Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have play in my left rear wheel bearing so I would like order a better quality bearing if possible. Any suggestion? Also the dealer wants $30 for the bearing or $120 for it installed. I was thinking of doing this my self to save almost $100. Is it a tough job or is $120 fair?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would not pay them $100 to do it.
I would either use bearing from the dealer or Timken bearings. I use no other brand of bearings.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have been through so many wheel bearings i havn't found any that is any better than the other. I usually just get on Fleabay and just order a set of ALLBALLS.

It is very simple to change the bearing. It takes about 30 minutes to do it. Be sure and put the new bearing in the freezer before you install it. Makes it go in alot easier if you let it freeze for about 30 minutes.

Ronnie

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always use Timken bearings in my Rubicon and that's on 35`s. Do you have a part # for the XP?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our local dealer(Polaris, Honda, Suzuki...) get over $100 hr. They dont bill anything less than one hour. Get a manual, ask questions here, grab a beer and tackle it yourself.
Ive used AllBalls for years. No issues. They'e not the cheapest but they seem to be good quality. I'm sure most of these bearings are made in China and rebadged but I would still go with a good name distributor like allballs or quadboss.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
You don't need a press if you don't have one. Drive the old bearing out with a big socket and hammer. Put the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours and carefully heat the housing up with a torch. You can easily drive the new bearing in place with the same large socket.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just remember to drive the brew bearing in with the socket contacting the outer race of the bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No matter what you use,take the seal off and flush the bearing out with solvent, then let it air dry. Do not use compressed air to dry it by spinning it. Re-Grease with a high quality grease and it will live much longer than it would coming out of the package.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got my rear hubs off but I could not get the old bearings to budge no matter what size hammer I used. Brought them into work today to have one of the toolmakers push them out in our screw press. My bearings are really shot, purchased a complete set of 4 off of fleabay for $59.00 shipped.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got it out here at the shop with a screw press. Much easier to let one of our toolmakers press the old one out and the new one in..........well easier for me anyway ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts