Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you look at the blow up of the hub you can see the seal that goes in the back of the hub. It holds the back bearing for the hub. You should be able to put the bearing in its race and then put the seal in. Come to think of it the seal hole maybe bigger than the bearing and the bearing might be able to go in after the seal. Double check the old seal to verify if it looks bad. It might be OK. There are actually 2 sets of bearings (4 bearings total) One set is in the hub itself and one set in the strut. In the blow up of the hub you can see the Hillard clutch and the bearings and in the blow up of the strut you can see the magnet and the armature plate as well as the bearings and all the washers and lock nut. Don't unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the shock portion of the strut in place. Just take the nut off the top that holds the whole thing at the top mount to the 4 wheeler. The spring will remain tight as part of the strut. Again look close at the seal in the strut and the hub and see if the look buggered up or like they have been leaking. You might not have to replace them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Does anyone know the dimensions of the seals? I haven't been able to pull them, been raining but I'm goin to tractor supply right now and maybe they'll have them?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay just bought a pack of bearings l44649. 2 bearings races and a grease
Seal for 20 bucks. What exactly are the races because when I took out front bearing there was no
Race on it? This is my
First time ever doing
Bearings so I'm new to this. And will that seal fit you think?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OKay so put in new cv axle today, took apart hub and cleaned all bearings and put it all back together. Problem is that tire is hitting upper strut right next to tie rod end WTF! Wheel spins free and doesnt make noise and when I grab the top and bottom of wheel and wiggle its solid. Here are some pics. Please someone help me Im so close... Its the front right side that I did the work on. Here are pics of front end, then both left and right side and you can see the difference where the right wheel is really close and rubbing

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I noticed the struts are a little different don't know if this is my problem or not. Maybe you can tell from picks. If someone else can check theirs and let me know.. I really need to get this figured out

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay so just want to make sure. There were 4 bearings total and 2 had a smaller inner diameter than the other two. The l44649 bearings were the ones that were a little bigger and they were in the strut while the smaller ID bearings went in the hub. I just want to make sure that sounds right to you all because I know tt425 said the l44643 were for the inner axle bearings and I believe it may be the other way around. Just making sure here. I have super swamper tires on the atv, but Why is it that just the front right tire is rubbing and not the left one..? thats what I dont understand. Did I do something wrong on reinstallation?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Okay so just want to make sure. There were 4 bearings total and 2 had a smaller inner diameter than the other two. The l44649 bearings were the ones that were a little bigger and they were in the strut while the smaller ID bearings went in the hub. I just want to make sure that sounds right to you all because I know tt425 said the l44643 were for the inner axle bearings and I believe it may be the other way around. Just making sure here. I have super swamper tires on the atv, but Why is it that just the front right tire is rubbing and not the left one..? thats what I dont understand. Did I do something wrong on reinstallation?
I was trying to offer advice on the part #'s of the bearings. That way you didn't have to buy them from Polaris. I don't remember saying which bearing was the inside or outside bearing. The bearings should fit the cv axle. Did the hub not have any bearings,hilluard clutch or anything inside it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah and the advice was great I just want to
Make
Sure I did it right ( as to
Why tire is rubbing). Hub had all bearings races and clutch. Filled with oil and no leaks so I guess seals are good. I'm thinking it's rubbing because tires are super swamped vampires and are on stock rims I believe. I read that I can flip the tie rod
End..? Maybe that'll make up some space and a
Couple of washers as temp spacers.. I have 2 l44649 bearings 2 l44643 bearings and 4 races ready to
Install. I just don't want to remove
The races in there now and end up
Messing it up anymore and not being
Able to get in new races.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If the old races are not damaged don't replace them. You might just want to take the other side apart and look at it or study a parts diagram and make sure you have all the parts. Are you sure the strut housing and the hub had the races inside them?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
its common for larger tires to hit tie rod , put 4 3/8 washers behind wheel and see if it clears, can also put tie rod end on the bottm on strut then re=alighn

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Is it common that just the front right rubs? I'm gonna flip tre and add washers. How do I re align after? Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Flipped tie rod end. Added washers. Steering is lose now what's the best way to adjust. And wheels wobble a little. How should I fix

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Do not add washers on the wheel studs. This is not a good alternative to wheel spacers. Get some wheel spacers. As for the steering wobble, check and ensure your tie rod ends are tight since you did the flip.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts