Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, here in Minnesota it was below zero on Saturday. I went to start the 2016 sportsman 570 and the initial "hum" wouldn't kick in for the fuel injection.

The battery was dead and it was giving me the "lo 10.6" message. I tried to jump start it from some fairly powerful jumper kit, and even in BOOST mode the wheeler wouldn't kick on.

I parked it in a heated garage and placed a tender on it and it eventually kicked on. I know I should have had it on the tender in the first place, but I didn't.

I told my buddy about this and he said you can't jump these OEM batteries with any powerful jump starter, or it will fry my battery.

Is it true that a powerful jump starter will fry my battery? If so....

WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE TO JUNP START YOUR BATTERY? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I carry a (less than 4 year old) jump starter battery pack from Walmart. I have used it 3 or 4 times in over 6 years. Very good battery insurance. I do not use a tender, never have. My ATV gets run at least once/week so I don't believe a tender is necessary. If the battery is good, it will perform. Also, I've always replaced the stock battery with an odyssey battery that is quite a bit more capacity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I just ordered a Motobatt AGM battery. Should be better than the factory battery. Any idea what AMP you jump kit is?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I guess I haven't had to jump mine.... the one time the 400 was dead, I just replaced the battery! Mainly because the battery in it was dated 4-5 years old... so I knew it was done for!! I always keep my machines on the tenders when not in use.... and they sit in a heated garage (aka my shop).

As far as batteries go, I've had good luck with either Interstate or RoadRunner (from Fleet Farm). The RoadRunner I have in the 400 is a AGM and only set me back about $75.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I carry a (less than 4 year old) jump starter battery pack from Walmart. I have used it 3 or 4 times in over 6 years. Very good battery insurance. I do not use a tender, never have. My ATV gets run at least once/week so I don't believe a tender is necessary. If the battery is good, it will perform. Also, I've always replaced the stock battery with an odyssey battery that is quite a bit more capacity.

Any idea what Odyssey battery would work for my 2016 sportsman 570? Having a hard time figuring that out.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
i don't know how you can fry a battery with a jump starter.
if both have the same voltage, only the amperage your ATV need will come from your power source like your jump starter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you throw to many amps at a small battery and it will fry .....Never use a car booster charger on a atv battery.

I was going to buy the moto batt but found this one .... Delivered to my door for $40 ... So I thought I would try it...

I plowed my long driveway with all the lights on high and the rear led on and right after left the quad sit outside over night at -11 .... It fired right up in the am !!!

This batt has 210 cca and you can tell its got more power than the factory batt. how long will it last? No idea ... The posts are backwards but it fits no problem in the quad backwards ... still looks factory but now more power and a sealed batt..... $40 why not...p.s. took two days to get delivered (fast)

Motobatt MBTX14AU replacement Motorcycle Battery (12V 14Ah)

BE AWARE THIS IS NOT THE MOTO BATT ITS THE ONE IN THE PICTURE >>>>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet! I ordered 1 that has 190 CCA but the Ah rating is 16.5. Not sure how that one will stack up. But I'll give it a go.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts

Any idea what Odyssey battery would work for my 2016 sportsman 570? Having a hard time figuring that out.

Have to go by size (measurements).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used a Micro start power pack, super small, size of a wallet. worked great. I have replaced batteries with Motobatt AGM, so far so good.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
you throw to many amps at a small battery and it will fry .....Never use a car booster charger on a atv battery.

No offence,
but this is just a wrong information,you can have a booster with 5000 Ah and you won't do any harm to your ATV Battery,how long both have 12 Volt.
If you have a 5000 Gallon Water Tank and you suck the Water out with a Garden Hose you won't hurt your Garden and this is the same Principle with Electricity.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Believe what you will, but those boost mode chargers can be very hard on electronics as they tend to ramp up the voltage pretty high.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Quote:Cariboo:If you have a 5000 Gallon Water Tank and you suck the Water out with a Garden Hose you won't hurt your Garden and this is the same Principle with Electricity.
Well lets do it this way since you aren't sucking anything out of the atv battery....your adding to it, so you have a 5000 gallon water tank and you add 6000 gallons to the tank under pressure....I hate to tell you this but somethings going to give. High powered chargers can easily ruin a small battery and that is the Principle of Electricity. You're statement was ass backwards

·
Registered
391 Posts
Using a car booster charger on any size battery will shorten the life of it. Slow charge is always best to maintain the life of a battery.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Quote:Cariboo:If you have a 5000 Gallon Water Tank and you suck the Water out with a Garden Hose you won't hurt your Garden and this is the same Principle with Electricity.
Well lets do it this way since you aren't sucking anything out of the atv battery....your adding to it, so you have a 5000 gallon water tank and you add 6000 gallons to the tank under pressure....I hate to tell you this but somethings going to give. High powered chargers can easily ruin a small battery and that is the Principle of Electricity. You're statement was ass backwards

/facepalm

1 - 20 of 37 Posts