Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My dealer says its perfectly ok to use semi syntetic 10w-40 oil in my Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, thats what he always use on all mashines. He seams lika a serius guy with a lot of knowledge in general. But the manual says Polaris full synthetic oil 0w-40.

What is the opinion on the Forum on this

Jonas

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0W-40

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think 10w40 full synthetic is fine , I usually buy that ,or 0w40, whatever is at the store when I go. Full synthetic is not affected as much by temperature as regular petroleum oil so I wouldn't worry at all about using 10w40 synthetic.
The worry is the oil won't circulate quick enough to the critical parts of the engine if a thicker oil is used, again , synthetic oil viscosity isn't affected enough in 0/40 or 10/40 to worry about it .... IMO
I use amsoil synthetic oil ...

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
Just follow the guide lines in the manual and then you won't have to worry about it. I use Polaris fluids, followed the recommended break in procedure and maintain regularly. The people who design and build these machines know what works best for them. There are a lot of people here who seem to think they know better than Polaris does and will recommend all manner of fluids. The choice is yours, but when in doubt just use what Polaris says is best for their machines and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mystik 0W40 is good ATV oil for the money but it's only available at Mills Fleet Farm or Blain's Farm and Fleet here in Wisconsin. Plus it's under $6.00 a Quart!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Never run a 10W in your machine. To high of viscosity at start-up. Most use 0W-40 but you could use a 5W in a pinch but it will only cause more wear at start up as compared to a 0W. Most commonly used oil on this forum is Mobil 1 0W-40

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Hi

My dealer says its perfectly ok to use semi syntetic 10w-40 oil in my Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, thats what he always use on all mashines. He seams lika a serius guy with a lot of knowledge in general. But the manual says Polaris full synthetic oil 0w-40.

What is the opinion on the Forum on this

Jonas
The Polaris spec is 5W50. Run a full syn like Quaker state.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have run Shell Rotella T-6 for years in all my Quads including a 1987 Suzuki LT250 4x4 with out problems...all run like new....in my 2002 sportsman 500HO I run shell with a oz of Sheaffers Moly E.P. Engine Oil Treatment and not an engine tick ever....great cold starts an never a drop burned....I use the Shell T-6 pure synthetic 5-40...I heard the reason polaris went to a 50w on thier oil was that the 40w broke down to fast and after long runs broke down to a 30w...plus the oil sheared to fast....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have run Shell Rotella T-6 for years in all my Quads including a 1987 Suzuki LT250 4x4 with out problems...all run like new....in my 2002 sportsman 500HO I run shell with a oz of Sheaffers Moly E.P. Engine Oil Treatment and not an engine tick ever....great cold starts an never a drop burned....I use the Shell T-6 pure synthetic 5-40...I heard the reason polaris went to a 50w on thier oil was that the 40w broke down to fast and after long runs broke down to a 30w...plus the oil sheared to fast....
I agree with your comments. Everything I have read about oil shows that the 40 Weight synthetic oils are the most shear resistant as compared to 50 weight oils. I have heard lots of good things about the Rotella T6 but I'm sticking with my Mobil 1 0W-40 as it's a bit cheaper than the Rotella at Wal-mart and it has served me well. My 850 is nearing the 200 hour mark and 2000 miles and still runs like new and it gets run hard. I change the oil every 50 hours if I'm not driving it hard and every 25 hours if pushing it hard. The great thing about synthetic oils is they don't really break down like dino oils, they just get contaminated with your engines byproducts of combustion so if the oil looks clean and clear it’s probably still ok but I would never go more than 50 hours between changes. Oil is too cheap and it’s the lifeblood of your engine not to change it regularly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just follow the guide lines in the manual and then you won't have to worry about it. I use Polaris fluids, followed the recommended break in procedure and maintain regularly. The people who design and build these machines know what works best for them. There are a lot of people here who seem to think they know better than Polaris does and will recommend all manner of fluids. The choice is yours, but when in doubt just use what Polaris says is best for their machines and you can't go wrong.
"Ditto"

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
"Ditto"
No one uses Polaris fluids because Polaris doesn't make fluids. The have them made by someone else and they don't seem to have a clue as they have changed their viscosities three times in the last few years and usually don't provide the viscosity on their bottles, they also like to change the names to futher confuse the consumer. I will stick with oil made by an Oil Manufacturer such as Mobil, Penzoil, Castol, ect..rather than the oil aquired by Polaris by the cheapest bidder for maxium profit for Polaris. Same goes with the other "OEM" oils. Actually, the only OEM oil that rates well from my research is Honda oil but still don't know who makes it. I believe running unknown oil from an OEM can lead you down the primrose path so good luck to those who do. Have seen many oil analysis of Polaris oil and they don't do well as compared to other oils.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I use Polaris fluid in the front diff. Going to try some Petro Canada Duratran synthetic, simply because it is a UTH, and I have sone leftover from a tractor service.

Other than that, Demand drive does not cost any more than anything else up here, and it gives me an excuse to visit the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
No one uses Polaris fluids because Polaris doesn't make fluids. The have them made by someone else and they don't seem to have a clue as they have changed their viscosities three times in the last few years and usually don't provide the viscosity on their bottles, they also like to change the names to futher confuse the consumer. I will stick with oil made by an Oil Manufacturer such as Mobil, Penzoil, Castol, ect..rather than the oil aquired by Polaris by the cheapest bidder for maxium profit for Polaris. Same goes with the other "OEM" oils. Actually, the only OEM oil that rates well from my research is Honda oil but still don't know who makes it. I believe running unknown oil from an OEM can lead you down the primrose path so good luck to those who do. Have seen many oil analysis of Polaris oil and they don't do well as compared to other oils.
I think we all know that Polaris doesn't make their own oils. How many times do we have to hear that as the argument. Whoever is making them is making them to the specs provided by Polaris engineers. For the sake of keeping it simple, if it comes in a Polaris branded bottle, lets all call it Polaris oil. It helps most consumers to know what to buy for their machines, and keeps them from using the wrong fluids. Not everyone wants to spend the time and do the research to try to save a couple of dollars once or twice a year. Even if they do, all you find is what people "think" is a comparable substitute. I'm not arguing that Mobile 1 0W-40 isn't a good substitute for motor oil, but any other fluids used in the atv, it's just purely guess work, with no real documentation to back it.
Now for all of those who use the argument "nobody knows who makes their oil", then if that is the case, how do you know it's not made by Mobil, Penzoil, Castol, ect.?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree with the 25/50 hour oil change intervals for an ATV especially if done by the owner. In colder weather the trip out to feed or five minute ride to the deer stand is very hard on the motor oil vs the machine that runs 30+ minutes every time it starts.

Any synthetic of the API grade and weigh per the Polaris manual should be fine which means using the brand of oil Polaris is reselling at the time it is bottled should cover one well.

The problem using what ever Polaris is reselling one has no way of knowing what it is to know it is the 'best' option. The high markup is not even an issue. If one does not know and understand motor oils Polaris is just fine. If one is knowledgeable about motor oils and already stocks motor oil that meets Polaris requirements using Polaris rebranded oil is counter intuitive. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
"Ditto"
I guess no one uses Honda oils either because "we" don't know who makes it either. The point is, use what the machine calls for. I suppose a reputable oil producer like Mobil does make a fine product and if it is a match for what the manufacturer of the machine recommends than it is most likely ok to use. I feel plenty safe using the Polaris "called for" products on both of my Polaris Sportsman's 2006 models, still running strong and never a non Polaris fluid put in them by me. Unless one is sure of what they are putting in their machine they should stick with what it calls for and within reason money should not be the issue or it will be the issue in the long run.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts