Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what people are using for a GPS on their quads. I would like to do more forestry riding but I don't feel like replaying a scene from Deliverance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Do you use the vvmapping to upload maps? And do they cost extra money?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a Garmin Oregon 450 touchscreen. I use it in a Ram mount which to me is a must on an orv. Like Thor I also have vvmapping. Mine are for the Michigan trails and they are great. I don't believe that you can get the vvmapping for California but I am sure there are others in your area.

Something to keep in mind on a GPS is the amount of internal memory for downloading maps or what I would recommend is getting a GPS that can use Mini SD cards then you don't need hardly any internal memory. I have my vvmapping on the Mini SD card.

I would recommend definitely getting a Garmin as they seem to be the most reliable, accurate, and maps seem to be made for them first. Also get a Ram mount for your atv. I bought all my stuff from GPScity.com for around $250 that was GPS, cradle, and mount.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a Garmin eTrex Hcx with mapping. It came with the TOPO 100 DVD at bass pro for $150 on sale. You can also down load digital trail specific maps and upload your rides to your computer and create your own maps. I also use a ram mount.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I too have a Garman Etrex H...
The only feature I use is the one that lets me get home by following the trail. In about 50 feet I can see which way to go.

I tried to follow maps and the like and I found it was more fun riding then deciding where to ride.

The less my brain has to process the better.

BTW I have never found any trails listed I ride on. Roads are listed but it is kind of hard to get lost on roads.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Garmin Montana 600 on my Outlander.
It is ok. One needs to download all maps prior to going somewhere. This was a disappointment.
If anyone has a GPS that has the 'bird's eye' view already downloaded on it, I would like to know. It is nice to be able to zoom out to see where the nearest road, water feature, etc is.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Still using my ol' Magellan Platinum with Ram mount, which works great still. I've thought about getting a new unit with a larger screen but...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just picked up 2 Garvin nuvi's cheap on Craigslist. Now just need to pick up the right ram mounts. Just like zoomeroo I just want breadcrumb so I can just take off and when I want to go back be able to just follow then breadcrumbs back.
I only ride in the national forest of rocky mountains in Colorado. What software will give me this option?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
check on garmins site....they may have downloads to maps..or if your GPS takes a SD card some places make pre loaded maps on the cards for national parks....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to go look at some in person today. I now have a good idea on things to look for. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It is ok. One needs to download all maps prior to going somewhere. This was a disappointment.
If anyone has a GPS that has the 'bird's eye' view already downloaded on it, I would like to know. It is nice to be able to zoom out to see where the nearest road, water feature, etc is.
I may venture off my own acreage this year for something other than hunting. I've been looking at the 600t for my sled and ATV. How do you like the 600?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm sure this is goofy

but I've used my cellfone's (galaxy) gps with success! I got lost during hunting season just after dark on a new blind i set up in the middle of nowhere (just west of johnson city, tx), it was 100% overcast so i could not find the sun for orientation and all the landscape looks the same. So i pulled the fone out and it pointed me to a nearby dirt road, which i felt was exactly 180 degrees the other way. Whew! I have a garmin but it only shows me where i've been, not so much a dirt road that really wouldn't be on anyone's map. Technology, ya gotta love it! :cowboy:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Eric, most GPS's don't come with maps other than a basemap like City Navigtator or if it has a "T" on the end it comes with a "Topo" map. I and many I know do not recommend getting one with the built in "Topo". Garmin includes a 100k Topo, you can get much better 24k Topo's for free at GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr
Garmin does sell a 24k Routable Topo that I would spend the money on over a GPS with a built in Topo.

Regarding "Birdseye" it is a subscription product that all newer Garmin's can use. It cost $29 for a year. During that year you can download all the areas you want and you will have them forever. I got it for one year and downloaded WV, Taylor Park, and Paiute areas.

GPS's don't have data connectivity to satellites or cell towers so you have to have the maps on them. On my 600 I have WV, CO, UT, NC, and KY free 24k Topo's from GpsFileDepot.
No matter what definitely get a Garmin since there are a lot of free maps for Garmin. GpsFileDepot has some very good free ATV Trail maps for WV, Taylor Park, Paiute and Moab. For full disclosure they are mine. You can also buy similar maps snowmobile trails and a guy sells ($55) a map for the TN riding areas.

Tablets are great for SxS's but a little iffy on an ATV. There are some free and pay Apps that will allow you to download/cache maps for the are you are riding in if you will not have cell service. Phone and Tablet Apps will not accept maps only GPX files of tracks. A map is a vector image of a bunch of tracks and waypoints.

Below is a link to a tutorial I made for an excellent Android App along with my WV ATV Trails to load onto your device. Again these are better in SxS.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dd20pdkpo44d6hk/BCN_WV_ATV_Trails_2013.zip

By the way Nuvi's work well on an ATV. Several people I ride with use them, they will accept maps but not tracks. You can also download the track you rode to your PC to look at it. Below is link to a tutorial that explains how to get Garmins free PC software, load and install maps and how to set up a Nuvi and get tracks off of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c7y8798yqiwl3v9/How_to_Get_Garmin_Software_and_Install_Maps_102813.pdf

I hope I have not confused you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I may venture off my own acreage this year for something other than hunting. I've been looking at the 600t for my sled and ATV. How do you like the 600?
It has a nice big screen, and works quite well actually. I too like the bread crumb feature as it tells me exactly where I need to go to get back to the truck. I believe it is waterproof and also like how it locks to the mount making it more difficult to steal.
I have it on my Can Am right now which is for sale. I just realized via Google how much I paid for that sucker! It might be coming off and going on my Scrammy very shortly. ;)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It has a nice big screen, and works quite well actually. I too like the bread crumb feature as it tells me exactly where I need to go to get back to the truck. I believe it is waterproof and also like how it locks to the mount making it more difficult to steal.
I have it on my Can Am right now which is for sale. I just realized via Google how much I paid for that sucker! It might be coming off and going on my Scrammy very shortly. ;)
I would unless they pay $550 for the optional extra. :D

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Garmin GPS Map 62s for me. Have the entire east cost Topo map loaded from NY to WV as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I got the Garmin Montana 650t. I read a ton of reviews and although the thing is expensive it has a lot to offer. I hope I will be happy with it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Garmin GPS Map 62s for me. Have the entire east cost Topo map loaded from NY to WV as well.

Same here from me.A Nuvi is nice but requires a 12 volt power source for any length of time.. My 62S has a mini sd card and free maps from link below. The 62S is also great for geo caches.Also the screen on the 62S shows better detail. I own a Garmin Nuvi 50 for my truck.On the mini sd card, I have an 8 gig card and about 10-15 states and still have 4 gigs left.Great product, Ken

GPSFileDepot - All U.S. Garmin Compatible Maps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts