Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the CC number at which an ATV becomes a "big bore" ATV?

Is it the overall CC?

Is is the CC of each individual cylinder?

For example, if you have a single-cylinder 400, and that is considered big bore, would a twin 400 also be considered big bore, or not, since each cylinder is only 200 CC?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
There was a time when 350cc was "big bore"

That said id say anything 800 on up now days is considered big bore.

EDIT: The term is used kind of loosely, IMO it refers more to the overall CC's of the engine rather than the bore of each cylinder

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's pretty much a relative term.

350cc was "big bore" compared to a 200cc, but now that we have 1000cc, nobody's calling a 350cc big bore anymore.

But a twin 650cc, which is two 325cc cylinders, is still considered big bore.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^basically yes

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
I consider anything 600cc and up "big-bore".

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought it meant that the bore diameter was bigger than the length of the stroke.

Sent from my Galaxy 4 using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it meant that the bore diameter was bigger than the length of the stroke.

Sent from my Galaxy 4 using Tapatalk 2.
Ah, but that would be too hard for most people to figure out. :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
overall CC is what I considered for big bore. >600 is a good class. most states limit CC's to 999. so you the >600 Class covers half the CC range and anything under that would be considered small bore.

You'll note that Polaris differentiates their ATV's on their website as <600 CCs and >600CCs. So the >600 are the Big Bores.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If you actually use the term as it was meant to be used, big bore means the size of the opening for the piston to travel in. A 500 single actually has a bigger bore than a twin 850, as far as the size of the piston opening, but as stated already most consider engines with combined or single bores over 600 ccs are considered big bore machines.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
twin cylinders are usually considered big bores. Does this help anyone.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Like others said, the bore on a 500 is actually larger than an 850. So nowadays it is based off total cc's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts