Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this ? Just did an oil change and new filter. Now I see this after I replaced air filter. Not sure if pic uploaded EEE8EC6D-1D6E-4654-8FE5-CB516AB3CDA8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Yep, that's to put in engine oil

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i don't think its a big deal if u used dipstick hole ,
anyone ????

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Lol it's totally fine I actually did my first two oil changes by filling the dipstick hole. This is also how I changed the oil on the 800. Who woulda thunk Polaris would have put in an actual oil fill cap!!!

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I think on the 800s the only way to get oil into it was the dipstick tube. Maybe that was the 700s. Doesn't really matter how the oil gets into the engine as long as it gets in. The cap on the valve cover makes it easier, but as long as you got oil in, all is good!

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Yup 800 the dipstick tube doubles as the fill tube. That's why it never occurred to me that there was a fill cap on the 570. The configuration of the 570 the fill cap makes life easier for sure.

Funny story, when I installed my ricochet skids on the 800 there was no hole to access the motor oil drain plug. So for an oil change or two I used my suction tube to remove the old oil through the dipstick tube. I eventually drilled the skids for access to the drain.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
the 500's dont have a filler cap either, 1998 to 2004 anyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup 800 the dipstick tube doubles as the fill tube. That's why it never occurred to me that there was a fill cap on the 570. The configuration of the 570 the fill cap makes life easier for sure.

Funny story, when I installed my ricochet skids on the 800 there was no hole to access the motor oil drain plug. So for an oil change or two I used my suction tube to remove the old oil through the dipstick tube. I eventually drilled the skids for access to the drain.

On my new 570 the factory skid plate wasn't welded in the correct place. Couldn't get the drain plug out. Had to notch the plate so you could get the plug out! Dealer and Polaris didn't want to do anymore, as the clutches and everything else seemed fine and in alignment.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

On my new 570 the factory skid plate wasn't welded in the correct place. Couldn't get the drain plug out. Had to notch the plate so you could get the plug out! Dealer and Polaris didn't want to do anymore, as the clutches and everything else seemed fine and in alignment.
Yeah that's a head scratcher!! I remember when I first read your post and saw the pics. I was for sure something was off and it had to be fixed. I guess if the wheeler is working as it should the the least invasive option was to notch the factory skid. Honestly at the end of the day it's the better deal for you. No one wants their new machine altered because of a mistake made in the factory I totally get that!! I guess if the motor/trans was mounted a little off and the factory skid was welded on a little bit off could be the answer to the access to the drain plug issue. But neither of those will potentially adversely affect the machine. So a little notch in the skid properly done and painted one would never know. I say keep an eye on things and ride it like you stole it, no worries!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts