Votes: 49 68.1%

Votes: 6 8.3%

Votes: 17 23.6%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what type (%) of Octane gas do you run in your ATV and Why? Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
87 octane. When an engine doesn't need it, it's a waste of money. Only in one of my boats that suffers from a common run on situation do I bump it to 89 to mask the run on symptoms. Only had one high performance supercharged vehicle that absolutely had to have 91 octane as per the manufacturer. If I were to seek out non-oxygenated gas from one of the few stations that sell it...then it is only offered as 91 octane so a double price whammy.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
91 or 93 ethanol free, my 500 runs like crap on anything else.

·
Registered
978 Posts
87 is all i run in my 800efi

·
Registered
378 Posts
91+, 92-93 here where I live. I use higher octane in all my trucks so when I fill up, everything uses the same thing. Always have, always will.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
87 since that is my only choice here at the local pump. Both sportsman's run great on it.

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
I run 87 and its cut with ehonal. I treat all my gas with an additive to combat the ill effects of the ethanol.

·
Registered
554 Posts
jkust is right. Unless you have a high performance model with high compression, or have modified the compression or ignition timing on your engine premium is just a waste of money. The whole point of octane is to increase the fuels ability to resist detonation or preignition. Higher compression means more heat and greater potential for both. If your engine, whatever it is, runs well on regular there is no benefit to higher octane. All you're doing is giving the oil companies more of your hard earned money. They get enough of my money already. Here's a good summary. Regular Versus Premium Gasoline

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll run either 87 or 89 octane..... and a shot of sea foam in every tank. Both machines run good.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seafoam? really?? Anybody else use any other additives

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run 87 octane that's ethanol free and sea foam every once in a while

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Seafoam? really??
Yup.... run it in all my toys and small engines equipment I fill from a gas can and not the pump. I'll run it through my daily drives at each oil change and/or if taking on a long trip. Use to use Stabil on the motorcycle for storing it every winter. And every spring it'd need a carb cleaning.... switched to Seafoam and problem solved. So I'm a believer... and use it on everything I own that has an engine.

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
I use star-tron, lucas ethanol treatment, or sta-bil ethanol treatment.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok Thanks..I use Stabil when I store them but never did it in the Spring/Summer

·
Registered
118 Posts
I tried the 91 in both our grizzly 700 and our 850xp. Both machines run better on 87 but I'm forced to use 89 because of the ethenol in the 87 which can turn to water.
Both machines backfire quite bad on 91, much less backfiring on 89. If I know I'm going out for a day run and am going to burn the whole tank that day, I'll run the regular 87. These lower compression engines will thank you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Seafoam? really?? Anybody else use any other additives
Sea Foam here too. Just a splash in every tank to combat the corn in the 87 octane

·
Premium Member
10,611 Posts
Ok Thanks..I use Stabil when I store them but never did it in the Spring/Summer
I don't use the storage only sta-bil I use the one that is also for treating gas with ethanol in it. i have used a few different ethanol treatments and they all yield better mpg's and feel a tad bit more powerful. plus they all extend the storage life of gasoline.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yup, another user of seafoam here too. Great stuff. :)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Seafoam is a great product.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts