Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..when using bike around yard an in the fields I hardly wear a helmet...(bad) but when i go trail riding i use my kids full face road Shoei..but it make me feel confined an hard to breath...
Now looking at the MX helmets with the longer chin section looks like it may work...or just an open face...
My question is..does any one use the MX type an do you feel restricted breathing..I like the Idea of the chin guard..but want it further away from mouth area..does the MX type extend further than a full face road helmet...

thank u

·
Registered
399 Posts
I use all three. Snomobile helmet for winter, motorcross spring and fall, and the skid lid(open face)on the real hot days.

MX does stick out farther from your mouth for a little more air flow. Or if you want the best of all three look at the modular helmets.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks..i will look at the modular helmets..I need something I can breath in..lol..I dam near panic'd one time using my kids helmet..thot they shut the air off outside...haha...

·
Registered
978 Posts
i have used the mx style on everything i ever rode except motorcycle. Its the only style ill wear summer or winter. Goggle's make it zero fog up and it has plenty of space to breath. My current is the fox v2 and its great. Has az breather you can take out or add for cold weather or dust.

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Hjc MX open face for 20 deg F and above and hjc snowmobile with the heated shield 20deg F and colder.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use a full-face, MX style helmet with the visor removed. If I tilt the helmet down just a tad I can power-spit my Copenhagen juice out of the hole where the visor used to be.

I wear a pair of WileyX photovoltaic (get darker in sunlight, clear when it's dark out) safety glasses. They never fog up, and are easily pulled off and cleaned with a bandana when we stop. I carry a couple extra pairs of DeWalt safety glasses in my front box and the guys with cheap goggles almost always wind up borrowing a pair before the day is done.

I just can't stand the way goggles put pressure on my sinuses... Makes me have a headache.

·
Registered
434 Posts
A flip down shield full face helmet (street bike style) is a bad idea if you ride any surface that is dusty. The inside of that glass will be covered with dust making vision very difficult and dangerous.

MX helmet with goggles is the only way I've ever ridden an ATV.

To me an open face helmet is stupid in any situation. It may keep you alive, but who wants to be alive if you just crushed or peeled your face off. SERIOUSLY!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have all versions but my go to is a full face modular scorpion helmet. The entire front flips up so you don't have to take the entire helmet off unless ya want to. It's completely dust free as well and has an internal sun visor as well. It's hot on those long summer days, buts it's the only way to ride in the winter.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dual sport is the best. No need for goggles as you can flip down the shield for dust or rain. And then back up when all is clear.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/AFX-FX-39-Sport-Helmet-Black/dp/B004PFIJMC[/ame]

This helmet should cost $300 bucks and it's less than $100...amazing!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dust just comes up under your neck area into the interior helmet. Goggles seal down and keep dust contained to the outside which can be easily wiped off while riding even. With goggles you are protected for that unexpected branch that smacks you in the face. If your shield was up... well sh$t. Lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought a nice set of helmets for my DW and myself about 8 years ago. The only problem--we just trail ride. Nothing scary but the helmets are so heavy that our necks get sore--and often we succumb to taking them off entirely. That is stupid I know but when riding becomes a literal pain, you do it less. What is a good helmet that gives acceptable protection and yet is lightweight. Pipe dream?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Bell Moto-9 helmet that I love.
But yeah, an open face helmet in the woods, with branches...crazy!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dust just comes up under your neck area into the interior helmet. Goggles seal down and keep dust contained to the outside which can be easily wiped off while riding even. With goggles you are protected for that unexpected branch that smacks you in the face. If your shield was up... well sh$t. Lol
Do you ride with your eyes closed? Never had issues with branches but have seen my friend with goggles have his nose bleeding from branches and thorns. I just close my shield and entire face is protected. He also eats more dust and looks like a raccoon after a couple of miles. I just close my vent. :fest06:

·
Registered
434 Posts
No, not riding with eyes closed. I do ride fairly fast a lot of times though. Branches happen. My entire face is protected as well. Full face MX helmet with Oakley goggles which have a nose guard built in. Lots of ventilation built into the helmet so it stays plenty cool in hot weather. In winter I just put on a ski skin under the helmet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
MX type helmet and Oakley goggles (grey or dark lense) when trail riding. Heavy duty insulated sherpa hat and polar fleece neck gator for plowing snow.

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
MX style with goggles in the warmer weather, and a full face motorcycle style in cold weather. To me, an open face helmet isn't much better than no helmet at all. I like the dual sport concept, but can't find one that fits comfortably. HJC makes the only helmets that fit me right.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

You have to get the chin curtain and there's no dust. My scorpion came with the curtain. Had it two years now and no dust on the inside.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts