Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 330 Magnum hasn't ran well 2 years.

What should I do?

I already changed my solenoid, starter, and my battery, but I don't know what else to do. It hasn't started yet due to an unknown problem. The solenoid makes a buzzing sound but my starter doesn't turn. Also my pull start doesn't work, I believe its the stator. I haven't taken it off yet but as far as I can tell its well rusted and corroded. Can I sand down the pads to reduce the rust?

Any tips or tricks would be great!
This is the first rebuild of any kind that I've done.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
First is the battery problem - a solenoid that just buzzes is not being closed due to the battery being discharged - if it sat for 2 years and the battery was not charged every 30 days, the battery is junk - get a new battery, dump the fuel tank and be prepared to clean the carb - if the fuel was not shut off, you will probably need to change the oil too, but wait till you get it started before changing the oil to get as much fuel out of the crankcase as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am only getting 7 volts from my battery after charging for 12+ hours. I was waiting to get a battery until I could get it pull started. The carb seemed clean, or at least acted clean. It opened and closed fine and the fuel was off during storage. How can I tell for certain?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Doesn't make any difference how long you charge a defective battery - it has to be replaced - if it was neglected for 2 years, it should not have been a question as to whether or not to replace it, but what quality of battery you should get?

On the other hand, some year models did not need a battery to run - if yours does not require a battery for ignition, you could jump start it and when you are satisfied that it is running right then put a new battery in it - if the battery holds 7 volts, then it is sufficient to act as a buffer so running it with a bad battery will not burn out the lights, but the electric starter will not work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My quad has a pull start and it still doesn't even try to spark.I just replaced the ignition coil but not the battery. If i have the battery on a charger set to cranking amps that still doesn't work. What would be the next step?

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
If your battery is bad, the system won't work right even on a battery charger. Have the battery tested and replace if it's bad. Then you can move on to the no spark issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your battery is bad, the system won't work right even on a battery charger. Have the battery tested and replace if it's bad. Then you can move on to the no spark issue.
I have verified the battery is bad by charging it for 12 hours and only coming out with 7 volts. My pull start doesn't work though, and that is independent of the battery right?

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
No, if the battery is bad is sucks everything with it. I would replace the battery first and see where you are at after that.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
You need to know if the battery is part of the ignition system - what year model 330 do you have? Better yet, what is the VIN?

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The VIN is on the title, your insurance card and on the frame - if you look on the frame, look on the LH lower frame rail in front of the floorboard and inside the front wheel - 17 digits most likely starting with 4XAD32A

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
If I jumpstart the battery with my truck just to get it started could I check for other problems?

No, it probably won't help that way. I understand you don't want to buy a battery until you know it's gonna be worth it. What I have done with a few machines that I worked on without a battery is hook up my jump box and start it that way. So it you have one, disconnect the battery and remove it. Hook up the jump box tot he battery cables and see what you can get it to do. I would not do that off your truck though since the truck charging system could overload the ATV systems.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts

No, it probably won't help that way. I understand you don't want to buy a battery until you know it's gonna be worth it. What I have done with a few machines that I worked on without a battery is hook up my jump box and start it that way. So it you have one, disconnect the battery and remove it. Hook up the jump box tot he battery cables and see what you can get it to do. I would not do that off your truck though since the truck charging system could overload the ATV systems.
You can jump off a car or truck, just don't leave the engine running in the vehicle, attache the positive lead battery to battery ans connect the negative lead from the auto battery to a convenient point on the frame or engine of the quad and only connected long enough to get started - disconnect when not running the starter motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks it worked. I have it cranking but not started yet. My speedometer does not work, the 16 pin plug is broken, the clip snapped off, and the speedometer has moisture in it. Would you suggest buying a new harness or a speedometer?

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
What year? Post the VIN so we can get the right year. Different electronics depending on the year. You probably need the speedo plugged in and working to make it run. Model year can make a difference though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
First confirm the model year with the VIN just to be sure of what you have. You don't want to go looking for parts for an 04 and find out its an 05. There were changes made during the 2004 model year so we need to look it up and find out if it's an early on or later one. There are a few places we can check the VIN that will give the manufacture date. I am afraid some of the electronics you need are in the speedo. If it is trashed it might not run.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts