Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked many times, but for my 2001 sportsman 400, should i use 0w-40, amsoil 0w-50 mobil 1 or 5w-50 castrol i usually only use my atv in the winter, what would be the best oil for me

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im running polaris oil in the engine and transmission right now, im pretty sure its a 0w-50 , i also have some castrol 5w-50 synthetic, probably going to use mobil1 or amsoil from now on

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I know this has been asked many times, but for my 2001 sportsman 400, should i use 0w-40, amsoil 0w-50 mobil 1 or 5w-50 castrol i usually only use my atv in the winter, what would be the best oil for me
With that said..... "usually only use my atv in the winter". It's recommended that a "good" quality synthetic in the 0W40 or 0W50 range is used. Note: The "0" in 0W40, is basically the cold weather pourability or how "fluid" it is at cold temps. And a "0" is rated for -40°F ambient air temperature. And the "40" in 0W40 is the warm weather ambient rated for up to 100°F. As for the flavor / brand.... pick your favorite brand, pour it in and use it. Some of the most popular alternatives by members of this site are: Pure Polaris (for those that follow the owners manual like it's the Bible), and most others use.... Mobil1 0W40, Amsoil 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Shell Rotella T6.... and so on!

Also in Canada and the Northern States... a 0W40 would be suitable year-round oil.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good advice from Matthew there, I'll toss up another vote for the Mobil1 0W40 "European Car Formula".

I also use a Purolator L14612 oil filter. About 1/3 of the cost of the Polaris filter here. Exact same dimensions, same number of inlet/outlet holes. Yes, I actually bought the $12 Polaris filter, took it to Wal-Mart and spent close to an hour comparing filters until I found the right one. Then I took the Polaris one back to the dealership for a refund. Yeah, I'm that cheap.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yeah, don't be like me and get hosed for the Polaris oil and filter. There are Better choices out there that can be had for much less $$$$

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up 5w-50 castrol for my sportsman, should I get some 0w40 instead

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Like I said in another thread... There's a helluva lot more engines running Mobil1 than there are running Polaris oil... Guess which one I trust?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
With that said..... "usually only use my atv in the winter". It's recommended that a "good" quality synthetic in the 0W40 or 0W50 range is used. Note: The "0" in 0W40, is basically the cold weather pourability or how "fluid" it is at cold temps. And a "0" is rated for -40°F ambient air temperature. And the "40" in 0W40 is the warm weather ambient rated for up to 100°F. As for the flavor / brand.... pick your favorite brand, pour it in and use it. Some of the most popular alternatives by members of this site are: Pure Polaris (for those that follow the owners manual like it's the Bible), and most others use.... Mobil1 0W40, Amsoil 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Shell Rotella T6.... and so on!

Also in Canada and the Northern States... a 0W40 would be suitable year-round oil.
Nice write up Matthew! However, the second number is the viscosity rating at operating temperature or 100 degrees Celsius or 212 deg F. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Nice write up Matthew! However, the second number is the viscosity rating at operating temperature or 100 degrees Celsius or 212 deg F. :veryhappy:

BTW I recommend any 0W40 synthetic but I prefer Dos Equis or Mobil 1

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
LOL

I don't always change oil but when I do...

·
Registered
312 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1390963780044.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
I picked up 5w-50 castrol for my sportsman, should I get some 0w40 instead

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk
If u bought synthetic oil , you're fine. Just buy 0w40 synthetic next time. I use amsoil.....

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

BTW I recommend any 0W40 synthetic but I prefer Dos Equis or Mobil 1
Kevin, make sure you don't get the filler holes mixed up for those two, or you might have a very bad ticking engine, but you'll have great bowel movements...lol

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
What Oil

Now being in Texas it dos not get as chilly as say Alberta, North Dakota you get my drift. Living here it gets warm. I use a full synthetic 5W30 with a Wix filter Oh yea, the oil I use is full synthetic Oriellys. Ken
2013 Sportsman 400

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Now being in Texas it dos not get as chilly as say Alberta, North Dakota you get my drift. Living here it gets warm. I use a full synthetic 5W30 with a Wix filter Oh yea, the oil I use is full synthetic Oriellys. Ken
2013 Sportsman 400
Ken, why a 30 weight rather than a 40 in the warmer climate? Just curious....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I plan to go to a 40 wt as soon as I get some hours on it.They were out of the 40wt at the time.Buy summer I will have some hours on it and will go to the 5W-40 weight

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ken..you being in Texas..if your in the hot part like southern....where it gets over 100 alot..you can even use 5W-50 if you choose....when you got it new...I m sure it was loaded with at least 5w-40 in it....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the information but 50Wt is just to thick.Come June I will have 5W-40 in it.Thanks for your opinion, Ken

1 - 20 of 46 Posts