Polaris ATV Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Buying Universal Tractor Fluid from Polaris can work.

How much are the alternatives? Considering that I can get at least 3 changes out of a $12 (USD) bottle of Demand Drive Fluid I am not sure it is worth it. I am sure there are those who have paid less than me as well.
UTF as noted is around $2+ a quart BUT most of us buy it in 5 gallon pails.

Clearly for those that do not have UTF already setting in the shop paying 6x the going rate for just a quart from Polaris makes the most sense.

·
Registered
426 Posts
How much are the alternatives? Considering that I can get at least 3 changes out of a $12 (USD) bottle of Demand Drive Fluid I am not sure it is worth it. I am sure there are those who have paid less than me as well.

I have a few litres of Duratran synthetic out in the shed, around $160/18L. The OP is no where near a Polaris dealer, but should not be too far from a Kubota dealer. Not sure how much Kubota charges for a jug, but oil does not go bad.
A John Deere dealer would be another option. They sell the J20D fluid in quarts, but I'm not sure what the price is.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Treacherous, It's not just that I had some on hand, as I did have some of the popo stuff laying around. When I had originally asked if anybody had an alternative in my thread (Feb 2013), I was also wondering if anybody had done research on an all-universal fluid to use in every part of my quads, except the engine. I have 3 quads, all Polaris. Also, I change all the fluids 2 to 3 times more often than recommended. So, with an 18 litre pail, I can do the hiliard diffs, and all 3 tranny's, at least 2 times in a year, for less than 50 bucks. So, I did some research, and came to the conclusion that UTF would work for both uses. Some people on here run 5w30 in the transmissions, and they are correct in doing so. John deere J-20c is 5w30. popo's AGL fluid is very similar. J-20d is a 5w20, will work as well in the gearboxes. I'm not sure if UTF would be thick enough to use in the place of angle drive fluid tho.. Folks use 80-90 or similar.. (Though UTF does lube the ring and pinion gears in a tractor)

·
Registered
426 Posts
The actual John deere fluid is quite pricey apparently..
I found a place that has it for $4.29/quart or $16.82/gallon.

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-Deere-Low-Viscosity-Hy-Gard-Oil-TY22035.html

I'm glad I found that. Sometime in the near future I will be getting a John Deere 425 garden tractor. (hand-me-down from the wife's grandparents) It requires J20D for the transmission and hydraulic system and takes 2 gallons of it.

On a side note, we also have a Kawasaki Prairie 360. (wife's ride) It recommends Mobil 424 or equivalent in the rear end, which is also a J20C equivalent. I've been using "Universal Hydraulic Tractor Fluid" from Fleet Farm in it, which is about $12/gallon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, you have me sold on it! lol. Apparently, the J20d id just a higher grade of the J20c, so I will also use the TDH in the rear diff of the girlfriend's Polaris phonix. Where did you find the quarts of JD fluid at that price? The local tractor place is asking something like 10 bucks locally!

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
By the time he gets cornholed by UPS with their duty, cheaper off to get Kubota SUDT from a local dealer. Plus, a much better oil.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes get from Kubuta or a John Deere dealer..I called mine an it was 6.95 a quart..but I am only paying 8.95 a quart for demand drive Plus from my dealer also...some farm stores may have it in bulk also..worth asking....and bring your own jugs.,...I get my bar an chain oil that way....

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
0w-40 syn Royal purple here

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
By the time he gets cornholed by UPS with their duty, cheaper off to get Kubota SUDT from a local dealer. Plus, a much better oil.
Just go down to the local parts store and get some Synthetic ATF. Don't have to worry about who has what and where to get it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just bought Mobil 1 0W40 oil for my polaris sportsman 500 and it says European Car Formula on the front. Is this the oil all you guys use? I just wann make dure thats the right kind.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just bought Mobil 1 0W40 oil for my polaris sportsman 500 and it says European Car Formula on the front. Is this the oil all you guys use? I just wann make dure thats the right kind.
Yes, that's the right stuff.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts