Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading posts about looking to buy an atv. How does say a grizzly operate? My 500 is the first I've owned. The ease of 4wd system I couldn't see buying anything else. I'm sure some of you have ridden other makes, how do they compare?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd say each brand has both it's strong and weak suits..... Coming from Honda's, the Polaris has a far better ride comfort (no matter what suspension the Honda has, solid or independant rear). I've riden a few Yamaha's and they are a nice machine too, but have the reputation of being tippy. If I was looking at other machines I'd have to consider the Yamaha Grizzly and Kawasaki Brute Force.

If I were you, I'd look on Craig's List find a few machines in your local area and go kick some tires and take it for a test ride for something to do. As, only you can determine what feels best for you!!! Within the top name brands I wouldn't worry to much on maintenance costs.... as eventually they all will have them, it's the cost of owning any "machine". But rather find something that suits your needs and comfort the best!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I like everything about Polaris but the auto 4x4. I wish it was real 4x4.

·
Registered
772 Posts
LOL, no, I mean that a rear wheel has to spin before you are in 4x4. I dont like that. I want all 4 wheels locked in. Other than that Polaris has the most suspension travel and ground clearance and they have a head light in the pod, and the largest factory tires.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's 1/5th of a revolution... The AWD/4x4 system kicks in long before you even realize that the back tires have spun...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
what other brands have to offer
well Can am will leave you with a empty wallet, wow they are spendy

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like everything about Polaris but the auto 4x4. I wish it was real 4x4.
I to kinda wish these had a different 4x4 setup...

It's not that the AWD system doesn't work. it works very well actually! but the problem is that it's still just a reactive AWD system... IMO an Active AWD system would be ideal.

maybe something like the 1973-79 Chevy K10s. full time 4x4 "mechanical AWD" with an on the fly driveline lock!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Simply put.

If you want a lower maintenance, "more reliable," lower power machine that has an inferior ride quality, go with the Japanese quads. Ride 'em, park 'em, repeat.

If you want a higher power, higher performance, great riding, but high maintenance machine, go with Polaris or BRP. Ride 'em, smile like crazy :veryhappy:, maintain 'em, park 'em, repeat.

They ALL break, contrary to what the uniformed lemmings on youtube say.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
And Polaris on demand AWD is hands down the best 4x4 system IMO. Visco-lok has had huge improvements in the last few years, but is still a second behind Polaris.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's 1/5th of a revolution... The AWD/4x4 system kicks in long before you even realize that the back tires have spun...
1/5 of a revolution is 5.2 inches. once it begins to spin I can feel it. Yes I can feel the front kick in too. But if you are in snow and in tight woods this is not ideal. I dont want to spin the rear at all before the front pulls. Makes it hard to steer pushing the front instead of pulling me in the direction I want to go.
I should not have to spin the rear to make the front pull.

and how quick does the front become disengaged once the rear quits spinning?

·
Registered
772 Posts
besides that, spinning the tires is doing nothing more than getting you stuck. I dont want to spin the tires, I want to move forward. There should be a way to lock all 4 tires so they drive not spin.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I suspect you're over thinking it, splitting hairs. The Polaris AWD reacts so fast it doesn't matter. Seriously, don't worry about it.

A 4WD system that would be always " locked " in would be very hard to steer the rest of the time, Such a system would truly suck and would quickly get " bound " up. As such, it would have to have a limited slip aspect built in and that would make it less effective than the Polaris system.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Good point. But how quick does it disengage causing the rear to just slip again?

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
155 Posts
Haha wtf.
Is it better to get stuck then put the 4x4 in difflock like other brands? ;)
The front gets disengaged ASAP (I think the rpm must be under XXXX something). Its right in your manual!
The only bad thing with Polaris AWD is that its not as reliable as many other brands.
But owners with manual diff lock gets stuck before they put it in engage (you must standd still to engage it)... Then bouncing front wheels will break it. :( (grizzly is a good machine)

Can Am has the best reliability according to me. But dont like their 2013---> diff (XMR)
About 10 ppl in Sweden are very unhappy. But of course there are happy buyers too!

SOrry for my bad english. Enjoy!

·
Registered
772 Posts
so I guess Polaris is a compromise so you can deliver power to all 4 wheels without binding up the system. I just hate pushing the front end around under low speed. I wish there was a way to lock all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
155 Posts
so I guess Polaris is a compromise so you can deliver power to all 4 wheels without binding up the system. I just hate pushing the front end around under low speed. I wish there was a way to lock all 4 wheels.
Hm. My sportsman 800 -12 locks all four wheels when needed. But you have to drive those 5 inches or so to make it happen :) :cowboy:

·
Registered
772 Posts
maybe you dont understand what I am saying.

Picture this, you are on ice covered snow, you are stopped and want to turn right, your rear tires have enough traction to propel you forward but your fronts dont have enough traction to turn. There is a tree 2 foot in front of you. What do you do?

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Simply put.

If you want a lower maintenance, "more reliable," lower power machine that has an inferior ride quality, go with the Japanese quads. Ride 'em, park 'em, repeat.

If you want a higher power, higher performance, great riding, but high maintenance machine, go with Polaris or BRP. Ride 'em, smile like crazy :veryhappy:, maintain 'em, park 'em, repeat.

They ALL break, contrary to what the uniformed lemmings on youtube say.
I like how u packaged that. nicely put. to the point and true. this concept is just not grasped by the general riding public. if u put the power of a Polaris in a handa the handa would become a far less "reliable" machine. if u put the strongest most, capable, best engineered, and reliable 4x4 system our Polaris's come with on a handa the axels would break at a far greater interval then they are on the Polaris. I use handa in my example because they are the most reliable, under powered, uncomfortable to ride, 3-wheel drive quads on the market.

And Polaris on demand AWD is hands down the best 4x4 system IMO. Visco-lok has had huge improvements in the last few years, but is still a second behind Polaris.
also a very true real statement. when the general riding public makes the statement on how Polaris could improve their 4x4 system (not to say they couldn't, it would just be economically impractical) they don't have an understanding on how 4x4 systems work.
1/5 of a revolution is 5.2 inches. once it begins to spin I can feel it. Yes I can feel the front kick in too. But if you are in snow and in tight woods this is not ideal. I dont want to spin the rear at all before the front pulls. Makes it hard to steer pushing the front instead of pulling me in the direction I want to go.
I should not have to spin the rear to make the front pull.

and how quick does the front become disengaged once the rear quits spinning?
this pushing u are describing is an engineering aspect of these machines. on one hand its a safety feature. in the event that an operator was to make a high speed over steer the bike would push (slide the front) instead of biting and ejecting the operator. on the other hand the bike has greater traction with its rear axel.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts