Polaris ATV Forum banner

What grade of gas do you run in your ATV?

Votes: 161 46.3%

Votes: 32 9.2%

Votes: 79 22.7%
  • 91+

Votes: 76 21.8%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
taking away power? explain that one to me? if the ECU is going off of a map in the ECU and it does not recognize knock at any time, thus not retarding the timing then it is "running correctly"

and i IHI, i know people can spend their money any way they want. i just like to piss in peoples cheerios once in a while. lol

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Ok good, I've been running 87 octane since I didn't notice any difference running premium gas. Not the cost factor but that we all sometimes share gas cans.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
taking away power? explain that one to me? if the ECU is going off of a map in the ECU and it does not recognize knock at any time, thus not retarding the timing then it is "running correctly"

and i IHI, i know people can spend their money any way they want. i just like to piss in peoples cheerios once in a while. lol
I have to assume that lack of sensors on bike polaris runs a canned tuned...not compensating for air density and such.

Higher octane/slower burning fuel can lead to an incomplete burn if your not also compensating with a higher heat range plug.....cold factory plug plus slow burning fuel equals incomplete burn...equals less power than before and it is essentially mimicing pulling timing out due to mismatched atdc explosion vs btdc explosion...its a package deal is what im getting at as far as power loss.

·
Registered
771 Posts

I have to assume that lack of sensors on bike polaris runs a canned tuned...not compensating for air density and such.

Higher octane/slower burning fuel can lead to an incomplete burn if your not also compensating with a higher heat range plug.....cold factory plug plus slow burning fuel equals incomplete burn...equals less power than before and it is essentially mimicing pulling timing out due to mismatched atdc explosion vs btdc explosion...its a package deal is what im getting at as far as power loss.
WELL THEN... ill just piss in my own cheerios. ha ha. i have yet to tear my motor down, but i figured they would have at least put knock sensors since it is fuel injected.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ i agree 100% as ive said before, I wouldnt run 87 in a 11:1 SBC.
LMAO, see that firebird in my sig. built on a 13.5:1 ratio, after everything was said and done with head gasket thickness, chamber size, depth piston was in the hole it came out to 11.8:1.

Ran 92 octane all day long, even with 150 shot of nitrous when I was playing....comes down to dynamic compression that includes cam timing/valve timing events and pressure bleed off. So take the face value 11.0:1 and stick that up your who who, cuz that don't mean dick in the real world.

these are built to run on low octane and get no benefit what so ever other than lightening ones wallet by running higher octane fuel, try to justify it anyway ya like, but your not doing anything "better" at all LOL.
good for you. i understand Static and Dynamic Comp. However IDK what they Dynamic CR is for the 850, but would rather not risk it. what do i have to gain by running 87 over 93, nothing! so shove that up your "who who". dont worry about how i spend my money mom.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
I run 87 with the appropriate amount of amsoil quick shot. I have always run an ethanol combative additive whether it be star-tron, marine grade sta-bil, Lucas ethanol treatment, and now I'm on the amsoil kick. I haven't a choice in an ethanol free gasoline. All octane grades where I live have 10% ethanol.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
good for you. i understand Static and Dynamic Comp. However IDK what they Dynamic CR is for the 850, but would rather not risk it. what do i have to gain by running 87 over 93, nothing! so shove that up your "who who". dont worry about how i spend my money mom.
Obviously you dont/didnt with your statement of not running 87 in a 11.0:1 sbc.
You can make huge power on pump gas but you have to just pay close attention to everything.

If it makes ya feel better using high octane in your machine, its your coin so do as you wish obviously. Just saying that higher octane fuel acts like a timing retard due to its slower burn so your essentially losing power. Sounds like the 850 has power to spare so no biggie, but these gutless single cylinders neex as much as they can get to stay out of their own way.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If your machine was built after 2008 ethanol should not even be an issue.
this is completely false! i see a lot of misconceptions being thrown around about running ethanol fuel these days. the ethanol problems have nothing to with a performance or capability factor. the average shelf life of ethanol based 87 octane is only 1 month before you start to see the effects of ethanol taking place. it gels up and and starts leaving residue inside your fuel system.

a fuel treatment such as sea foam or star tron will counteract the negative effects of ethanol and typically add 1 to 2 years shelf life to your ethanol based gasoline. if you're running your atv constantly then it isn't so much of an issue. i have 3 friends who operate atv performance shops and they all throw out warnings from time to time on their websites or facebook pages to warn customers about the ill effects of running ethanol based gas without using a fuel treatment such as star tron or sea foam. they could be making millions by staying hush hush about it but quite frankly, they are sick of seeing atvs come in the shop that are having issues due to untreated ethanol based fuels.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your machine was built after 2008 ethanol should not even be an issue.
this is completely false! i see a lot of misconceptions being thrown around about running ethanol fuel these days. the ethanol problems have nothing to with a performance or capability factor. the average shelf life of ethanol based 87 octane is only 1 month before you start to see the effects of ethanol taking place. it gels up and and starts leaving residue inside your fuel system.

