Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got another question. If I've got a bad voltage regulator.. which I do. Would that make the 4x4 not engage? Seeing as the 4 demand requires voltage to the magnetic rings to function. Am I missing something else? Is there a way to tell if the magnetic coils are bad?..what are odds that both woul be. I've got a voltage regulator on order.not sure if I should be ordering other parts as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well, as you stated the gearbox needs electric to actuate the AWD so that would be my guess. Did it work fine before your VR went bad?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Kevin, as far as I kno everything worked..kinda noticed each at different times. Of course the awd 1st, but hadn't had to use the lights for a while after. But when I did, the went dead within an hour. Just trying to put 2 n 2 together. Tested the stator..Getting 120.7 ohms..not really sure how to test vr ,so I was just gonna replace it. Hope the awd starts working agin. Don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awd

Hey Dogg, Rob here AKA warmfuzy, There are two wires that come off the front Hillard Clutches on each side that run to the circuit board, they run up the inside of the front struts.
I'm not sure on your model what the ohm's reading should be, however if you can get that number you should be able to pull the wires off at the board and use a multimeter to ohm out the magnetic coil on either side to make sure that they are ok,
Over the years I have seen a couple different things from ppl not servicing the hubs (running dry) to one of the wires getting broken by a stick while riding, to on the older models being as simple as the AWD light being burned out!
Could be power supply too, way to check that is by testing for power on the board where you check the wires to the Hilliard Clutches, with the wires off the board you should get the 12 volt reading when you engage the AWD button with the key on, I think that there is also a switch in the shifter that I have seen get broken from the shifter being forced!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks warmfuzy. I have checked the magnetic coils. Book says they should read 128 ohms..and that's exactly what they are reading. Have also checked all wires leading from the coils to the board.. all ok. both little switches on shifter are also good. Checked everything with battery disconnected since the VR is bad. Still waiting on the new one to arrive then I can check the board accurately. Everything seems in order so far..that's why I was thinking the bad VR maybe had something to do with the coils not actuating correctly. Guess i'll find out when I get the new one in..till that time ..thanks agin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts