Polaris ATV Forum banner

What grade of gas do you run in your ATV?

Votes: 161 46.3%

Votes: 32 9.2%

Votes: 79 22.7%
  • 91+

Votes: 76 21.8%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 153 Posts

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
What octane should the 1000's be running? I've been keeping it simple with just 87 octane since we all share gas cans. What is this Seafoam that everyone is talking about??
Unicorn pee in a tin can thats shaken until its frothy
seafoam is acetone with more additives. Found in any auto store in the fuel injector cleaner area...many many uses.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Seafoam is the $hit

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
87 in my quad, I really enjoy filling it in the summer vs my sled in the winter 12gal of 91.
As a 4 stroke its happy with 87.
Octane isn't power, its how slow the fuel burns to prevent detonation.
So unless you have increased compression, timing or both, like mentioned before run the lowest octane recommended with no ethanol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wish I could get ethanol free in a lower octane. I hate payin the extra $$ for premium, just to get it :aargh4:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I wish I could get ethanol free in a lower octane. I hate payin the extra $$ for premium, just to get it :aargh4:
Just run regular and add marine stabil (CDN tire) , startron (home hardware) or seafoam and you won't have any worries.

Fuel systems have been ethanol friendly for a long time now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sooo.... Seafoam does what? More power, cleaner? Am I missing something here?
1.Fuel stabilizer for up to 2 years
2.Fuel cleaner
3.Ethanol absorbs moisture, Sea Foam dries it
4. Add to oil, run 30 minutes and then change oil/motor/gearcase . It will remove all residue built up and oil will drain much dirtier than without.

This is what the company says anyway!

·
Registered
630 Posts
read in the manual Oxygenated fuel required 89, oxygenated fuels in jersey were 5% ethanol we are now running 10% ethanol which leads me to 91 with CRC phase 4 stabilizer..

I run c-12 in the blaster and 400ex and i may start running it in the sportsman.. i buy it by the drum for the race boats so i always have it on hand..

·
Registered
89 Posts
102 octane.

·
Super Moderator
7,021 Posts
the extra octane wont do anything for you....it requires extra compression in your engine to make the octane do anything for you...if you have a high compression engine then extra octane makes more power...atv's aren't high enough compression, save your money use 87....
Curious, what do you consider high compression? Around here, 11:1 is pretty high.
And no, running 91 octane gas will not hurt your engine at all.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ i agree 100% as ive said before, I wouldnt run 87 in a 11:1 SBC.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
^ i agree 100% as ive said before, I wouldnt run 87 in a 11:1 SBC.
LMAO, see that firebird in my sig. built on a 13.5:1 ratio, after everything was said and done with head gasket thickness, chamber size, depth piston was in the hole it came out to 11.8:1.

Ran 92 octane all day long, even with 150 shot of nitrous when I was playing....comes down to dynamic compression that includes cam timing/valve timing events and pressure bleed off. So take the face value 11.0:1 and stick that up your who who, cuz that don't mean dick in the real world.

these are built to run on low octane and get no benefit what so ever other than lightening ones wallet by running higher octane fuel, try to justify it anyway ya like, but your not doing anything "better" at all LOL.

·
Registered
771 Posts
ill sorta agree with IHI, BUT
keep in mind RON, (resistance against knock) that is how the rate gas octane. there are plenty of videos and information on low octane vs high octane. with that said our engines use a spark plug to ignite the air/fuel mixture. its not like we are running diesels where it is a compression ignition engine.
id rather spend the $2 bucks more knowing that my engine is not even going to have a chance to knock or even ping when im pulling out all those other quads and under heavy loads. lmao!
87 octane will more or less explode when the spark plug fires. 91+ octane will have a slower burn and it is EASIER ON YOUR ENGINE.
ok that is my .02

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Right, it is more knock resistant since it wont explode before it's supposed to, but when you start changing up the timing of the explosion, you then have to start messing with spark plug heat ranges to capitalize as well, you cant just run a cooler range plug with a higher compression and think it'll be fine since it can/will/does work in reverse as well and fire too late//have a delayed explosion and that's not good either and that ends up turning into plug fouling/poor running since it's not getting a complete burn of the fuel being administered. It's not nary as hard on parts as pre-ignition since the rod is on the down stroke vs the upstroke/compression stroke, but your essentially "taking timing" away from the engine since it's not firing at the optimal time and doing it after the fact....yes, better after vs before, but not optimal and not running enough timing/having a mistimed firing sequence is not good either and can show up as other issues.

Just car run cars on the fat side, it's safer, temps are typically cooler in the exhaust track due to overly rich condition/too much fuel so not all is burnt, but it's not good on them either, carbon build up, fouled plugs, higher consentration of shit in the oil since the fuel isn't all being burnt and washes past rings leading to oil break down, cylinder wear, worn rings, etc...you know the drill LOL.

Run them optimum and burn all the gas your shooting in the cylinder, it'll run right and last a lot longer than trying to give them a fuel that cannot burn 100% because that causes issues too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Soooo.... For the 1000 motor, is that considered a high compression motor for high octane or still better then to run on 87 octane?

·
Registered
771 Posts
IHI, correct. ;) u know that i know, that you know your shit.... way thats too many knows... lmao
either way are people really arguing over less than the price of a medium coffee?!? regular to high test is a difference of 30 cents?... our tanks are around 5 gallons? that that is A DOLLAR FIFTY??!? look at all the mods that people put on their machines and crying over this? ha ha ha ha.
sorry just had to point out the elephant in the room.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Soooo.... For the 1000 motor, is that considered a high compression motor for high octane or still better then to run on 87 octane?
What does your manual recommend? Run that. They've done the testing they know what works best, listen to them and don't over think it LOL. I'm sure these engines could get away running 85 but with the engineered safety factor and what if's, 87 is more than safe for my bike, it's what my owner and service manual recommends, so that's what I run....do the same with yours.

People can justify the waste of money anyways they chose, but at the end of the day, running anything higher is just that, a waste of money, and technically worse for the bike because your taking power away.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
IHI, correct. ;) u know that i know, that you know your shit.... way thats too many knows... lmao
either way are people really arguing over less than the price of a medium coffee?!? regular to high test is a difference of 30 cents?... our tanks are around 5 gallons? that that is A DOLLAR FIFTY??!? look at all the mods that people put on their machines and crying over this? ha ha ha ha.
sorry just had to point out the elephant in the room.
LOL, I know but the dead horse is continuing to be beat, so gat-dammit I'm swinging for the fences LMAO, wanna look like a blood covered serial killer when I'm done:)

21 - 40 of 153 Posts