·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best oil and filter to run in the sportsman 570 after it's broke in

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Mobil one 0-W40 and Purolator filter Both can be bought at wal mart, and will save about 50% over buying the Polaris oil change package. Buy the five quart jug for the best savings. Good for 21/2 oil changes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobil one 0-W40 and Purolator filter Both can be bought at wal mart, and will save about 50% over buying the Polaris oil change package. Buy the five quart jug for the best savings. Good for 21/2 oil changes
I run Mobil in my two vehicle that's awesome oil do you know the part number for the filter

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do most sportsman run the same filter? I currently have 5 different size and year of quads and 1 rzr. Would be nice to know that they all take same size and I can order a case.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Do most sportsman run the same filter? I currently have 5 different size and year of quads and 1 rzr. Would be nice to know that they all take same size and I can order a case.

Not sure about the 90 but the Pure 14610 or 14612 will fit everything else. If you run Mobile 1 0W40 you can get it by the jug at Wal Mart and they also carry the Pure filters. Save a ton of money and get it all at one place.

Ronnie

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks that's what my plan was. Will check the 90.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Not sure about the 90 but the Pure 14610 or 14612 will fit everything else. If you run Mobile 1 0W40 you can get it by the jug at Wal Mart and they also carry the Pure filters. Save a ton of money and get it all at one place.

Ronnie
What's the difference in the oil filters

·
Registered
426 Posts

Ronnie
14610 is about an inch longer than the 14612, otherwise they're exactly the same. 14612 is the stock size, but if you have room for the longer filter, you get a little more filtering media which means a little more dirt holding capacity.

However, the only way you'll really need the extra capacity is if you severely neglect your machine. If you're changing your oil and filter at the recommended intervals, the stock size filter is more than adequate.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ronnie
14610 is about an inch longer than the 14612, otherwise they're exactly the same. 14612 is the stock size, but if you have room for the longer filter, you get a little more filtering media which means a little more dirt holding capacity.

However, the only way you'll really need the extra capacity is if you severely neglect your machine. If you're changing your oil and filter at the recommended intervals, the stock size filter is more than adequate.

Thanks I'm going to walmart lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you're going to Walmart, I'd take a few of the bucks you saved on oil and get a Fram Ultra filter instead of the Purolator Classic. XG6607 is the short one or XG7317 for the longer one. Avoid the Fram orange cans, but the Ultra is one of the best filter out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're going to Walmart, I'd take a few of the bucks you saved on oil and get a Fram Ultra filter instead of the Purolator Classic. XG6607 is the short one or XG7317 for the longer one. Avoid the Fram orange cans, but the Ultra is one of the best filter out there.

Thanks I run Fram on my two vehicles

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Not trying to argue but just bought an ultra Fram for my car and it was a cartridge style (no can) and it was a POS compared to the AC Delco that came off of it. I have been using Fram for years but I'm done after seeing what's in the guts of the Ultra can! I run Napa Gold now.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Not trying to argue but just bought an ultra Fram for my car and it was a cartridge style (no can) and it was a POS compared to the AC Delco that came off of it. I have been using Fram for years but I'm done after seeing what's in the guts of the Ultra can! I run Napa Gold now.
I think those cartridge filters are completely different than the canned filters. Here's what's inside a Fram Ultra can. They're very well made. They have wire mesh backed synthetic media, metal end caps (unlike the cardboard end caps in the regular Frams), and a silicone anti-drainback valve.

I'd probably be running them, but I got a good deal on some Royal Purple filters.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am not a fram person...but that filter looks well built....lots of good things said about it on the oil forums....its for extended drains also..15,000 miles....nice synthetic media with a stainless screen behind it for support...long ways from their cheap orange cans....this has the nice end caps...heard they are not expensive..like 8 or 9 bucks with a rebate of 2.00 after....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

What do you think about the Fram Tough Guard the silver can

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think those cartridge filters are completely different than the canned filters. Here's what's inside a Fram Ultra can. They're very well made. They have wire mesh backed synthetic media, metal end caps (unlike the cardboard end caps in the regular Frams), and a silicone anti-drainback valve.

I'd probably be running them, but I got a good deal on some Royal Purple filters.

I guess I would have to track down some test data but the number of pleats are much fewer with the Fram so I'm guessing less filter area. My oil pressure improved also when I switched from Fram to napa gold on my truck so I'm guess restricted flow with the Fram and that was a canned ultra guard. Don't know the answer but there seems to be an issue in my experience. Loved the hype on the box though and can only hope it was true to some extent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fram is flat out garbage. Do not run them. They have no bypass valve and will implode and blow up your engine. I don't know of any fleet companies that will even run them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fram is flat out garbage. Do not run them. They have no bypass valve and will implode and blow up your engine. I don't know of any fleet companies that will even run them.
While I'm not much of a Fram fan, this statement is 100% wrong. Millions of people use Fram filters with every oil change with absolutely no problem whatsoever. The only real thing wrong with Fram filters is that they're a horrible value, since there are better filters out there for the same or less money. The only Frams that don't have a bypass are the ones made for applications where the bypass is built into the engine, mainly GM engines. Other brand filters made for these engines will not have a bypass either. Yes, if you go searching the web you can find lots of pictures of failed Fram filters. They're a mass produced product just like any other oil filter, so there are going to be a certain number of defects. You can find plenty of cases of failed Purolator or Wix filters too.

Here's a Purolator with holes in the media.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...27/Purolater_Classic_9k_miles_1_y#Post3245027

And here's a Wix filter with the media ripped wide open. This wasn't doing much filtering at all.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...s/3245178/Napa_Pro_Select_failure#Post3245178

There are many more examples if you want to search for them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts