Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I'm doing ok with a turkey baster but I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to fill the diffs and tranny on my 13 850xp. Just finished up with the rear now moving on to tranny and front diff. Post if you have a good maybe non messy way of doing things, I would like to hear all the ideas for changing fluids and greasing things.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
we use the little pump that screws right on the Qts it works great you can let the qt on the ground and run the hose to the tranny and pump up and down with your other hand
dealerships have them that sell boats, we use them to put oil in the lower units
costs 8.95

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I grease mine I jack up the front so the suspension will sag and give easier access to the zerks. I do the same for the back of the quad. A flexible grease hose is a must.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I inject marinade into my turkeys each year for deep frying and some of the bottles come with a plastic syringe and needle setup. Since I have a nice metal injector, I just save all the small plastics ones for the quad! Most are measured at 1oz so makes it easy to figure out how many times you'll need to draw fluid with the syringe. Tranny takes awhile since its a full quart, but I'm never in any rush so never a factor for me.

For bigger jobs on my trucks and cars I use the fluid gun which can be bought probably at any auto parts store but I know O' Reilys has one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Oh, and I tend to find it a PITA to fill rear diff when its level due to the "splashers" blocking fluid flow into the diff, so I just tilt the whole bike onto its left side and makes the fill much easier for both front and rear diffs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do the same as Indy. I started using these for truck differentials years ago.

I have also used these in reverse to remove oil from the crankcase when I overfilled a little.

Sta-Lube Gear Fluid Oil Pump

·
Registered
27 Posts
THIS is a quart bottle pump for the marine lower units. You can also add a barbed 90 or a 45 to the end of the hose along with a 2" stinger of clear hose to get inside the case. Use a ratio right cup to put the correct amount into your quart bottle pump pump pump and done. I did a chain case on a sled once that had a small plug tapped into the center of the drain plug which allowed me to thread the pump stinger into the drain plug for no chance of spillage. Good luck. EW

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't know if you can find one of these but it works slick. Has a shut off valve at the base of the container....you just give it a twist. It works perfect for my tranny on my 500, might not be as good for your application. For the front diff and hubs I use the plastic squeeze bottles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don't know if you can find one of these but it works slick. Has a shut off valve at the base of the container....you just give it a twist. It works perfect for my tranny on my 500, might not be as good for your application. For the front diff and hubs I use the plastic squeeze bottles.
That's what I use. Works fine so far.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have and use the same one for my bikes. Only difference is that I took a rubber bushing and cut it to size so that I can screw/thread it into the fill plug hole so that it wont leak. Screw in the rubber bushing, stick the funnel tube into it, pour in the measured amount of fluid, turn the funnel on, and watch it fill with no leaks. After I remove the bushing I double check the level and move on to the next housing. Simple as that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For my front and rear diffs I use this.
16 oz Metal Oil Can | Princess Auto
For trans. I use clear hose just smaller than fill hole with small funnel that fits in other end, hose about 1'6"to 2' long so easy to pour out in wheel well area.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I inject marinade into my turkeys each year for deep frying and some of the bottles come with a plastic syringe and needle setup. Since I have a nice metal injector, I just save all the small plastics ones for the quad! Most are measured at 1oz so makes it easy to figure out how many times you'll need to draw fluid with the syringe. Tranny takes awhile since its a full quart, but I'm never in any rush so never a factor for me.

For bigger jobs on my trucks and cars I use the fluid gun which can be bought probably at any auto parts store but I know O' Reilys has one.
Bi use a suction pump. Works perfect for both diffs and trans. Also does not make a mess.

Get the proper equipment and make the job easier for yourself.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I do the same as Indy. I started using these for truck differentials years ago.

I have also used these in reverse to remove oil from the crankcase when I overfilled a little.

Sta-Lube Gear Fluid Oil Pump
I have been using a pump like this I bought at the parts store for about 15 years.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Valvoline makes a pump that goes right on the qt size bottles. part # 818 or VV818 (depending on where you buy it).

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the pumps are nice..but when I need a measured amount like 5 oz its hard to know when u pumped it....plus I have hillard hubs ..so it works perfect there....

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

I also use this syringe. Takes a little longer to fill, because syringe only holds a few ounces, but works great and no mess at all

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
the pumps are nice..but when I need a measured amount like 5 oz its hard to know when u pumped it....plus I have hillard hubs ..so it works perfect there....
For instances like that, I also have a syringe that is designed for lube

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

Bi use a suction pump. Works perfect for both diffs and trans. Also does not make a mess.

Get the proper equipment and make the job easier for yourself.
"proper equipment" lol....

It's not about being easier, its about relaxing and having a good time with my dog and working on my bike after work when I finally have some down time. No need to rush through something for no reason.

I also use this syringe. Takes a little longer to fill, because syringe only holds a few ounces, but works great and no mess at all
x2, hardly ever a dribble since they sit flush to the housing while filling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts