Polaris ATV Forum banner

What have I done now? Drivetrain clunk.

8K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  michaelcsalyer 
#1 ·
It sounds like it's coming from the front differential. From a stop, with slight acceleration there's a binding in my drivetrain and a clunk noise from the front. I put my hand where the front driveshaft goes into the housing and there is considerable play.

#4 · (Edited)
EDIT:

I just read on the RZR forum the binding might be a smoked belt. Which would make sense cause last time I had it in my possession I'm pretty sure I ruined the belt.

#6 ·
I have been running Polaris bikes since 1998 and love them. But every machine have there issues what I have found in the front ends of my 800, 850 and other bikes are the the front cage breaks there made of a plastic compound. But there are aftermarket kits that offer aluminum and I run them in all my bikes with no issues after you change them. Even Polaris makes a replacement part out of aluminum as a option. Don't know if that's your problem but my 800 broke at 10hrs after using it on the farm in the mud. Replaced it and have never had a issue since.

#7 ·
Thank you muddin for your helpful response. I am going to look at my belt when I get a chance and go from there.

#8 ·
So does the awd work or is it acting up too??

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I'll see if I can find one. I was just browsing through eBay. Hell I would probably buy an oem one if I could find one in the parts diagram.

#12 ·
Any chance it's still under the 6 month warranty? Or did you happen to purchase an extended one to figure out what the issue is?

#13 ·
I'm not sure how to answer your question... My four wheeler is maybe a month old? I just got it back from the dealership under good will. I guess I will go talk to them tomorrow if I remember to. I just don't wanna be the guy who comes off as trying to dump the atv on them for every little thing.

#15 ·
I'm not sure how to answer your question... My four wheeler is maybe a month old? I just got it back from the dealership under good will. I guess I will go talk to them tomorrow if I remember to. I just don't wanna be the guy who comes off as trying to dump the atv on them for every little thing.
It doesn't sound little to me.
Very true. But you get the point.

#16 ·
I've always been a firm believer in using the warranty for anything that goes wrong, better to get a free fix instead of breaking down on the trails.

#19 ·
I don't really know what the polaris fees are as far as diagnostics under warranty. If they diagnose the problem as a belt and tell you how much it will cost to be replaced, then you're just out the diagnostic fee (if any). If they diagnose that it's a drivetrain malfunction then they should fix it no problem at no charge to you. I still can't believe that after a month you would be having a problem like this, and I couldn't imagine they'd charge you either for something found this quickly (unless you have like 40 hours on it already lol).

#20 ·
Ikr... First brand new atv I've ever paid for and all this happens...

I'm going to stop by the dealership and talk with the service manager about it. I KNEW I should've test drove it before I brought it home. I'm at 10 hours or so with 60ish miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.