Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Green Grease" Is what I use....Marine, high temp, high speed...O'reilly's has it I believe....THE BEST grease I've ever seen...axles on my f350 are doing great @212,000mi

Ben

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Lucas Red and Tacky and I use it on everything. Anyway, brand is not really important; just get the one that is waterproof/water resistance.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
I have the Lucas Red and Tacky and I use it on everything. Anyway, brand is not really important; just get the one that is waterproof/water resistance.
And not petroleium based...unless you like changing bushings

·
Registered
212 Posts
I plan on getting the Mobil 1 Red for all my rotational joints an zerts.

What is everyone using to keep the bushing nice and from dry rotting? My dealear told mer there is some kind of oil spray out there that is a 6 in 1 that he uses on the rubber bushings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ended up getting the Lucas Red and Tacky for the zerts.
As far as the poly bushings go, will this stuff work? Water resistant coating, non-stick solution, and OK for rubber

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I put wolf's head red in my gun. We have cases of it at work so it's convenient.

I use a pistol grip gun with flex hose. I use a 90 degee grease tip to clear the CV boots when I hit the zerk on the lower rear a arm.

I also use the 90 to grease the end of the front drive shaft. I push the bike till the zerk is in a favorable spot and can reach right in there without pulling the foot well.

I've got a grease needle that works great to hit the u joints on the grizzly but have found no need for it on the 570.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh, and ive said it before and had idiots argue...you have to run a lithium based grease for these poly bushing. Using a petrolium based grease will actually break down/eat these poly bushings. 99% of guys think grease is grease....you just have to make sure you use proper grease for material being lubed.

I always ask myself since itd be pointless to ask the know it alls on here, the guys with bushing issues....what grease are you using. I bet some of the issues with bushings going bad are because guys dont know any better and use oil based grease on them and thats like washing your car with salt water.

A good synthetic marine grease is what you want...sticks like stink on chit and wont degrade your bushings
Makes sense to me. Learned something today.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Marine grade greese totally waterproof

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
So we can assume petroleum base waterproof grease is fine for u-joints, but use the lithium stuff for the bushings.
you can take that to the bank:cool2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
while some of you guys are on the right track, there is still a lot of misdirection going on in this thread.
First, I'll point out my favorites for greases. For general usage ESPECIALLY on anything bearing-related I prefer to use Texas Refinery Corp 880 Crown & Chassis grease. It has better wear characteristics than most any grease around. It is non-synthetic calcium+lithium based. It is water resistant, but will wash out easier than some other greases. For general usage on things that will get wet but are not subjected to water under measurable pressure, I like to use Mobil XHP 461 grease. This is a full-synthetic lithium complex grease. For things that will be subjected to pressure or CONTINUAL submerging underwater Greengrease(a non-industrial and easy to find grease) seems to work well. It is a fully synthetic lithium+calcium grease that is very very resistant to water washout but doesn't seem to do well for bearing usage. These favorites are based on field usage in the oil and gas industry where we have hundreds of differents of things on each of our 700+ drilling rigs within our company that need to be greased weekly, sometimes daily on equipment that never stops running. These are the ONLY greases we will run as they are the ones that have been field-proven to give the best results over time.

Now, back to the misdirection going on in this thread. SOME LITHIUM COMPLEX GREASES ARE MADE PETROLEUM BASED! Just because it says it is a lithium complex does NOT mean that it is fully synthetic. For example, Lucas RED n Tacky is a lithium+zinc soap base with a petroleum base.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For wheel bearings, shaft splines, and U-joints a very good grease is 238 Moly Supreme Synthetic Blend by Schaefer. It is waterproof but does have a little petroleum in it.
For the A arms and ball joints I use the Mobil One synthetic red grease.
We are lucky as there are so many high quality lubricants these days.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use AMSOIL Marine grease in all my machines with good results.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
12,863 Posts
While there is no one grease for all applications, I generally use Citgo RT Lithoplex red in my grease gun and Bel Ray Waterproof green grease for removable or hand pack-able applications (like axle bearings, a-arm bushings and steering head bearings)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks. Reading the second link I posted it looks like it would cover all ATV applications.
Maybe I’m wrong.

·
Registered
12,863 Posts
Any grease is better than no grease - but if you want an accurate answer, there are greases made for specific applications that may be suitable for other applications, but may be the only grease suitable for the specified application. Grease specified for use on the International Space Station may work fine in the lower drive unit of a boat motor, but the grease specified for the lower drive of the boat motor may cause a failure if used in space.

·
Registered
552 Posts
21 - 40 of 77 Posts