a fuel treatment such as sea foam or star tron will counteract the negative effects of ethanol and typically add 1 to 2 years shelf life to your ethanol based gasoline. if you're running your atv constantly then it isn't so much of an issue. i have 3 friends who operate atv performance shops and they all throw out warnings from time to time on their websites or facebook pages to warn customers about the ill effects of running ethanol based gas without using a fuel treatment such as star tron or sea foam. they could be making millions by staying hush hush about it but quite frankly, they are sick of seeing atvs come in the shop that are having issues due to untreated ethanol based fuels.
This is the type of information I am basing my choice on, and not the octane, or power or...anything else. I only choose the premium octane (91 I think) because it is the only one without ethanol (Shell here in Ontario anyway). I haven't done the math, but I don't think the $$ difference between 91 octane with no Sta-Bil, or 87 octane + Sta-Bil all the time is significant. At least with the ethanol free straight from the pump, I am not buying, measuring, adding.....Fill and go!

I may not have all the information, but that is my logic. Nothing to do with power, knock sensors etc. for what it is worth :ponder:

However, continue the debate, it is entertaining and I think I saw the horse twitch. Quick, somebody hit him!!

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
However, continue the debate, it is entertaining and I think I saw the horse twitch. Quick, somebody hit him!!
Definitely if given a choice between dino 91/92/93 octane vs ANYTHING with ethanol, I'm picking dino fuel everytime...well actually I do anyways and get penalized on average by paying $0.40 more per gallon over the laced with ethanol gas...that's how anti ethanol I am after seeing first hand how destructive it is first hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I’m hearing 87 octane with a splash of sea foam, What mixture of 87 to sea foam do you guys recommend? Like a gallon to an oz?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does anyone not read their manuals anymore? High octane fuel is a complete waste, unless you're running forced induction in mud drags or some shit there is no reason for it. Go buy a can of seafoam at any auto parts store and it will give you all the information you need off the can it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i just laugh at sea foam this and sea foam that.... you do realize by adding that you are essentially putting an extra 50 cents PER gallon into your machine, so where is the savings?

fuel is refined so much that there is pretty much no more "gunK" that is in it like the old days. the worst thing now is the ethanol. THAT is the killer.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
i just laugh at sea foam this and sea foam that.... you do realize by adding that you are essentially putting an extra 50 cents PER gallon into your machine, so where is the savings?

fuel is refined so much that there is pretty much no more "gunK" that is in it like the old days. the worst thing now is the ethanol. THAT is the killer.
shhhh...the snake oil salesman is coming for you, watch your six

It does work, I've seen it first hand in a rebuilt race tranny that would randomly perform a 3-4 upshift when it was supposed to do it every pass, seafoam, worked great..unstuck some gunk somewhere in the valvebody.

seen it perform miracles on old mowers/blowers/atv's that got put away a long time ago and it helped unmuck the carbs so they ran right. Just cant imagine using it in anything that gets used at least once a month, even with ethanol garbage gas...if you keep the same 5 gallons in the machine all year, that's a whole nother thread about making the fuel survive storage, but seems crazy to use this stuff every tank unless your buying your fuel from a road side stand in the middle of the Mexican desert lol.

·
Registered
771 Posts
:trink4: agreed!

my fuel usually doesnt last longer than a month in the tank!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If Im riding and plan on burning it up i run 87. If i know the machines gonna sit for a while i run 91 ethanol free. Ive seen what the ethanol gas does after letting it sit for a while.

·
Registered
627 Posts

shhhh...the snake oil salesman is coming for you, watch your six

It does work, I've seen it first hand in a rebuilt race tranny that would randomly perform a 3-4 upshift when it was supposed to do it every pass, seafoam, worked great..unstuck some gunk somewhere in the valvebody.

seen it perform miracles on old mowers/blowers/atv's that got put away a long time ago and it helped unmuck the carbs so they ran right. Just cant imagine using it in anything that gets used at least once a month, even with ethanol garbage gas...if you keep the same 5 gallons in the machine all year, that's a whole nother thread about making the fuel survive storage, but seems crazy to use this stuff every tank unless your buying your fuel from a road side stand in the middle of the Mexican desert lol.
Yup here comes the BG sales rep!!!!!! God I hated those guys. Indeed, seafoam is a life saver on small engine maintenance. I love doing a smoke show with my exhaust pipes on my truck when it's time for its yearly decarb service. The neighbors think my garage is burning down.

·
Registered
771 Posts
SO. since i just got home from work and did just what several people have suggested.... GUESS WHAT!! it doesnt state anywhere in the 2013 polaris factory manual as to what octane fuel you should run!! so HA HA to the people saying you should read the manual...
unless it says it on a sticker somewhere on my machine... but IT DOES NOT SAY IT IN THE MANUAL. so what manuals are you guys reading?!

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Should be in the general maintainence section where it calls out all the fluids and what types to use.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts