Polaris ATV Forum banner
261 - 280 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
388 Posts
At some point in that cables life there is only so much adjustment left.

I actually think the problem is a weak spring on this one, I tried a couple I had laying around
I hear that, mine is wearing @ the carburetor so it makes it hard to adjust at the ETC box

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Just ordered these bulbs, and a new whip flag for the boy. Weeds are high where we ride and I want to see him!

JUNK

I do admit the reflector is dirty but not bad.
I have one OEM and one of the above.

The bright one is the OEM.
the other is the above POS bulb.

I blocked each one with my big ass to take the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
A family member dropped off their Sportsman 400 HO for repair.
Someone crashed it into a tree pretty good.
Front plastic was pretty scrunched up.
Upper radiator support bent beyond repair. I ordered up a used one from PSN.
Bought some front storage lid repair brackets for a 570. Looks like it will work on the 400.
Took a heat gun to the front plastics and got them bent back into a pretty close to normal shape.
Use some JB plastic epoxy to glue it back together a bit.
Should have got some before pics.

Sounds like it needs a rear axle. I'll have to look into that.

While shuffling things around in the garage, I noticed the brake lever on the 570 felt a little off. Then, I noticed its leaking brake fluid from the rear caliper. Ordered a rebuild kit for that. Hopefully it works. I'm not much of a fan of All Balls parts but, Its the only thing I could find short of paying through the nose for individual OEM parts. You'd think polaris would sell a reasonably priced rebuild kit like many other manufacturers do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
A family member dropped off their Sportsman 400 HO for repair.
Someone crashed it into a tree pretty good.
Front plastic was pretty scrunched up.
Upper radiator support bent beyond repair. I ordered up a used one from PSN.
Bought some front storage lid repair brackets for a 570. Looks like it will work on the 400.
Took a heat gun to the front plastics and got them bent back into a pretty close to normal shape.
Use some JB plastic epoxy to glue it back together a bit.
Should have got some before pics.

Sounds like it needs a rear axle. I'll have to look into that.

While shuffling things around in the garage, I noticed the brake lever on the 570 felt a little off. Then, I noticed its leaking brake fluid from the rear caliper. Ordered a rebuild kit for that. Hopefully it works. I'm not much of a fan of All Balls parts but, Its the only thing I could find short of paying through the nose for individual OEM parts. You'd think polaris would sell a reasonably priced rebuild kit like many other manufacturers do.
What’s wrong with all balls? I have u joints, bearings and bushing kits installed, rides like a gem, going on 200+ hrs on em and she flies with no resistance or drag anymore, everyone is entitled to their opinion but it’s subjective criticism and it will sit in ur head making you doubt the part, if u feel unsafe then thats fair, i get it. Ive not had a problem and mt local shop guys prefer them over the other choices ie:-amazon etc

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What’s wrong with all balls?
Its not subjective criticism. It first hand experience. Years ago I purchased front, and rear wheel bearing kits for my CR500 off Amazon. I was in a hurry and the parts came in 2 days vs. ordering OEM parts. The front wheel bearings lasted 2 short rides. The rear was loose the first ride! The bearings were no-name chinese parts in an All Balls bag.

I replaced the all balls parts with OEM (NTN IIRC) and they lasted for years afterwards.

On the other hand, I bought an All Balls axle for my 570 and its been holding up just fine for 2 years now. I broke my axle a couple days before a 5 day HMT trip and the only thing in stock locally was their "6 Ball Axle" so, I bought it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Its not subjective criticism. It first hand experience. Years ago I purchased front, and rear wheel bearing kits for my CR500 off Amazon. I was in a hurry and the parts came in 2 days vs. ordering OEM parts. The front wheel bearings lasted 2 short rides. The rear was loose the first ride! The bearings were no-name chinese parts in an All Balls bag.

I replaced the all balls parts with OEM (NTN IIRC) and they lasted for years afterwards.

On the other hand, I bought an All Balls axle for my 570 and its been holding up just fine for 2 years now. I broke my axle a couple days before a 5 day HMT trip and the only thing in stock locally was their "6 Ball Axle" so, I bought it.
In my opinion you got a watch anything you order from Amazon even if it’s the same brand Might not be the same quality although everything I’ve gotten from my truck with the exception of one thing sucked I’m sorry it was good one thing sucked lol I got all my all balls stuff from my cycle shop I know the guy really well I don’t think he would steer me wrong it may not be as good as the newer model but for a 97 it’s a hell of a difference on another note does anybody ever use any of the traveler lighting kits from tractor supply particularly the four pack RGB rock lights kit is 5799 4 pods in control…
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Wheel
do you only I want to add is one light in the rear I’ve mentioned several times I hate the darkness behind me especially in a unfamiliar area that’s why I bring out the artillery with me when I ride at night I also don’t want to put too much strain on the electrical system on this machine I don’t know how much access is available after the winch and all the other factory lights but I don’t even use them they actually draw more current than LEDs by a lot

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Should be able to check if it fits on sylvanias website. I did it with my misc truck lights.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk
thanks. They don’t have it listed.
I emailed them and asked if there was a brighter bulb.
they said they can’t tell me anything more than what’s on their site.

I ordered two new low and one new high.

Reactions: Nitroman78

·
Registered
388 Posts
thanks. They don’t have it listed.
I emailed them and asked if there was a brighter bulb.
they said they can’t tell me anything more than what’s on their site.

I ordered two new low and one new high.
I was going to add, an 896 is a dodge oem halogen, look up led in that # for 2nd gen w/sprort package and u will find em, already can bussed no need for voltage regulator or nothing. Prior to getting them for my truck I hated driving @ night, got oem style brand new head n fog housing with reflective backing for 119$ for all 4…got the led headlights and fogs. 3rd brake light, license plate lights and a 10 pack of led interior bulbs same as license plate for 9.99$ altogether it cost me 17$ more than the XID sylvania for 80$ to do whole truck in leds, my cluster, my climate control, my door locks n windows lights and dome n maps…insane huh

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
don’t want to add LED bulb to halogen housings.
If I go LED, going to light bar.

·
Registered
388 Posts
don’t want to add LED bulb to halogen housings.
If I go LED, going to light bar.
That’s why I said housing with reflective backings, I changed to led pods in front of my quad, im going to replace the low beams with the rectangular led pods j bought. Tractor supply really has decent lighting for everything not horrible pricing and ability to link everything (including winch) especially if their brand to a remote and or gang switch unit for easy neat install, almost gives it a factory look .
p.s… leds look horrible in halogen housing actually sometimes dimmer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
There are no Polaris lights on right now nothing that came on the bike is turned on light wise it is just the two round ones on the top rack I added a fusible block to the machine today to back up lighting on the back of the machine

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pretty sure I will need to add any more lighting to the front end of this machine now after this I replaced the stock low beams with a set of aftermarket LED magnified bulbs same shape almost identical placement check this out
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Building Sunlight
i do most of my riding in evening/@ night. I like to see, without struggling and with enough cast off to read and react well before i need to. It’s not about how bright can I get my rig. It’s about how well can i see when mt machine is moving along at a decent clip and if especially on a foreign trail which usually I’ll scout and drive really slow 1st few times til I know the terrain and where rhe obstacles are. Me and my son will go out tonight to r usual /spot…over 48 linear miles if trails, longest stretch is 3.47 mi in 1 direction but there are at least 50+Branch offs and probably 20 ive yet to even explore. I carry a sidearm and a very sharp blade and cap stun for the really stupid sobs that get liquid couraged up and decide they want to take something from someone else, ive said before lolgonna have to be someone else because i will die before i hand my shit over especially when im armed, trained with said firearm,23 years of boxing, mma & jiu jitsu & also tang soo do (korean martial arts) training. I carry just in case, I never started a single fight in my life but put your hands on me and were going to get to know each other very well and I promise it won’t be 1 to forget. Lol lights…lights not fighting mikey, 😂…someone just tried to jack someone off a yz 80 other day close to here, it’s just a possibility and I live in a upper class area so people get too comfortable think “Not here” not me lol yea ok, keep thinking like that and u get blindsided, my son daughter and wife are also trained or are in training in self-defense it’s one thing I do believe it from the very young age I was taught the same principles don’t start one don’t run away from one never turn your back if you get a tiger down you keep your foot on his throat

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks great!

Reactions: Nitroman78

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks great!
Thank you I was going to run them in the back actually lol and I’m sitting there looking at them like man they’re really almost identical to the factory low beams I move them out of the way cut the factory harnesses place season and I’m using the low beams words Rudolph of the factory how do I kill switch box that way I don’t have to add another set of wires and switches and all that I am getting a gang box switch and I do have a fusible block on the frame I will put one spotlight in the back just not that bright

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ok that was a voice text, anyone who owns an iPhone knows siri has the voice recognition of an 80yr old senile granny 😂….my lord I don’t even know what i was saying lolol, ok so i spliced the harnesses with solder and heat shrink/liquid electrical tape, then self sealing electrical tape and wire loom, using the factory low beam on kill switch box js what i was writing its insanely functional haha no problems seeing anything for a good several hundred yards if not significantly more depending on the grade of terrain…not bad for 55$ for both sets better than replacing housing on hi beam and put led and same for lo beams probably would have cost @ least 150-200$ I believe minimal

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, today it’s not what Ive done but what i have to do, last night my
Sportsman fel like there was a gorilla trying to hold me back I knew it didn’t feel right, get about 1/4 mile kn the trail and there’s a creek crossing with large rocks u have to almost completely stop to cross without going over handlebars ,
Hand lever goes all way like a desd pedal on car/truck. Needless to say my rear caliper is stuck or something , that usual loud banging in rear was gone and sure enough the disc was seized if j will…then the darn clutch cover back plate screws managed to back out and toss around inside cover. I had to abandon it n walk to truck(don’t ask I always bring tools , hadn’t rode kn a week almost but it’s really annoying and i see nightmare stories about this rear brakes, anything I should be aware of before i go at jt??…97 sportsman 500 4x4…master cylinder on bar with hand lever …not gonna be fun, on another Note the lights work great 😂😂

261 - 280 of 340 Posts