Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,723 Posts
i am just curious the bolt grade of the wheel studs
That would likely depend on the year and model you have, my 850 uses metric M10x1.25 studs, they are not good hardened steel, break easy if torqued to specs of 75ftlbs. I couldn’t find any aftermarket studs in that size. I believe the models that use 3/8 studs have plenty of good alternatives to use.

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
Put simply and approximately because metric class has slightly less tensile strength than the SAE grade
US Grade 2 = approx metric property class 5.8
US Grade 5 = approx metric property class 8.8
US Grade 8= approx metric property class 10.9

The wheel studs if metric are either 8.8 or 10.9 depending on their diameter 10 and under is 8.8 and 12 and over is 10.9

If the studs are SAE then 7/16 and smaller are grade 5 and 1/2 and up are grade 8

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
What model do you have, what size is the stud and what spec were you torquing to?

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
1,757 Posts
I haven’t figured out how to fill out my sig yet lol

I have a 2021 sportsman xp 1000 base

was torquing to 75 ft lbs , one stud had lubricant from mounting the wheel and it snapped .

since then I was instructed by polman500 to use a small 3/8 rachet and get it good and tight . I have checked all studs and replaced 1

·
Registered
13,457 Posts

I believe those studs are 7/16 and torque to 75 Nm or 55 ft lbs

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,895 Posts
Lubricant will affect the torque requirements. The 75ft-lbs is assuming dry conditions. If you have any lubricant whatsoever, the torque should be less. Even a small amount of grease or oil on your hands that gets transferred to the stud will affect torque requirements. I broke mine when torquing to 75. Now I lube mine with never seize and torque to 55ft-lbs. have never had an issue since.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,895 Posts
Also the torque spec is different for aluminum and steel wheels. Make sure you are using the right “dry” torque value for the right wheel type. Then reduce accordingly if lubed.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,723 Posts
Yeh I thought about the lube, the studs were bone dry, then thought maybe they listed Nm and I used ftlb-nope, the manual clearly states 75ftlbs for 850/1000 aluminum wheels. Oh well, live and learn, I should’ve never used a torque wrench on them anyway, I’ve got 45 years experience working on machines, my hands know what’s tight. I blame myself.

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
10 mm 8.8 grade 50 ft lbs dry

Manuals contain a large amount of 'ERRATA' - don't rely on the manual 100% - I rebuilt a transmission in a Honda motorcycle that was assembled incorrectly at the factory, but by the parts breakdown and the service manual it was correct. I contacted Honda and after a few weeks of their 'investigation' they confirmed it was laid out and assembled in the incorrect order - one .75 mm thrust washer was on the wrong side of a gear. It would work assembled incorrectly, but shifting was harsh and aggressive riders could experience engagement dog failure.

Here's how the starter motor is wired on the 15-16 Scrambler 500 (according to the factory service manual number 9926805) - note the wire from the NEG terminal of the battery goes to the POS post of the starter solenoid.

Correctly, there are 3 wires to the ground connection on the frame and the wire from the solenoid goes to the + side of the battery. If you connect the wires as depicted, everything will work and the solenoid will operate, but the starter motor will not run!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts