Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2013 Sportsman 400 HO is sitting in the garage after I picked it up yesterday. Plan on polishing it today and to do more research on winches for it. The dealer wanted $800 for a winch and install so I will be doing it myself. I have narrowed it down to the Viper 3000# that I can get for $205 with the mounting plate and synthetic rope. My other choice is the Badlands 3500#. I can get that for $80 with a coupon I have, but then I need the mounting plate which is around $60 along with changing the cable to a synthetic rope for another $55.
Question is can you use a roller fairlead with the synthetic or do I need to change that also?
Now I need to find time to get out and go for a ride this weekend.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Question is can you use a roller fairlead with the synthetic or do I need to change that also?
You can as long as it is brand new and rollers are smooth. Example: if you had a steel line on it and it put marks in the rollers then you change to synth, it will fray your synth line. Hawse is still the preferred fairlead for synth though.

·
Super Moderator
6,988 Posts
I have run nothing but a roller fairlead with my synthetic rope. In fact, the warn XT winch comes with a roller, not a Hawes. I don't see the advantage of one over the other. I've heard some people say you could jam the line in the rollers, but I would have to actually see that happen to believe it.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I wouldn't use anything but roller leads. no matter what cable I had. If you're winching appropriately there is no way for the cable to get bound up. but if you're trying to winch at weird angles I could see it happening.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just my .02 but don't go cheap if plan on using your winch a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts