Polaris ATV Forum banner

What maintenance did you do today?

61K views 803 replies 43 participants last post by  pcaster 
Not a good day..Goals were to grease the front wheel bearings, front suspension, change front diff fluid, and trans/diff.

Started off running out of grease in grease gun..Had a partial tube, went to push it in and it collapsed on me..So trip 1 to auto parts store for more Lucas Marine Grease.

Got Marine grease, then spent 10 minutes trying to get my grease gun to prime..Glad I decided to use the air grease gun (harbor freight).

Started greasing the front wheel bearings with the grease adapter..Grease is coming out around the tool and not in the bearing..Remove tool..The o-rings are ripped!! So now clean up again and a trip to the hardware store(trip #2). If someone else should find this, o-ring #29 fits the front bearings 35MM grease adapter for Sportsman 570.

Finish wheel bearings then go to remove the rear drain plug..Cannot get it to budge because the 3/8 setup is flexing..Run to Harbor Freight(trip #3). to get 1/2 inch extensions and 1/2->3/8 adapter for plug...It removes..

Drain and put the mangled plug back in for now..Will have to order a new one..Try the fill plug, and it removes but it's also kind of mangled now.

Go to remove the front differential drain and fill plug. They also strip trying to remove them(I ensured the 8mm bit was nice and straight and fully in)..

Remove skid plates..Some of the Torx screws from Riccochet are a bit hard to get straight..Get them all off...An order for Bolt Depot.

Finally get the drail plug and fill plug out..Used a hammer and chisel to push the outside to loosen.

So now I need 4 drain/fill plugs (not cheap!), and new hardware for my skid plates (no more torx!!)

Try manhandling an 800 lb dead sportsman back to your truck alone 1200+ yds uphill both ways on 2 feet of snow..haha well the snow is a lie n only one way but that was way back..i had to get my dead quad back to and on truck alone it hirts still from 3wks ago
I had to load my dead 750 lb sportsman up a ramp into my trailer...I now keep a come along in my trailer.

They’re almost a sportsman with less weight amd a solid axle/mono shock in rear…I believe they are alot lighter but my buddy swears his is heavy ss mine,.he did put a launch control on his with a resistor on the override button somehow but it does rip they don’t have lo gear either only higg n reverse
I had a 01 Scrambler 500. They are faster and lighter than a Sportsman 500 (not so sure about a Sportsman 570 with fuel injection).

They sucked gas pretty good, and didn't ride as well as a Sportsman 500. They require more maintenance, as they have a chain drive and the front hubs with u-joints.

If you jumped them in the air the suspension would compress and cause the so much stress on the chain it would break the transmission case. They were supposed to be fixed for 01, but it happened to mine!

The sparkplug is very difficult to access, and if you run it out of fuel, it takes a very long time for the fuel pump to pull it from the tank and fill the carb.

They also quickly wore out suspension bushings and brakes. And for some bizarre reason the needle valve for the float would wear out quickly and leak fuel out the carb overflow.

Now--having said all of that..They did NOT break axles or have bearing issues. They have a backup pull starter that wasn't difficult to pull.

They are fun!!

I had a 01 Scrambler 500. They are faster and lighter than a Sportsman 500 (not so sure about a Sportsman 570 with fuel injection).

They sucked gas pretty good, and didn't ride as well as a Sportsman 500. They require more maintenance, as they have a chain drive and the front hubs with u-joints.

If you jumped them in the air the suspension would compress and cause the so much stress on the chain it would break the transmission case. They were supposed to be fixed for 01, but it happened to mine!

The sparkplug is very difficult to access, and if you run it out of fuel, it takes a very long time for the fuel pump to pull it from the tank and fill the carb.

They also quickly wore out suspension bushings and brakes. And for some bizarre reason the needle valve for the float would wear out quickly and leak fuel out the carb overflow.

Now--having said all of that..They did NOT break axles or have bearing issues. They have a backup pull starter that wasn't difficult to pull.

They are fun!!
Oh yeah..Their is a special procedure you have to do after changing the oil and filter to prime the oil pump. It's in the service manual.

Same with sportsman and most others I believe, but I never drain the sump..ive done it 2 times and the 1.7 oz of oil left behind isn’t anything i worry about. I drain , put plug back in n start for about 5 seconds (very long 5 seconds) and pull plug again and most of thag comes out..ive cleaned the screen off few times too…after 25 years if it still hasn’t clogged i don’t think it’s going to ..pita tbh for the reward, which I have yet to be able to find haha
I believe the special procedure is to bleed air from the oil pump.

So washed and re-installed the skid plates (removed from last week's fiasco of drain/fill plugs). Removed the clutch cover and measured the wear of the primary clutch buttons and secondary rollers..Still fine at 5300 miles!

Removed everything necessary to check valve clearance (this time removed the front plastic--much easier!). Intake valves are tight again! Went from .006 to .004 and .003..Have to order new tappets again!

Found the annoying rattle I have been chasing for 2 years...The exhaust shield is loose..Tightened clamps and will put some stainless steel zip ties on it to help support.

Let's see..My Sportsman 570-Finally got the bucket for the valves..Completed to valve cover installed....My skidoo snowmobile-changed oil & filter, chaincase oil, and reverse motor (not finished). My friends Yamaha snowmobile-Put chaincase together and discovered why the drive shaft wore a hole in the case (magnets came loose)..Reinstalled the drive shaft bearing and brake assembly..bled brakes..

So...60% done on my sportsman, 80% on my skidoo, and 30% on yamaha.

So I finished my 2019 570 SP (Valve adjustment, throttle adjustment, fluid change(new drain and fill plugs), upgraded rear springs, wheel bearing grease, rear hub bushings (garage products, battery relocate, clutch check/blow air, shorten winch wiring, brake check, and new spark plug). The gasket for the clutch cover is split, so another part I need to order.

Worked on my Skidoo snowmobile..Put the reverse mechanism, muffler, and battery back in..Tested, reverse isn't working correctly, will have to take apart and check adjustments.

I'm a lil bitch to my electric bill and I refuse to turn on my AC until June. There has been warm days here and there but the last week and a half has been brutal and into the 90's. I put a mattress in my basement and have slept there the last couple of nights. My living room has been sitting at 89 degrees the last 2 days in the evening. I turned my AC on for the 1st time last Wednesday and it would barely cool anything down. It turns out that the bottom condenser coil ran right over top of a compressor line and have been slowly rubbing for 21 years. The aluminum coil line finally rubbed through and it was in an area that a guaranteed fix wasn't really possible. It was a Trane unit and has been outstanding for all this time until now. Trane & American Standard are literally the exact units built on the exact assy. line together. The difference is the final outside body color and badging at the end of the assy. line. Hopefully I'm good again for another couple of decades or more.
Are you married? I know what I wouldn't be getting (food of course), if the temp was over 72 in the house...Happy Wife Happy life.

View attachment 168132
Tje prelude is 90% done..1st pic is rhe egr intake and exhaust port runners..the round is exhaust side, that’s clear, the square is intake amd I’ve managed to get a wire hanger partially into the 2nd cylinder runner from manifold to block..egr still partially blocked, changed sway links 1 was broke, brakes, undercoating, 1 last valve lash adjustment, cleaned vtec solenoid again and tuned it with my Bluetooth obd scan tool from Amazon..last pic is 189hp @ neutral just revving, vtec engages items like corsa mode on a Lamborghini…ill b giving it back ij a few days
Sorry to suggest this, but you should have replaced the brake rotors and lubricated the slides.

You also should consider replacing the timing belt because of all the oil that is on it. I have seen belts break with catastrophic results. And if the water pump is driven by the timing belt, also replace it while you are there!

Had a 86 or 87 Prelude break a belt. Bent the valves..Had to remove the head and have it fixed..Was not easy, as this car had dual carbs and a spaghetti mess of vacuum lines!

Lol..yea replaced pads, hardware, lubed em..the belt was sweat ..not oil. It’s been replaced, along with water pump and tensioner, H22A..honda engine in general are interference engines. Appreciate the concern but I only do things correctly and thats it..don’t know how to do it half arse
You definitely are one of the smarter owners. I replaced a dozen or so timing belts between 1991-1993. Half of them were preventative maintenance, the other half were broken.

So many people thought I was out to cheat them that this needed to be replaced. I would point out that the owner's manual has it stated, and after showing them, they would "it runs fine, if it's not broken don't fix it". I would also get the questioning of changing the water pump and tensioner while I was in there at the same time.

And of course the generalization of "it's a honda, toyota, ford, etc...".

The rotors were just replaced 9 months ago believe it or not, nit my call. Iwner already got waxed for 2000$ by valley auto for supposedly rebuilding the bottom end..receipt states, replaced pistons..verified, honed cylinder walls, ground valve stems..(too much), replaced rod bearings (???) don’t know about that but why wouldn’t you, this is the best, degreased and flushed block…as a mechanic or anyone working on an engine naturally you should clean everything outside before even opening it so nothing falls in there…i can assure you that the degreasing didn’t happen..o also oil pump and pickup tube…
I have seen dealers here replace a water pump and then charge the customer for R&R WP , flush and fill, and my favorite-heat and pressure test.

Bosch mechanical fuel injection....Very good system..

If you don't have the skills or tools to adjust the fuel pressure, or other stuff (like the fuel distributor), take it to a dealer.

working on a German car it has had alot of problems it is finely getting close to running good new gas tank fuel pumps all new vacuum lines View attachment 170893

nes View attachment 170894

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.