Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 09 500 ho. I realized I would have problems with the radiator as soon as I got home. Well I did.
The first two minutes driving slowly through corn stalks the flimsy radiator cover got shoved up leaving the bottom half of the radiator exposed. Any more stalks would have made a gaping hole in a very expensive radiator.
I decided to make a quick shield with some material laying around. I used some corrugated and perforated galvanized steel. I used the factory bolts on the "bumper" and skid plate.

So far I haven't had any trouble with it getting hot but it has been 40 at the warmest. I was wondering what people think about running my radiator shield in the summer. Our summer can get over 100. Do you think the holes in the steel will let through enough air or will I have to take it off or fabricate a summer shield?
DSCN3282.jpg

DSCN3283.jpg

DSCN3286.jpg

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
its hard to say, although i think even if it is 40 if it wasnt getting enough air flow it would still overheat. i would just leave it be, and pay special attention to when it starts to warm up and see if it causes you any problems....but somebody else might of already had this experience and might know better then me

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I got a 05 500 that likes to heat up in the summer when we run thru tall weeds on the logging roads. Its the fine seeds and such that plug up mine radiator. It heats up when were going under 10 miles an hour. if we go faster its fine, then we go clean it off and giver again. Its a catch 22 if you leave it off your gonna get beat up by corn stalks If you leave it on it might heat up. I have a suggestion though if you could find something like small hole expanded steel and put that on for protection. then it would have air going thru it . and if you needed a finer screen for keeping out finer stuff use a finer screen behind it that you can easily take off in the field and clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments/ suggestions! I wont be driving through stalks in the summer because there will be crops growing. I want to keep it on however just because of what chopper89 says about fine seeds. I will be doing a lot of pasture driving. I left the factory screen on behind the shield I built but I think that shield will help keep the screen clean. It does not look pretty but nothing will even put a dent in it. It is some heavy duty stuff.

I think a large weed or stick would even do some damage to the radiator without something better than the factory "grill". I am surprised that there isn't a lot of people that had problems with that.

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
there were enough problems with it that polaris decided to change the radiator set up on the XPs for that exact reason. i had the chance to talk with some of the people involved in the design of the XP before the 6months before the 09's were released to the public and the exact problem you are having is the reason the XP radiator is 5" higher, 20% larger, and tilted back to reduce seeds getting stuck in the fins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It don't matter how much higher or how far back they tilt, corn stalks will find it. They are some bad sob's.
All they had to do is make a decent grill for it.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
this is true too. i dont have any experience with riding in corn stalks. kinda surprising they dont offer a OEM grill to help with this stuff

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the grill, they do make something like that; I've seen them on eBay. Your machine runs leaner in cool temps. due to the air being more dense; you might be fine in the summer.

Yep, cornstalks are a definite problem. Front output seal was leaking on my 03 Rincon and after taking back to dealer, they found a big old piece of corn stalk wedged inbetween the driveshaft and seal; they couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comment Eric. It didn't turn out too bad for a thirty minute fab job. Like I said it is not pretty but it more than gets the job done. When I have more time I will make a more appealing grill guard attached to a heavy brush guard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts