Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3500LB winch right now with steel cable and im looking to upgrade to synthetic but i have no clue what size i should go with and be safe without it breaking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
50' x 3/16" rope is what I use and it has worked very well for me.
Remember to replace the roller fairlead or get a hawse fairlead when switching from wire cable to synthetic rope.
If you don't the rope will get cut by the rough edges the wire cable has left on the old roller fairlead.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
3/16's is the norm ..but i went with 1/4 inch..was just a few bucks more...and a roller composite fairlead....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would go with 1/4 inch synthetic for a 3500 lb winch. Or 3/16 wire which I prefer as I ride lots of rocks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Go with the largest that the winch will handle especially if you are in the mud. I don't think if the rope is actually an upgrade, just a preference by some. I have seen both the cable and ropes break. I have had no issues with cable ever.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is my 3/16" Wire Cable after 1 year never used to plow. It broke on a pull out of a peanut butter like mud hole. Luckily I had is heavy towel on it or it would have taken my buddy out.

This is my 3/16" synthetic rope after 2 years of use.
Has been used a lot more then the cable and looks almost brand new.
I do not use it to plow with I switch to a 10' plow rope for that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would make sure its made by AmSteel -Blue....there are lots of inferior synthetic ropes....lower quality....I did a lot of research before buying mine....it depends on the class of the fiber....different grades....and Amsteel is made in the USA..not China as some others are...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It says its made up of Dyneema fibers and the cable capacity is 7700. Do you think the Dyneema is strong enough? Its from the same company i bought my winch from and the winch seems to be good quality. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts