Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Ran the vin numbers on that sportsman 700. Turns out it is a 2004.5. Does anyone know the differences between the 04 and this one ? Also, it seems there were two different carbureted engine versions, any input on these as well? Thanks All for your patience and time. Doubledeuce

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My understanding is that the 2004 and earlier had hub hilliards (4 wheel drive locked in at the hubs). 2004.5 and later had a central Hilliard (4 wheel drive locked in at the front differential).

Sean

·
Registered
434 Posts
there was alot of updates put in the 2004.5 n up just have to make sure when u order parts theres no differance between 2004 and 2005 if they dont have a 2004.5 listed sometimes youll have to go with 2005

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
When I was looking for my wife's wheeler last year I had the same question and many others!! As stated above, the 2004.5(+) 600 & 700 machines have the central hilliard differencial and the 2004(-) 600 & 700 machines have hub hilliard AWD engagement. For the 400-500 model machines the central hilliard wasn't added until 2005, when they also made the front end / body change across the board. A good note to remember: The earlier 2004.5-2006's (??) can also use front diff parts from the John Deere Gators..... aluminum cages vs. poly cages, not to mention a cheaper (and better) part through JD!! If you should happen into AWD engagement issues. Knock on wood.... wife's AWD is still going strong at 19xx miles. I think the key is regular front diff fluid changes.

One thing I noticed is that many of the coming year options, seemed to be added (tested) on the 600 & 700 models a year or two before 400-500 implementation. Another good way to veryify changes is to look at the parts phish.

Here are a couple handy links to save in your favorites folder.....

Parts Browser (Phish): Browse

VIN Decoder: Polaris Off Road Vehicles: Four Wheelers, RANGER RZR Side by Side ATVs and UTVs

Owners Manuals: Polaris ATV, Snowmobiles, RANGER, Victory

Shop Manuals: Index of /ORV Manuals

Nada Pricing Guide: ATVs: New Prices, Used Values & Specs ? NADAguides

If you have any more questions or want to post a link for member nit-pick and review..... I'm sure many of us would be glad to look and offer an opinion!

Good luck in your search! Lots of good machines out there, just have to wait and be patient for the "right one"!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts