Polaris ATV Forum banner
681 - 700 of 753 Posts

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
621 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Auto part Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Road surface
Me n my little man went riding all day yesterday, get home for shakedown and lo and behold 1-lower rear control arm front bolt was backed out all but 3 threads, same arm rear bushings worn from the play…upper control arm inner and outer bushings shot, upper and lower shock bushings (gone)…sll this happened in 1 day of fun haha, needless to say there’s bushings are probably original but I ordered the all balls rear kit for like 120 from my guy last week anyway they should be in tomorrow I’m hoping because I wanna ride I’m not riding with no bushings.. while I have everything apart pulled clutch cover remove clutches cleaned blah blah blah blah wanna check my deflection and beltway and time to change the tranny fluid

·
Registered
621 Posts
So washed and re-installed the skid plates (removed from last week's fiasco of drain/fill plugs). Removed the clutch cover and measured the wear of the primary clutch buttons and secondary rollers..Still fine at 5300 miles!

Removed everything necessary to check valve clearance (this time removed the front plastic--much easier!). Intake valves are tight again! Went from .006 to .004 and .003..Have to order new tappets again!

Found the annoying rattle I have been chasing for 2 years...The exhaust shield is loose..Tightened clamps and will put some stainless steel zip ties on it to help support.
That shield is annoying, my rattle is the starter bendix bushings, wondering if the bendix itself is getting worn n hung up not fully retracting after starting…it goes away when your moving tho haha and that familiar polaris gearbox wine is refreshing like an indy car going off roading, love that sound

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Today was a really nice day so I did yard work but yesterday I took all the plastic off the 1k. Cleaned the radiator really good. Took the right side frame rail off so I could take the gear selector assembly apart. Ordered some bronze bushings from quad logic for the shifter. Plugged a tire.

Went thru about 1 qt of brake fluid bleeding the front brake system but lever still feels spongy. I think I might blow it up out of irritation.

Bled it at the master, both calipers and the bleeder down on the foot master.

Still spongy. They work buy not right

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,808 Posts
Mike, there is a pecking order on how to bleed the system. Longest first to shortest lines last.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Today was a really nice day so I did yard work but yesterday I took all the plastic off the 1k. Cleaned the radiator really good. Took the right side frame rail off so I could take the gear selector assembly apart. Ordered some bronze bushings from quad logic for the shifter. Plugged a tire.

Went thru about 1 qt of brake fluid bleeding the front brake system but lever still feels spongy. I think I might blow it up out of irritation.

Bled it at the master, both calipers and the bleeder down on the foot master.

Still spongy. They work buy not right

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
It’s took about three sessions for mine after I change my front pads and worked on my rear I plan it I took turns moving the handlebar high to low left and right letting all the air come out but to be honest in the end it really corrected itself when they just riding it these are strange machines I was going to put mine back together and realized it’s Sunday and tractor supply and all those other stores are closed I can’t even get any half ass bushings for the meantime but I did a bunch of work to the clutches and other maintenance work that needed to be done and I’ll go over the entire bike again to check all the fasteners and make sure nothing else is loose like that one was because I have my son with me and they got it held up until the end of the day he was driving his self also very good at it for a nine years old and starting off riding a 500

·
Registered
621 Posts
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Just got back together, idk how to play a video, i have what appears ti be maybe a bent secondary (driven) clutch bolt..the secondary is a little wobbly on there..and my belt is riding closer to the outer sheave , would mean I need more washers behind secondary to bring it out correctly right? Any tips

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
On your machine you need to add/subtract washers behind the secondary to align the clutches. Adding a washer pushes secondary out so belt will be closer to inner sheave. Removing move secondary in so belt would be closer to outer sheave.

You mention the belt towards outer sheave on the secondary, how does it look on the primary? I'd be more concerned with it riding in center of the primary and adjusting the secondary to make that happen. If the secondary doesn't spin at idle, even after giving it throttle a few times, I'd call it good enough.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Mike, there is a pecking order on how to bleed the system. Longest first to shortest lines last.
I'm with you on this. I'm working the hand brake only. Started at the bleeder on top of rear master. Then Front right. Then Front left.
Didn't work out for me and got me all irritated.

I've done street bikes with all new, fancy accossato masters with braided lines and radial calipers in less time. My vmax clutch, which everyone on the forums bitch about being a bear, with new lines new radial master in less time. I replaced every brake line from master to ABS to all 4 wheels on my kids car before last annual inspection in less time than I've spent trying to get a solid lever on this ATV.

·
Registered
621 Posts
On your machine you need to add/subtract washers behind the secondary to align the clutches. Adding a washer pushes secondary out so belt will be closer to inner sheave. Removing move secondary in so belt would be closer to outer sheave.

You mention the belt towards outer sheave on the secondary, how does it look on the primary? I'd be more concerned with it riding in center of the primary and adjusting the secondary to make that happen. If the secondary doesn't spin at idle, even after giving it throttle a few times, I'd call it good enough.
I apologize, primary it’s riding closer to outer sheave

·
Registered
621 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Fuel tank Tire Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
I maintained visual on my snorkel opening lol…nope, installed these in 10 mins..thdy have add ons might grab 4 more and use em as a rock light type look…not bad for 22$ ar wally world, took secondary back off, took C clip off and preloaded the spring..set at 2&2 on clutch new pucks in and shaved the helix a bit so smooth where it engages.. also removed 1 spacer j added awhile ago it definitely freewheeling better now..before more of engine braking and the 97 doesn’t have eNgine braking per se..they all do to an extent just not like the specific ebs ..picked up my complete rear All Balls bushings kit today but ive been working on a kawasaki 450ltr frame that has a 2017 Z1000Rengine infused into the frame it’s insane that rhis 150hp engine is on a quad, thank goodness for sprocket gearing and being limited by that…someone going to get hurt on it, I drove it other day and the urge to punch it ws quickly erased when i just took off and then hit 3rd gear the fronts lifted about 2” with absolutely sh*t forthrottle input…scary

·
Registered
621 Posts
I honestly love this old machine. So well kept, was free lol, and the po js a local cop so he didn’t have time to ride it haha he works nonstop even at 59 he’s putting in 2-3 shifts a dah for different boroughs and sheriffs office good dude

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: MrEd
681 - 700 of 753 Posts