1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preventive maintenance.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 850 Touring SP
57 hours. 300 miles.
  • polaris oil filter and 5W-50 full synthetic.
  • pulled rear wheels and hubs and used aftermarket wheel bearing greaser.
  • pulled rear skid. finally able to see the grease fittings and lube. Custom cut drain holes.
  • cut Pre marked drain holes in my Iron Baltic skid plates. Going to be much easier to keep clean.
  • pulled belt cover (what FPITA that is. Have to remove plastics also if you want to change belt. Belt looked brand new. Not even dust or shavings in the cover. No evidence of water intrusion.
  • cut front skid to access tow hook. Might work, probably not a big enough hole.

Tomorrow. Changing fluids early. Meant to do around 25 hours
  • pull front wheels and pack bearings
  • lube all front grease fittings
  • change rear diff fluid
  • change front diff fluid
  • change transmission fluid
  • change ADC fluid.
  • button her back up so my wife can have her side of the garage back

Spark plugs this weekend when they come in.
Sad you have to pull plastic for that crap.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,462 Posts
Checked fuel rail pressure

·
Registered
648 Posts
Tore the front plastic, fuel tank and clutch cover off so I can check the valves. Exhaust was close. Intake was less than zero. I ordered the smallest bucket available so I can actually get a measurement. Then, I'll have to order some more buckets to actually adjust them. I was able to swap around the buckets I had to get the exhaust valves @ .009". Spec is .008 +/- .002 so I figured I'd shoot for the loose side 'cause they are only gonna tighten up over time.

Its not a terrible job to do but the whole idea of have the shim attached to the bucket really irritates me. Thats the difference between me running down to the local shop and buying a few shims vs. ordering buckets from online, or the local dealer and waiting. And, I have to do it twice due to the less than zero issue.

I really thought about converting over to the old style but I've not seen proof that it works without issue and, it would cost a bit over $200 vs, the 3 buckets I need to buy @ less than $30 each.

·
Registered
486 Posts
We had all filters and fluids changed on our machine this summer, although not the coolant. Plus sparky plugs and drive belt. Our 700, 2014 Sportaman has few miles or hours on it.

·
Registered
2013 Polaris XP 550
20 Posts
Just had exhaust valves adjusted by a tech friend. Rotten things don't like to stay in adjustment. Shouldn't have to keep doing this on a machine with only 1,300 miles on it. New IAC valve. Was throughing IAC code. Changed oil and filter. Went from Polaris oil to a heavier Amsoil synthetic. New plug. Greased whole machine. Now I just saw that my left headlight is out. Have to check the wires. May have pulled one loose working on machine. If not that then get a new one. Thinking about replacing my synthetic cable on my Warn winch. Going riding next week as the weather is supposed to be much cooler.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Preventive maintenance.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 850 Touring SP
57 hours. 300 miles.

• cut Pre marked drain holes in my Iron Baltic skid plates. Going to be much easier to keep clean.
  • pulled belt cover (what FPITA that is. Have to remove plastics also if you want to change belt. Belt looked brand new. Not even dust or shavings in the cover. No evidence of water intrusion.
  • cut front skid to access tow hook. Might work, probably not a big enough hole.
Tomorrow. Changing fluids early. Meant to do around 25 hours
  • pull front wheels and pack bearings
  • lube all front grease fittings
  • change rear diff fluid
  • change front diff fluid
  • change transmission fluid
  • change ADC fluid.
  • button her back up so my wife can have her side of the garage back
Spark plugs this weekend when they come in.
Sad you have to pull plastic for that crap.
what's changed on the 18's that you have to pull plastics to remove cover or belt?The 15 is a PITA but the cover does come off without pulling plastics.More of a PITA is getting the driven clutch off(WTF)
I dont think cutting the IB skid is gonna give you usable access to the hook.Isnt that part of the skid a double layer of IB ?Let me know how it works out ,Id love to have the hook back with the skids.
I still havent got the IBs back on the new bike.Got used to not having them on.Mattinance and cleaning are SOOOO much easier.But I do want to get them back on

·
Registered
648 Posts
Got my 440 bucket yesterday. Didn't have to leave for work till 9AM today so, I threw it in so I could measure up both intake clearances this AM.

Got the intake buckets ordered as well as seals for the valve cover bolts. I threw in some maintenance items too. AGL, demand drive fluid, and a spark plug.

RMATV says it'll all be here in 3 days with free shipping. I sold some old vmax parts so I had a nice paypal balance to cover the parts.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what's changed on the 18's that you have to pull plastics to remove cover or belt?The 15 is a PITA but the cover does come off without pulling plastics.More of a PITA is getting the driven clutch off(WTF)
I dont think cutting the IB skid is gonna give you usable access to the hook.Isnt that part of the skid a double layer of IB ?Let me know how it works out ,Id love to have the hook back with the skids.
I still havent got the IBs back on the new bike.Got used to not having them on.Mattinance and cleaning are SOOOO much easier.But I do want to get them back on
not sure what has changed.
seems the top two bolts that were a pain come out easily with the seat off. Then you have to remove the sub frame.
maybe because it is a Touring?
Yes. Double plastic up front. I would have to keep cutting. No idea why IB says just cut that small portion and it works.
I also can’t install the front bash plate due to the ATV Guru bumper.

How do you protect your oil filter?

·
Registered
924 Posts
not sure what has changed.
seems the top two bolts that were a pain come out easily with the seat off. Then you have to remove the sub frame.
maybe because it is a Touring?
Yes. Double plastic up front. I would have to keep cutting. No idea why IB says just cut that small portion and it works.
I also can’t install the front bash plate due to the ATV Guru bumper.

How do you protect your oil filter?
Id have to take another look at mine but even cutting the piece out (unless you take out alot) you would not have enough room to get a hook in there.
The ATV GURU has a shorty bumper . That and 2 new holes in the bash plate works for the GURU and IB combo. Theres a full write up on the forum on how to do it.(I forget who wrote it up)
The oil filter was protected using the metal Round plate that was protecting the filter with the stock skids.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I wrote it up LOL.
My bumper has the lower portion so it interferes with adding the bash plate.
I screwed the stock oil filter plate in.
apparently it didn’t want to stay.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slow going. Didn’t finish.
Just greased the rears.
For the fronts, am I reading the manual correctly, I have to remove calipers, then pop off tie rod and ball joints to do this?
considering not doing the fronts yet if that’s the case.
57 hours. 300 miles.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think I wrote it up LOL.
My bumper has the lower portion so it interferes with adding the bash plate.
I screwed the stock oil filter plate in.
apparently it didn’t want to stay.
Thats was a good write up.Worked for me.
I did a couple extra things like camphor the plastic around the winch opening so it had a smoother edge
and recessed the oil plate with a router so it didnt snag on anything. Then I filled tin the front wheelwell where it met the IBs.IMO it was a GREAT BIG mud catcher..Used some 3" pipe insulation and it probably took out 90% of the crap that gout up n therer
If you want the shorty ,just cut the bottom half off.Thats all john does.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!
Good ideas. I will have to do that for the oil filter cover.
did you just screw the bolts into the IB plastic?

I paid extra for the longer bumper instead of buying the shorty.
not sure if the current bumper gives more or less protection than the IB bash plate.
Bottom two bolts of the current bumper are impossible to bolt in.
may get a length of threaded rod and put from one end to the other.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely not cutting more around the hook.
bad spot to weaken things.

here’s how my front looks without the bash plate

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks!
Good ideas. I will have to do that for the oil filter cover.
did you just screw the bolts into the IB plastic?

I paid extra for the longer bumper instead of buying the shorty.
not sure if the current bumper gives more or less protection than the IB bash plate.
Bottom two bolts of the current bumper are impossible to bolt in.
may get a length of threaded rod and put from one end to the other.
i just took a look at the hook area on the IB. Hopefully you didn't start cutting because there is no way a hook is gonna get in there without cutting a lot of the bottom also skid.
The oil plate went right back in the stock screw holes

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
4,462 Posts
Did Bridge/Trail maintenance work today, Does that count???

See my separate post with pictures.

Reactions: Doc8404

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just took a look at the hook area on the IB. Hopefully you didn't start cutting because there is no way a hook is gonna get in there without cutting a lot of the bottom also skid.
The oil plate went right back in the stock screw holes
yep I cut already. Looks like crap but you can’t see it without being under it.
In the stock screw holes?
not sure I understand.
you have the IB over them. You lined it up well enough or did you route it deep?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finished with plugs and air filter.
added heat shield.
I believe it was a recall prior to 2018.
still gets damn hot.

shouldn’t be an issue reflecting the heat back to motor and components?

plugs were dark and dry.
gap still .35-.38

E680BDA3-3AD3-414B-AEBB-C1CCFB0516BD.jpeg
81C40182-AA1D-46A5-BDF2-4FB1C1E71956.jpeg
83CF71AC-73FE-47CA-9B09-D2E813F4FDB7.jpeg
5989D1A4-0D39-4647-94FA-EBA786F3759E.jpeg

Reactions: FPD218
1 - 20 of 88 Posts