Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 2003 polaris predator 500 on craigslist for 1100$.This is what the description said.I am selling my 2003 Predator, I really don't have as much time to put into it as I would like. If seriously interested, email [email protected] and I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions and tell you more about the quad. Also, I DON'T HAVE TITLE!! PRICE IS FIRM!!! NO TRADES!!!

Items Needed:
-Headlights
-Heel Guards
-Battery
-Rings (Does blow a little smoke, but has great compression and performs awesome)

Does this seem like a good deal and if so how much would it take to buy those parts and get them installed by a mechanic?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
it is priced about right, even with what is wrong. low value is $1,455 and average value is $1,915.

two things that scare me though...no title and the smoke. I dont know where you are located and what the rules are regarding ATV's but if he doesnt have the title he should be able to apply for a "lost title" re-print. at the very least, you need to get the full 17 digit vin# from him and run it with the DOL and police to verify this is not a stolen quad, because if it is, when you go to registar it, they will take it from you to give it back to the rightful owner and YOU are out the money.

also, DO NOT take his word on the compression. that needs to be looked at by someone experienced before you buy it. if its burning oil, there is a chance there is damage to the cylinder walls, crank bearings, ect. how do you know that they have been not letting the oil level get too low.

as far as OEM priced items:
headlight assembly: $85.96 each
heal pocket: $16.52 each
heal pocket support frame: $128.96 each
battery: $89.99
piston rings only: $32.13

typically you cant just replace rings and call it good. there is usually a lot more involved that needs to be cleaned, replaced, or fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well i live around scranton PA and no i do not know much about the rules either. Im 15 and looking for my first quad so i do not know what to do. Im looking for a 800 to 1800 price range and 300 size and up.this quad seems a bit to take care of so i do not know what to do.Does anyone think this is a good deal or how much work it would take to fix it up

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
you are probably looking at $600-800 to have someone fix this right....and it might even be more! my gut instinct is telling you to walk away. i dont like the fact that it doesnt have a title, that just screams stolen to me. this thing sounds like it has been ridden hard and put away wet. who knows what else is wrong, but if this thing is this trashed.....im afraid you might get in over your head. there are lots of quads out there, you need to find one in your price range that is ready to ride since you dont have a disposable income to put into this i assume since you are young. what you need to do is to try to find some quads that somebody doesnt use that much and just wants to get rid of. and dont discount a 250 2-stroke. lighter, quicker revving, and overall easier and less expensive to maintain if they are in good shape

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
odds are it will need more than just a set of rings. On a 7 year old sport quad,bored and new piston most likely ,
tell him $500. bucks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts