Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing an engine rebuild on my Sportsman 800 with the service manual. The manual goes round and round with pointing me to different pages in the manual to find the correct piston ring gap, but unless I am blind, I cannot find the actual dimension. Am I reading something wrong? Do I need to calculate it out using some specific dimensions of the cylinder?
Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are you using an aftermarket piston? The piston will come with specs for each ring gap. They are not all the same. The specs can usually be found on the manufactures website as well.
If you're just replacing the rings on the OEM piston I can't help since I don't have an 800 manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pistons are OEM, originals to the machine, not replacements. Rings are new, but did not have any information at all with them. I do have the manual and it says to "Refer to the Engine Service Data" which I did and that is the only dimension that I can't find. I'd hate to put it all back together only to heat up the rings and have them seize up because they were too tight.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bruce!
Should have signed up many years ago. Nothing like procrastinating-broke my ATV last spring and finally getting around to fixing it so I can plow snow now that it is -7 degrees F.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts