Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just blew up my second dealer installed Polaris winch on my Scrambler.
Can anyone tell me from true experience if a WARN winch will last me longer?
My atv is heavy. Read my signature for the mods. We are always in mud. Deep thick mud.
My dealer is suggesting I go up to a 4000 lb Polaris winch but my gut tells me WARN 3500 should be more than enough.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My warn 3.0ci has given me some great service for the last 8-9 years. I use it to pull out brush and small stumps all the time. Not sure if WARN still does this but mine has a lifetime warranty on it.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
i bought a warn cause the are the best. the only thing that people are saying that is negative about them is the price. look into it but if im not mistaken the XT models are a completly sealed unit.

my last experience with a polaris winch was a couple of weekends ago i helped one of my riding buddies wife with her brand new winch on her brand new 2014 550 LE. we completly unspooled it because there was a loop inside a couple of feet from the end of the cable. she said, that particular day of riding was the first time she had used the winch and it was only a 20' pull. so i/we concluded that it must have came that way from the dealer/factory.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
People who have the Viper winches (max and elite series) seem to have nothing but praise to say about them. Sounds like quality is on par with Warn at a fraction of the price. I cannot personally speak from experience tho but im sure others will charm in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Runva winch on my Sportsman 400HO and on my Dodge Ram. Excellent winch and they are identical to Warn except much cheaper price.

·
Registered
188 Posts
People who have the Viper winches (max and elite series) seem to have nothing but praise to say about them. Sounds like quality is on par with Warn at a fraction of the price. I cannot personally speak from experience tho but im sure others will charm in.
I have two 850's which are heavily modified and get them suck quite often. I have the 4000lbs viper elite winch on both. I love them, the only time one failed me was when I forgot to clean my atvs after a day of mudding and left them sitting a couple months while a put a new engine in my other atv, then when trying to use it to pull a gantry crane up, the winch just clicked, i found that because I had left the mud on it It corroded the contactor. So I sent them and email telling them that it was broken and that I was out of warranty. They said they'd take care of it, and that it was an old model contactor, and sure enough a couple days later a new and beefier contactor arrived in the mail free of charge, and I don't have to mail the old one back! I love the two winches, the icing on the cake is excellent customer support. While Warns are really good winches, I personally will not be changing over to them, because at a fraction of the cost, I can get a Viper, and know that it will not let me down.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
One company.... SUPERWINCH.

I have used them on ATV and Jeeps awesome company good prices.

CW

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Superwinch terra. Only one certified waterproof. Doesn't seem to draw as much current from battery either. Love mine and is only one I would buy again (I had viper before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
531 Posts
i have to agree terra is a good winch.. dont quote me.. but doesn't warn make PO-PO winches?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the harbor freight 3k lbs winch. Has served me great for about a year now. At only about $100 I can buy 4-5 of them vs the warn. Just my two cents but definitely check it out.

2013 Sportsman 550 pursuit camo

Badlands 3000lbs winch

Atv-Guru Front Brush Guard

·
Registered
668 Posts
Promark Offroad winches have been good for me. I have bought several over the past few years. Very inexpensive and easy to install. A 2500# should be enough for a Scrambler XP.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've got a Warn. Can't say it will last longer, it's the only one I've had. We mud any chance we get,so its been used and hasn't let me down yet. My buddies had the Polaris winch in there 500's and burned them out just plowing snow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love both my vipers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just my two cents, I like the Superwinch Terra 3500, good Value and reliability

I have had Warn winch on my Jeep, good winch just expensive, solenoid went out after a year.

Owned a few Mile Marker winches and would not buy another one at all, First one I got solenoid didn't work at all, got new solenoid and a week later it quit, got another solenoid worked for about 6 months and then it quit. I will say this about the MM winch, it pulled hard when the solenoid worked. Although having the a solenoid go out is not the worse thing to happen cause you can just direct hook the winch to the battery, had to do that on 2 occasions with the MM winch

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
i have to agree terra is a good winch.. dont quote me.. but doesn't warn make PO-PO winches?
They used to. No more. Not sure who does now.
Superwinch here. Got 2 of them. Work great.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Has anybody tried the cycle country 3500 lb winch??. Theres a good deal at my local dealer . I just wanted to get some reviews of the winch.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
To be honest. I have not seen a brand out there that has been called junk. Of course you can always have bad luck with any electrical product, but don't see why not to buy one. I'm guessing there are really only a handful of actual mfg of winches out there and they just get small tweaks and re branded

1 - 19 of 19 Posts