Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked on here before, but I really can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

According to the manual you're supposed to use a different type of grease on the front prop shaft yoke than what you're supposed to use on everything else. Does anyone follow this rule?

What grease does everyone use on their Sportsman XP? I've been researching on here and looking at different websites for each product. Should I use Lucas Red & Tacky? Should I use Amsoil Synthetic? Mobil1? GreenGrease? One thing I do know is that it's got to repel water. :ponder:

Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I use the best stuff possible.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would like to know as well but as far as I am concerned quality grease is quality grease.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It doesn't really matter what grease to use as long as it is waterproof. The red tacky stuff is what I use and it holds up very well plus it is free at work. I use it on everything and don't switch from one to the other when greasing parts. One grease for all.

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I bought the Lucas Red & Tacky this last time. I do the same as Ronnie. One grease for everything. If you grease your machine as often as you should, you will always have clean fresh grease in there.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I would use any good, top quality grease, that you can buy close to where you live. Mobil,Amsoil, NAPA. Just use it as often as needed. I use the same grease on all my zerks. Never had a problem yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I switched from Lucas to Amsoil water resistant grease here recently after doing a grease job on out test truck and it started bleeding not only from the gun but everywhere i pumped grease to. I also wanted a grease that was pound out resistant because of the abuse out bikes take.

Shaffers is also an awesome grease and if you can find it, buy it!

Matt

Sent from West 'by-God' Virginia!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I just ordered 4 tubes of Amsoil Synthetic Water Resistant Lithium Complex Grease NLGI #2 GC/LB and 4 quarts of Amsoil SAE 0W-40 Formula 4-Stroke PowerSports Synthetic Motor Oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would've used Lucas red and tacky, but I wanted a synthetic grease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts