Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of what to take on a say a 10 mile trail ride? Particularly tools ? I will always be with at least one other machine but would like to be able to ride out instead of towed. Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
A cooler full of beer and a sandwitch. No really shouldnt need anything on a 10 mile ride.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Couple basic metric star tools, tire repair kit w/ pump, pop rivet pliers, vice grips, bailing wire, roll of duct tape, roll of electric tape, roll of t.p., multi meter, first aid kit, aspirin, rain suit, extra layer of warm cloths, cell phone, plug and plug removal tool and a tow strap, several bottles of water and you should be ready for Timbuktu.

GPS if you have one. I also like to take a small tarp. Excellent to put the bike on during repairs to not lose pieces. Also doubles as an emergency tent. A couple road flares will start a fire in the wettest of conditions. Hey, wasn't Gilligan just on a 4 hour tour? All this stuff is always in my seat box.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of what to take on a say a 10 mile trail ride? Particularly tools ? I will always be with at least one other machine but would like to be able to ride out instead of towed. Thanks
Surely you didn't mean 10 miles?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap I was forgetting the toilet paper :yikes: Average ride length will be 10 in and 10 out. Thanks for the replies so far and seeing things I would not have thought of, what about longer trips? Extra fuel is no brainer and maybe some oil?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
A ten mile trip is very short considering trail riding. I don't carry much when going only that far but a first-aid kit is always number 1 on any trip. Leave the beer back at the cabin. It doesn't belong on the trail. A cell phone, zip ties, multi tool, gloves, water and a snack should get you by.
[/LIST]

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are always with another quad, that reduces your needs dramatically. I have been stuck twice (once this year in good weather 9 miles and once in a 5 day torrential downpour in a truck about 15 miles that was sliding off the trail) and in real danger a third where I rolled my bike down a mountain and was pretty seriously injured with no cell coverage.

In addition to the stuff I mentioned above I also carry a couple (bic) lighters and several wads of steel wool (fire starter) a couple cans of Sterno, a dry change of basic cloths, hatchet, machete, plumbers tape and a small bag of various nuts/bolts/washers. Flashlights w/ extra batteries, 2 part liquid steel and all kinds of extra winch supplies and dyneema rope. I take the EPIRB from my boat now (though I doubt it would save me but might aid in recovery) For a couple years I had a Spot satellite tracker subscription. I carry a backup tie rod. A couple sealed cans of mixed nuts. Often a -30 sleeping bag. Several thermal emergency blankets. Of course, these are hunting trips, so there is always at least one firearm.

No matter what you carry, it's what you don't that gets you. This year it was the XP fuel pump. I may carry a spare next year.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
TP, first aid kit. a basic metric tool kit, TP, crescent wrench, Rope, shovel, flashlight, sterno, survival kit, lighter, gloves, cloths,TP, Tarp, more rope. tow strap, extra block, bottle jack, water, food, TP, cell phone (though I try to either ride with someone, or stay within walking distance as I don't depend on Cell service). extra fuel (even on the short rides), oh and last but not least TP.

·
Registered
71 Posts
cell phones?boy you guys live in pretty good places.500 feet off the road up here you can kiss cell phone coverage goodbye.tire repair kit.pump ,seeing as how its hunting season ,rifle and shotgun and lots of ammo.bear gryllis knife,cloths,food and energy bars,and just because I always have full tank and 6 Canadian gallons extra.no problem keeping warm with that much gas and if somebody was foolish enough to run out I can at least make sure their not going to die out in the bush .

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry ,redo, that's 7 1/2 gallons Canadian.1 1/2 imperial pac and one 6 gallon imperial can.i travel on the average 140 klicks usually and further if I want to go visit some of the camps in the bush where my friends are hunting.soon as I get off the highway its atv time ,particularly this year as because of the rain lots of bush roads are washed out to atv, only, and seen a couple this year that were impassable the washouts were so large an abrams would of disappeared in them.almost forgot the lifesavers gps and compass plus spare batteries.and a canteen of water.seems like I take a lot of gas, but some day somebody is going to be real happy to see me and that gas .I have noticed nobody has mentioned a spare belt or I didn't see it anyways and im guilty of that one up until this moment ,its on the list now.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
cell phones?boy you guys live in pretty good places.500 feet off the road up here you can kiss cell phone coverage goodbye.tire repair kit.pump ,seeing as how its hunting season ,rifle and shotgun and lots of ammo.bear gryllis knife,cloths,food and energy bars,and just because I always have full tank and 6 Canadian gallons extra.no problem keeping warm with that much gas and if somebody was foolish enough to run out I can at least make sure their not going to die out in the bush .
Bear Grylls knife? Which motel did he steal that from?? LOL

Take a Les Stroud approved Leatherman!!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Bear Grylls knife? Which motel did he steal that from?? LOL

Take a Les Stroud approved Leatherman!!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
hahahaha! :werd:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Toilet Paper (in a ziplock bag) or baby wipes
Pocket Knife or Multi-Tool
Bandanna
First Aid Kit (focus on threats to life, limb or eyesight, the rest can wait)
Basic Tool Set (the one that came with your ATV should be fine)
Ratcheting Bit-Driver (add some Torx bits that your machine uses)
Extra Water
Energy Bar(s)
12v Cell Phone Charger
Map/Compass or GPS
Tire Repair Kit (know how to use it)
12v Air Compressor or CO2 Cartridge Inflator
Headlamp (and spare batteries)
Tarp, Towel and/or Old Speaker Magnet
The Holy Trinity - Duct Tape/Zip Ties/Epoxy
Spare Fuses and maybe a couple of headlight bulbs
Appropriately-sized Hose Clamps
Spare 12-gauge or 14-gauge wire
Warm Hat
You should already be wearing Gloves
Sweatshirt/Fleece Jacket/Hoodie (climate dependent)
Lightweight Rain Jacket
Tow Strap and a Clevis
Gas

The list make it look bigger than in actuality.
You could probably fit this in a small backpack or a medium-sized waterproof bag.

It's a list, not the list.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
cellphones?boy you guys live in pretty good places.500 feet off the road up here you can kiss cell phone coverage goodbye.tire repair kit.pump ,seeing as how its hunting season ,rifle and shotgun and lots of ammo.bear gryllis knife,cloths,food and energy bars,and just because I always have full tank and 6 Canadian gallons extra.no problem keeping warm with that much gas and if somebody was foolish enough to run out I can at least make sure their not going to die out in the bush .
You have to remember, that along the USA'S east coast the cell phone towers probably outnumber the animals, so cell service isn't too hard to find. You might have to climb a hill or two to pick up a signal, but that signal is there somewhere. I'm sure out west it probably is a lot more scarce, unless you're near a larger city somewhere. Canada is probably a lot more cell unfriendly, but at least you have all that wide open beautiful country to enjoy

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
West coast is probably just as good as the east coast for coverage. Mid west/rockies I couldn't tell you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
don't care for leathermans.want a knife not a nose picker.point being a knife of any kind is better than zero.said with a smile .

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am seeing quit a few things I would not have thought of, what about a spare key, bear spray and do they make jumper cables for a.t.v.'s ?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts