Polaris ATV Forum banner
701 - 720 of 753 Posts

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
621 Posts
Wait…..what…..Negative Cameltoe?……oh…
Never mind.
Lol…darn voice text, I gotta watch myself around all the sharp minds here haha…i just saw the reference to cameltoe im like huh..then saw negative cameron 🤣…mmmkaaaa

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,809 Posts
Well, took both clutches off today as my out west trip is 7 weeks away for service. Secondary looked as new, everything tight, rollers just like new, just cleaned sheaves with green pad. Primary one-way was spinning both ways, so replaced it with new. Cleaned sheaves with green pad. Funny thing it was still shifting smoothly without issue??? Old one-way was dry no grease present inside. Installed a new Polaris brand belt, as I was still running my OEM belt from factory. 196 hrs, 2292 miles

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,307 Posts
Well, took both clutches off today as my out west trip is 7 weeks away for service. Secondary lookd as new, everything tight, rollers just like new, just cleaned sheves with green pad. Primary one-way was spinning both ways, so replaced it with new. Cleaned sheves with green pad. Funny thing it was still shifting smoothly without issue??? Old one-way was dry no grease present inside. Installed a new Polaris brand belt, as I was still running my OEM belt from factory. 196 hrs, 2292 miles
?? Didn’t you recently replace the one way bearing?…..like 4-5 hundred miles ago.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
?? Didn’t you recently replace the one way bearing?…..like 4-5 hundred miles ago.
It was replaced at 812 MILES
1480 miles on this one

Reactions: Doc8404 and MrEd

·
Registered
590 Posts
Let's see..My Sportsman 570-Finally got the bucket for the valves..Completed to valve cover installed....My skidoo snowmobile-changed oil & filter, chaincase oil, and reverse motor (not finished). My friends Yamaha snowmobile-Put chaincase together and discovered why the drive shaft wore a hole in the case (magnets came loose)..Reinstalled the drive shaft bearing and brake assembly..bled brakes..

So...60% done on my sportsman, 80% on my skidoo, and 30% on yamaha.

·
Registered
621 Posts
On a kawasaki 450 frame, I replaced the timing chain, guides put new buckets in reinstalled cams, cleaned valves and reinstalled the manual timing chain tensioner…did I mention that there’s a Ninja Z1000R engine stuffed in there? 🤣🤣…drained oil letting it do so overnight as I cleaned everything out in there. As of now it’s got the valve cover back on and tomorrow the 4 throttle body intake assembly, fuel injection, all harnesses and vacuum lines etc will go on and the vacuum and injection systems will be synced. This thing is an absolute nightmare on 4 wheels. Thank god sprockets will hold it back somewhat but u simply at no point can go full throttle on this monster.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel
The old guide that the tensioner rides on was mid adjusted and the chain chewed through the inner side rail n fell into the side of the engine block rubbing somehow it still ran but sounded like crap …hopefully tomorrow will reveal a different animal. Changed trans fluid on my 500 sportsman and ordered new front shocks and bushings for it.
Membranophone Musical instrument Drum Idiophone Drumhead

Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tread

Hood Automotive tire Engineering Electrical wiring Technology

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Well, took both clutches off today as my out west trip is 7 weeks away for service. Secondary looked as new, everything tight, rollers just like new, just cleaned sheaves with green pad. Primary one-way was spinning both ways, so replaced it with new. Cleaned sheaves with green pad. Funny thing it was still shifting smoothly without issue??? Old one-way was dry no grease present inside. Installed a new Polaris brand belt, as I was still running my OEM belt from factory. 196 hrs, 2292 miles
Follow up pictures of my one-way primary bearing that was replaced today. 1480 miles on this bearing.
Automotive lighting Light Rim Automotive tire Gas

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Rim Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
1500 miles per one way ? Better then what I get but still,,,,Thats not good. IMO
First one was 820 miles. This one 1480.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
1500 miles per one way ? Better then what I get but still,,,,Thats not good. IMO
How often are you changing yours?

·
Registered
621 Posts
First one was 820 miles. This one 1480.
How do you know if it’s going bad? And this is on the primary? …I believe mine is 1 of thoss cheapo ebay clutches, it’s definitely not a Polaris but i got the quad about 1-1/2 years ago now, didn’t have it back together until about last august-September I stripped it to the frame from the clutches back and replaced u joints on axles, prop shaft, engine mounts in rear @ bottom replaced all fluids and bushings in back so far and shocks. I ask because im not sure if it’s the lack of weight or too much or whatever makes it engage/disengage etc and at what rpm or how to alter these numbers and im also not sure how often they are lasting except by your guys posts of them. Looks like a god forsaken nightmare to do lol

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
How do you know if it’s going bad? And this is on the primary? …I believe mine is 1 of thoss cheapo ebay clutches, it’s definitely not a Polaris but i got the quad about 1-1/2 years ago now, didn’t have it back together until about last august-September I stripped it to the frame from the clutches back and replaced u joints on axles, prop shaft, engine mounts in rear @ bottom replaced all fluids and bushings in back so far and shocks. I ask because im not sure if it’s the lack of weight or too much or whatever makes it engage/disengage etc and at what rpm or how to alter these numbers and im also not sure how often they are lasting except by your guys posts of them. Looks like a god forsaken nightmare to do lol
Yes its on the primary. Freewheeling downhill,Hard shifting,creeping and whining noise are a good sign.But they can also be signs of clutch alignment. Pull the cover,does it say polaris on the clutch?start the bike.Does the belt ride in the center of the primary?Pull the belt.Does the belt have chunks cracks,glazing?(Replace belt)
in between the primary sheaves grab the one way bearing,does it spin in one direction,( (y) )or both directions((n)).And to add to that My last one spun in one direction but it was shot:cautious:
What bike are you working on?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes its on the primary. Freewheeling downhill,Hard shifting,creeping and whining noise are a good sign.But they can also be signs of clutch alignment. Pull the cover,does it say polaris on the clutch?start the bike.Does the belt ride in the center of the primary?Pull the belt.Does the belt have chunks cracks,glazing?(Replace belt)
in between the primary sheaves grab the one way bearing,does it spin in one direction,( (y) )or both directions((n)).And to add to that My last one spun in one direction but it was shot:cautious:
What bike are you working on?
My 500 sportsman. No it’s not an oem clutch think it’s a flea bay 130$ 1…got it like that. I replaced the belt last year when I got it back together it’s a timken ultima something..it was theur 2nd most expensive belt…the. Next 1 up has more rins/teeth on it I believe for more clutching. I’ve been messing with the shims on secondary clutch inside ans behind it the belt rides pretty much in the middle of the primary no creeping in gear, shifts easily, but the secondary ive never been able to get it to sit still in neutral..it’s always spinning. I’ll have to check the primary again for the OWB n see…for a cheapo clutch and I rebuilt the secondary last week, new helix, spring and pucks and cleaned it all up tbh they both need to be replaced this is a 97 and while the primary is newer the secondary is most likely 25 years old as is the machine. Runs like a champ tho. I usually go up to about 15-20 in low gear only thing is in hi it does take a few seconds for the clutch and belt to really engage and get going, usually I’ll feather the throttle n once im doing about 10-15+ mph it’s fine…beastly actually i can get in the mid 60’s on this old hog I still can’t believe it i use my iPhone 13 pro max gps so if anything it’s 1-3mph off tops…plenty of life left in the engine but I think I need a different size idle jet im at about 1100ft elevation and if it idles for a minute or so I have to bump throttle few times to clear carburetor out. Otherwise it’s pretty much solid.

·
Registered
621 Posts
1 thing I noticed since I cleaned clutches n changed pucks n shims the bike does seem to be more free when coasting down hills, used to feel like it had a little bit of engine braking maybe it was tje belt had alot of bite still then idk

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
4 new trailer axle wheel bearings, races, and seals. Removed to check and glad I did. Found this cup on the first one removed.
Cookware and bakeware Dish Cuisine Gas Ingredient

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Light Wood

Tire Automotive tire Wood Rim Natural material

Rim Gas Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

Wood Rectangle Font Wood stain Hardwood

Reactions: MrEd and pcaster

·
Registered
621 Posts
In scranton pa 3 days ago approximately 4in rain fell in 40 mins flooding a prone area, someone (not admitting fault that they actually drove in deep water) said they were basically inundated instantly by 3-4’ of water pooling in this area..it does happen fast due to the 4 intersection all being uphill from the bottom where it pools…2013 jaguar xj was a victim of sucking in some agua…i took intake manifold, plugs, coils, trans fluid, oil, filters, throttle body and air boxes off, replaced battery, battery control module on negative post in trunk, reset fuel pump inertia switch, diagnosed bad battery, alternator and starter, engine was hydro locked. Everything is fixed except jaguar’s gotta reprogram anti theft bc of battery situation wont allow the car to attempt to crank, the trans selection dial is not rising to shift and wont prime fuel pump. Besides that it could have wiped a computer on it because there’s about 16 fuses that aren’t getting juice. This could be th Anti theft also so i am not proceeding until i speak to jag i don’t have $ to replace the car lol. After that ill try bumping the starter etc myself to override. There’s no water in cylinders it didn’t even get in the oil amazingly but the manifold was half full
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Eyewear Personal protective equipment Gas

Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Communication Device Finger Gadget Font Red

Light Gadget Finger Measuring instrument Communication Device

Finger Gadget Communication Device Font Material property
All dtc
Codes gone, warnings, traction control malfunction warning etc all gone and cleared just waiting for confirmation on the status of cpu units…i hate computerized cars. Love my 99 ram, gear selection is never compromised no computers to tell me j cant start this kr turn that on too expensive and too much hassle

·
Registered
590 Posts
So I finished my 2019 570 SP (Valve adjustment, throttle adjustment, fluid change(new drain and fill plugs), upgraded rear springs, wheel bearing grease, rear hub bushings (garage products, battery relocate, clutch check/blow air, shorten winch wiring, brake check, and new spark plug). The gasket for the clutch cover is split, so another part I need to order.

Worked on my Skidoo snowmobile..Put the reverse mechanism, muffler, and battery back in..Tested, reverse isn't working correctly, will have to take apart and check adjustments.

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
2,181 Posts
So I finished my 2019 570 SP (Valve adjustment, throttle adjustment, fluid change(new drain and fill plugs), upgraded rear springs, wheel bearing grease, rear hub bushings (garage products, battery relocate, clutch check/blow air, shorten winch wiring, brake check, and new spark plug). The gasket for the clutch cover is split, so another part I need to order.

Worked on my Skidoo snowmobile..Put the reverse mechanism, muffler, and battery back in..Tested, reverse isn't working correctly, will have to take apart and check adjustments.
Maybe get a non oem gasket for the clutch cover ? They have some made out of a better material

701 - 720 of 753 Posts