Polaris ATV Forum banner

What grade of gas do you run in your ATV?

Votes: 161 46.3%

Votes: 32 9.2%

Votes: 79 22.7%
  • 91+

Votes: 76 21.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grade of gas do you run in your ATV?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know if it's 91, or 93, but more importantly it is ethanol free. In order to get ethanol free here, I have to buy Shell premium.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If your machine was built after 2008 ethanol should not even be an issue.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I run 87 octane with a splash of SeaFoam.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
A better question is: do youi use non-ethanol. We have a local gas pump that sells the non-ethanol 87 and that's what I use. I a pinch, I will use regular with Startron as an additive. But I keep the non-ethanol around for all my small engine equipment.

·
Registered
771 Posts
93 octane with startron additive.
trying to find non ethanol around here is like trying to find leaded fuel. it aint gonna happen.
reason for running higher octane is it runs cooler, smoother and hell its only a few cents more. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I run 87 octane with a splash of SeaFoam.
Yepper, that's what I use no troubles, starting great in the bitterly cold Temps we are having , and it sits outside , covered and plugged in. :yup:

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
93 octane with startron additive.
trying to find non ethanol around here is like trying to find leaded fuel. it aint gonna happen.
reason for running higher octane is it runs cooler, smoother and hell its only a few cents more. ;)
and less power, less mileage/efficiency..any cooling you think is just a thought, there simply isn't enough alcohol in the fuel at 10% to do a thing. Don't tell me your one of those guys that runs AV fuel or race fuel when you goto the track with your stock daily driver...you should know as much as any go fast guy how this octane stuff actually works LOL

stick with lowest you can run, which in every case for Polaris is 87octane, no ethanol, the better. Luckily we still have regular dinosaur oil with no bullshit corn alcohol added.

other than that about this topic:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I ran 93 in all my other toys,dealer told me to run 87 so that's what I did.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the extra octane wont do anything for you....it requires extra compression in your engine to make the octane do anything for you...if you have a high compression engine then extra octane makes more power...atv's aren't high enough compression, save your money use 87....

·
Administrator
898 Posts
I have ran 87 in all mine with no problems.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I run 87 in mine, because the dealer told me specifically not to use 93. Seems it actually causes more problems in these. I use Shell 93 in all my gas powered outdoor implements, but have a new gas can for the new ATV. Kinda nice to use good old regular in the new vehicle AND the new ATV.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use 87 octane because thats what it says in both the service manual and owners manual. That is the minimum, or it says also 89 octane. It also states you can use oxygenated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I run 87 Pure only since it was purchased in 2007.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
87 and an occasional splash of sea foam

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
What octane should the 1000's be running? I've been keeping it simple with just 87 octane since we all share gas cans. What is this Seafoam that everyone is talking about??

1 - 20 of 153 Posts