Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual says tcw-3 rated oil......which basically gives you the option of snowmobile or outboard oil? I can't seem to find any specific atv oil with that rating. My synthetic Shell nautilus oil says designed for water-cooled outboards. The 250 TB is air-cooled......what do you use?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
In MN I run something snowmobile rated all year round as they usually have a colder pour point and flow better in the cold than the outboard stuff.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Penzoil for Air Cooled Engines was always the oil of choice in the Ultralight Aircraft community. I used it exclusively and never had any oil related issues nor anyone else that ran it. The biggest no no at that time was running "two stroke racing oils". The word on those was racing engines are designed to be rebuilt on a regular basis and the oils were not designed to product longevity of the engine but designed to product the optimum results for racing only.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
use an oil designed for air cooled engines...it will lube better than water cooled designated oils....Marine engines an other water cooled engines run at cooler temps..so oil is designed for that...air cooled runs hotter so has to be able to lube at that extra heat..

I have a 2 stroke engine on my puddle jumper boat to fish farm ponds.. and it says in big letters...Do Not use TWC-3 oil...use air cooled oils..same warning on my Stihl chainsaws,,,so any good air cooled use oil should be fine...synthetic would be my choice...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Amazon link above...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I had a '90 250 TB and used the Cenex oil from the local station. Never any problems in 12 years. My sledding buddies swear by the Amsoil product that Miker showed you above. ^

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Here is another Amsoil alternative... I run this in my sleds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a chart.

TC-W3 is designed for air cooled engines used on water. Its a deep subject but a lot of what goes into these spec's is dictated by EPA requirements. Some federal lands and waters won't even allow outboard motors to be used.

Interceptor would be the 1st choice and Injector the 2nd choice for the quad. Injector costing much less than Injector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like Klotz

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run the Evinrude/Johnson/OMC 2cycle from walmart. No problems yet, even smells like my johnson on my boat when it runs, haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some from my research I am using my Shell Advance Synthetic snowmobile oil that I already have 5+ litres of. Its rated JASO FD and API-TC its low ash and given that it will be riding in cold weather too.....it is what I will be running. Best rated 2T oil you can get right now is FD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts