Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am new to this site and sorry if this question has been already answered. I have a 1996 sportsman 500 and the engine is gone. I am looking to buy a whole engine and just swap it out. What other years will work on this bike? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
well I'd shoot for an HO engine

Year wise it could be all the way up to nearly current, just stick with carb since you'd need all the electronics to go w/efi (higher cost/more complex). I would go with at least a 2000 or 2001 up, the earlier engines have a tendency to sometimes have their cam wear down too soon. The HO engine has a larger carb (40 vs. 34mm barrel=more gas=more mid to highend power) and a longer duration exhaust cam (so it breathes out that extra burnt fuel). Look around on ebay, craigslist, take your time, often i see pretty new engines, low usuage after some nut rolled the quad and ruined the rest of it.

Not sure what your budget is but here's a 500HO on ebay w/160lbs compression (strong) for $999 delivered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Spo...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=301103407895&

Good luck! :cowboy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Polaris Sportsman engine fitment

Hello from Louisiana. I am new to this forum, but I've been lurking since I purchased My sportsman 500 ho in 2012.
I to am having engine problems and I'm looking at replacing engine with one from a wrecked bike. My son purchased a 2000 sportsman 500 4x4 that "only needed carb cleaned. After going thru the carb, setting the valves, checking the cam ( cam looked good, valves were right except one needed minor adjustment , can't get it to rev and idles very poorly. We even tried a carb from a bike that has 50 hours on it, with same results. We tried unplugging transmission wires one at a time. It also seems to want to overheat (Premature detonation comes to mind).Coughs and sputters when throttle is applied. Do not have a compression tester, so compression unknown. Anyway I just wanted to give a idea of what we are dealing with. I found an low hour 2006 450 sportsman engine for a decent price. It looks almost identical to my son's 500 engine. would this work for me with out to much trouble?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts