Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see what oil everybody is running. Lets make it a simple thread and not bash everybody for that is the wrong weight, or I wouldn't run that type of oil. Lets just put down what you are running and see what everybody runs for the flavor of the month.

Mobile 1 0W40 in my XP and X2.

Ronnie

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mobil 1 0w-40 in my 570

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 5-40 with 3 ozs of Ligui Moly added for a moly coated parts on cold starts...Pure 1 or napa gold filter...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Been running Shell 5W-40 T6 Synthetic because it beat min requirements of Polaris manual and it the oil that we stock for gas and diesel engines at we service on the place.

To get more zinc and phosphorus plus moly for our older machines with flat tappets we are moving to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 for the ATV's. Maybe both with get Liqui Moly Ceratec before started after just getting new rod bearing and rings. I know the one that had the spun bearings will get the Liqui Moly Ceratec to give the moving parts a ceramic coating that is so popular in Europe after years of use.

Thinking of using the 325 with like factory new crankshaft as a control in testing Liqui Moly Ceratec since both are of the same age and size so as to try to see if Liqui Moly Ceratec does lower engine oil temps since the 325's are not water cooled.

I do not slam the oil Polaris sells but prefer to know what is in the oil I use. We do not ride in 0F temps so we do not need less than 10W for winter use. Shell 5W-40 T6 or Mobil 1 0W-40 have the best specs of any motor oil I have seen to use in most four stoke Polaris engines that is priced fairly and accessible on short order. I do use other brand filters but feel very comfortable with WIX (makers of the NAPA Gold line as well).

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think T6 is good or would have used so much of it even today but I think this was for the old formula and currently zinc and phosphorus content is more in the 800-900 range. Do not know if moly is same level with current generation T6 or not.

For the old air/oil cooled 325's we are moving to Mobil 1 10-40 High Mileage to get moly and zinc/phosphorus in the 1000/1100 range as is in Mobil 1 0W-40 (European version).

Of course the moly in Liqui Moly Ceratec will cover my quest for more moly plus ceramic coat bear surfaces.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Mobil 0w-40 in my 13 500

·
Registered
575 Posts
I switched this past spring. I was using the Polaris PS-4. I ran the PS-4 "Extreme" Duty for one run in my 550. Now all my stuff has Shell Rotella 5w-40. I feel its a better oil and its alot cheaper. When I switched oils I went from Polaris filters to the Purolator PureOne filters

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i was told the formula is the same...I asked to jobber in work when he came to take shops order....here is a recent VOA....that all started by some one saying it got reduced....but it has not he said

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7051/6980463061_bf4a8a6af3_z.jpg

alot of oil comps have dropped the zinc an phos PPM's down due to build up on cats....

Mobil 1 HM is 1000 phos..1100 zinc

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Mobil 1 0-40, or occasionally Syntec 0-40.

Mobil 1 ATF in the front diff
Valvoline 5w20 Synthetic in the trans
75w90 Synthetic Gear Oil in the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Mobil 1 0W40 in the engine....Amsoil in the rear differential....Polaris in the front end...going to switch to TXRonnie's suggestions for the Tranny and such on next go around.

·
Registered
505 Posts
All the rotella t6 I see says for diesel engines? ?? Is there a different t6

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
All the rotella t6 I see says for diesel engines? ?? Is there a different t6

it can be run in both....why lots run it..its a good heavy duty oil....if you read it..says for gas or diesel....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok kool ill take a closer look at it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mobil 1 seems to be the favorite.

·
Registered