Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question with I'm willing to bet a million answers.

Since I do take my quad in water/mud whenever I get a chance...what grease do you guys suggest that I use when greasing my zerk fittings?

I would prefer something I can pick up at a local autoparts store...not something that has to be ordered.

Annnnnnnd go!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Red Chassis/Wheel Bearing Grease.... all suspension zerks get a shot after every ride, to push out any moisture!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone ever had this issue....

I'm mechanically inclined...very much so...I have more tools and equipment than most people and I know how to use them. However it never fails that I cannot get any of my 4 grease guns to work right. I always manage to screw up the plunger or something along those lines and can't make it function right.

This always makes me feel like a noob...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use this stuff.....very waterproof.

Mark

Attachments

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Has anyone ever had this issue....

I'm mechanically inclined...very much so...I have more tools and equipment than most people and I know how to use them. However it never fails that I cannot get any of my 4 grease guns to work right. I always manage to screw up the plunger or something along those lines and can't make it function right.

This always makes me feel like a noob...
Push the rod up. My guns are the same way, the 13 guns we have at all the machines here at work are the same way...finikey bastards. Some work fine just taking plunger off the lock from refilling, some.want it pushed up, some want lock released and hammer the rod on a bench top...they all suck lol

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Oh, and ive said it before and had idiots argue...you have to run a lithium based grease for these poly bushing. Using a petrolium based grease will actually break down/eat these poly bushings. 99% of guys think grease is grease....you just have to make sure you use proper grease for material being lubed.

I always ask myself since itd be pointless to ask the know it alls on here, the guys with bushing issues....what grease are you using. I bet some of the issues with bushings going bad are because guys dont know any better and use oil based grease on them and thats like washing your car with salt water.

A good synthetic marine grease is what you want...sticks like stink on chit and wont degrade your bushings

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and ive said it before and had idiots argue...you have to run a lithium based grease for these poly bushing. Using a petrolium based grease will actually break down/eat these poly bushings. 99% of guys think grease is grease....you just have to make sure you use proper grease for material being lubed.

I always ask myself since itd be pointless to ask the know it alls on here, the guys with bushing issues....what grease are you using. I bet some of the issues with bushings going bad are because guys dont know any better and use oil based grease on them and thats like washing your car with salt water.

A good synthetic marine grease is what you want...sticks like stink on chit and wont degrade your bushings
Would the Mobile 1 listed above work? I know it's not listed as a "marine" grease. I am heading to Pepboys on my lunch break and will see what they have. I have a $15 gift card from reward points so I figured I would use it before it expires.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Would the Mobile 1 listed above work? I know it's not listed as a "marine" grease. I am heading to Pepboys on my lunch break and will see what they have. I have a $15 gift card from reward points so I figured I would use it before it expires.
Yes, Mobil 1 Synthetic Red Grease is a "Lithium Based" grease..... Product Data Sheet Link: Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

Mobil 1 Synthetic Red Grease Link: https://mobiloil.com/en/synthetic-grease/mobil-1-synthetic-grease

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky #2.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

They did not have the Mobil 1 syn, but I did find this and it definitely is a lithium based grease.

This should work right?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
It will work perfectly and wont degrade the poly bushings.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It will work perfectly and wont degrade the poly bushings.
Awesome!!! I also bought another grease gun just for the quad...and I'm making our tech here at the shop properly instruct me on the use of this one. Seriously though...these things piss me off :squint:

Thanks again everyone for the help and input.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
I bought a new pistol grip for ease of use at home...same story...pumped like a new one then blahh....nothing. pushed the rod up and all is right aith the world...for now lol

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I needed a high temp grease for my primary clutch one way bushing and after hours of research found Mobil 1 XHP 222 good to like 300F. It's actually a lithium grease, thick and tacky and meant for farm equipment. The downside is I only found it online, but depending on the place and shipping it is cheaper than the red Mobil that comes to what, $10 a tube?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I needed a high temp grease for my primary clutch one way bushing and after hours of research found Mobil 1 XHP 222 good to like 300F. It's actually a lithium grease, thick and tacky and meant for farm equipment. The downside is I only found it online, but depending on the place and shipping it is cheaper than the red Mobil that comes to what, $10 a tube?
This stuff I've got here has a temp rating if 550 degrees...if the tube wasn't already in the gun I'd snap a picture where it states that.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts