Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 sportsman 800. When I bump the killswitch/headlight switch/reverse over ride switch the wheeler dies!

I need to wiggle the switch to get the display to come on and the wheeler to restart. The speedo and odometer stopped working at same time but fuel, rpm, etc still work.

I assume the switch that holds these 3 things will fix all these issues?

I cant find one for an 06 800 though? ebay has a bunch but for different years/sizes.

Help? thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You may not need to buy anything. Take it apart, sounds like you have a bad wire, or something shorting to ground in that switch. May just be something you can fix in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may not need to buy anything. Take it apart, sounds like you have a bad wire, or something shorting to ground in that switch. May just be something you can fix in just a few minutes.
Been thinking about that too. Im not real handy and don't have much for tools though so a bit nervous.

I just ordered a nice winch and mount for it from Thor too and am gonna plow with it soon so def needs fixed right. Id really like a nice used switch, I just have no idea what, if any, other years/sizes will work.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you take it apart be careful, there are springs involved and many little contact pieces. It comes off fairly easy once you remove the grip and unplug it. A new one costs about $100. I am assuming it is the same as the 2006 500. I recently replaced one. You can find it on the Polaris parts website

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hey Kyle, look here Parts Finder Honda East Toledo Maumee, OH 1-877-437-1631 . They show it for $64.99 plus $12.99 shipping. Also, if you need anything else, order it at the same time because they offer free shipping for orders over $100.00. Not to mention they are a site supporting vendor. Buddy

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Remove, clean, re-install and save big bucks!

Sounds to me like it just needs it's contact points cleaned. So carefully take it apart (yup springs can fly!), take pics before so you can restore as before, clean, file or sand any rusty or dark colored areas, re-assemble and it should work like new. I've seen this before on about 5 year old machines, somewhat normal. :werd:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds to me like it just needs it's contact points cleaned. So carefully take it apart (yup springs can fly!), take pics before so you can restore as before, clean, file or sand any rusty or dark colored areas, re-assemble and it should work like new. I've seen this before on about 5 year old machines, somewhat normal. :werd:
Certainly worth trying first. That was my original intent but I had an oops and decided to be safe and lazy and bought a new one. If you clean yours be sure to test it out good before going too deep into nowhere and or be prepared to jumper the kill switch. Mine failed in the field but not too far from home and I did not determine the problem to be the switch until in the garage. Had I been deeper into nowhere I think I would have figured it out due to sheer necessity. I had lost all power after a stop and knowing there are a few things that could cause that we just towed me back home and grabbed my other Sportsman and did a closer to home ride. I had played with the kill switch in the field but no indication that it was the culprit until later in the garage, if you just slightly pushed on the switch all power would come back so at that point it became obvious......Anyway good luck on your repair and test it good...which you probably already planned on but thought I would say it anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts