Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 Xpedition 425 that is stuck in 3rd. Last night I discovered it actually has a 2000 325 engine in it. That makes the decision easier if we want to attempt tearing it down ourselves to see what's going on. Now, if that doesn't work, do any other engines fit in the Xpedition frame? I think I read somewhere that a 500 cylinder will fit on the 425, but does any other engine assembly fit? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My father in law has an expedition 500. That was the biggest motor made at the time. I am not sure that any other motor will fit. Are the 600/700's twins or singles? I bet you could find a ton of 500 motors, even newer ones as they just stopped putting them in ATV's for a good price.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Whichever engine you have, you may be better off fixing what you have. The thing that makes the expedition special, is the one case engine and transmission, remeber this does have a rear slip-yoke driveshaft.
If you're wrench handy, i bet you could find a 500 magnum,they have the same rear output shafts,fairly cheap and use the motor and trans. from it, but then you'd have an automatic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the plan is to try to fix what's in it now, but keep an eye out for a good deal on the bigger engine. I am wrench handy, but not sure I want to switch engine/tranny type at this point. Actually, fiddling with it last night I got it to shift out of 3rd. I have the rear jacked up and after starting it and going through the gears it gets hung up in 3rd after the tranny warms up. I'm going to try replacing with the proper oil and see if that helps any. I asked the previous owner what he put in because it looks like water and he's going to get back to me. I've read where dealers recommend different oil and you end up with hard shifting.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm pretty sure they want synthetic in those as well.
Mobil 1 0w-40 or the like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts