dealer. Even then some people these days will go the extra mile to get receipts from other people just to make an extra buck. Buying used is hard to do when dealing with an atv or 4wd truck or high performance car. It is what it is

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
From a shop view on Polaris, at somewhere around 3-5000 miles you are looking at some major clutch maintenance or even replacement. Depends on the previous care of the owner on the rest. Regular oil changes and the engines go 10K easy. Otherwise, suspension bushings, bearings, brakes, etc. is all subject to the use of the machine and can vary greatly. If you buy ne with 4K miles I would be prepared to put $1,000-1,200 into it very quickly. But then not need much for another 4k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate your time in posting this information. It has been very helpful for me.

I totally agree. I am skeptical about buying a used quad with high miles. Honestly, when I watch You Tube and see the hell we put quads through in the mud I'd rather not buy used if it was put hard through the ringer. I'm not saying these quads are not solid after a good power wash and deep run in the mud... However, if I ever bought a used quad I would look for one that is pampered.

My Quad has been pampered...but when I sell it I will have it cleaned meticulously to make sure the buyer is very happy. And I will point out any flaws that I know. Thats just me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Miles wear out components and hours wear out motors. Iv seen many quads with 1200 miles and 500hrs in near mint condition being used for plowing. Iv also seen many with 250hrs and 4000 miles that are completely worn from high speed trail riding. Pick your poison

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would rather have high miles than high hours. Motors in general do not like to idle. And short riding for plowing is much harder on a machine than 20mph trail riding.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Check air box for evidence of submersion

I've bought a couple sportys and the first thing (after eyeballing the overall appearance) is to check out the air cleaner/box. You'd be surprised how many idiots don't clean out the evidence it has been submerged, i've found mud caked 3/8" thick around the inside on 3 while shopping, even though I've asked the owner point blank, 'did it get submerged?'. Of course they all so no. I'm not saying that is all bad (submersion) but I don't like to do it to my quads so i went looking for among other variables quads that at least appeared not to be. Good luck, take your time and you'll find good stuff out there on craigslist or ebay (may just have to go further to get it-look for dummies that end auctions at 2am and set your alarm!). :cowboy:

·
Registered
679 Posts
If I was in the market for a used ATV anything over 2000 miles I'd pass on. Around me there does not seem to be much difference in price from a high mileage ATV versus one with only a few hundred miles on it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Having just bought my 850 and having shopped for it for several months, it seemed the high mile wheelers just sat and sat. I'd see 4000 mile 2009 550's and 850s for dirt cheap that were in that like new looking category that just never sold. There seems to be a new dealer locally that popped up out of nowhere that is selling high mile 2 to 4 year old 850's and 550's for really cheap...miles up to about 5500 or so. Will be curious to see if they sell or not.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I too would rather have low hours and higher miles vs. the opposite...... but would even still rather have low hours and miles. To me it really depends on how the machine looks and how it's been maintained. I my eyes, a test ride will usually tell the story or either.... walk, run or buy the machine! I also like to look at the shop/garage and residence of the owner (if private party) and see how well maintained the grounds and buildings are. If all looks good you know the owner "cares" for his things and likely has maintained them propperly and regularly!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
for me, it's not so much the mileage so much as it is the ratio between the mileage and the hours. for example a machine with 1500 miles but only 80 hours, that bike was used for cruising trails and road where an average speed of 18+ mph is possible. But a machine with 1500 miles and 250 hours is going to have an average speed of just 6 mph so it was used for work. Plowing, hauling, etc. High miles and low hours isn't as bad as high mileage and high hours. My machine was a hunting rig before I bought it used. It averaged 8 mph. which for it's purposes is about right. Fast enough to make it worth using and slow enough that you aren't going to miss much if you're looking for game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully someone will find this on this old of a post. I have a 2000 polaris sportsman 500 6x6. We bought it used and currently has 4064 miles and 2054 hours. The guy we bought it from managed 2000 acres of farm land. So it was work however mostly flat with rolling hills. So he was able to run it hard. Had i not been mechanically inclined and a good price i would not have bought it. However, is this something that i should think about having a back up to? Keep in mind the first 6 months of owning it we put about 250 into it and payed 1500 for it. In ohio. It is also used on 111 acers of working farm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will find out what people, prospective buyers, think is high milage is when you try to sell the unit. Every bike that I have put up for sale had over 5000 miles and I never put the milage in the add. When they find the milage they do an about-face and leave. All the units looked like they were near new with little wear. They would sooner buy a beater with 500 miles. To me, high mileage is not the engine that was taken care of but the running gear that has reached its end of life.

What is high mileage? I just got back from a 2 WEEK ride at Quartzsite AZ. That added 622 miles. The bike is 17 months old and now has 2469 miles. That one outing is probably more miles that most owners will put on there bike the whole time they own the ATV.

·
Registered
'16 Sportsman 1000XP Hunter Edition, '18 Sportsman 850SP EPS, '18 Sportsman 570
5 Posts
Bought my wife a new old stock '18 850SP in Sept of last year. She got on it and never got off. After owning it for only 5 months, she has amost 2000km of trail riding on it already. Pushing My '16 1000XP Hunter to over 4000km. At this rate by this time next year, she'll probably have over 5000km! So much for keeping it new for years to come!

Attachments

·
9,843 Posts
It all depends on maintenance, repairs and treatment. I won't give more than a few hundred dollars for a nearly new machine with 1000 miles if its spent the whole time in mud and water with little or no maintenance or repairs!
Sitting idle and short trips are just as hard or harder on any machine as actually running. I refurbish old machines for resale and the biggest red flag for me when checking out a potential purchase is the guy that says... "I bought it brand new and never had to do anything to it!" The seller just lowered my offer drastically, if I even make one, because I then know immediately that EVERYTHING on the machine will have to be gone through and probably repaired lol.
I've got a 2006 800 with a little over 20,000 very hard miles on it I'll put up against most any low miles machines because I know what all has been done to it and how its is maintained.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2017 Sportsman 450 bought it new with 0 miles/hours in October 2016, I basically ride during the fall and winter months deer hunting. I've changed the oil twice once at 25 hrs. then again at 100 hrs. I lube it every 6 months checked the drive fluids at 25 hrs. and changed at 100hrs. I currently have 147.8 hrs and 378 miles I plan on doing a total fluid change between this August and October. I start it up and ride in my back yard about once a month for at least 30 minutes during the spring and summer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts