1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think the value-line 400, 500, 800 would be more reliable. They're older, longer running models and are 'tried and true,' and are simpler in general since they have less electronics, gadgets, etc. Though I don't think that a used XP would necessarily be unreliable either. It would really be a matter of how well the owner maintained it. You'd have to either see service records, or hopefully talk to the owner enough to feel comfortable trusting that they maintained it well. You could check a few things, like the oil, air filter, play in the bushings, etc so get a basic idea of if it was cared for or neglected. 2000 miles is not the end of a machine's life if it was maintained well, but if you have any doubts, I'd probably avoid mileage that high.

My 400 gets close to 100 mile a tank pretty consistently, for what its worth. Any of these machines would suit the majority of your needs, as all of the late models have very similar cargo and towing capacity, and they all have low range. I probably wouldnt get pre-2011 400, as they are smaller and may not suit your plowing and hunting needs. Not sure what the used ATV prices are in your area, but here, used machines were selling for $4000-5000 so I figured I'd just go new for an extra grand. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I get approximately 145km/90miles on a tank of fuel with my 2012 400HO. I have 3,600km/2,250 trouble free miles on my Sportsman.

The 400 was moved from the Hawkeye chassis back to the fullsize chassis for model year 2011. The 455cc (400ho) engine in the Hawkeye chassis would be a rocket. Not sure how much aftermarket support they would have if you wanted to mod the chassis, like lift kits and such,

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts